Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Anyone have experience with the tairin hubs? Seem to be a pawl design with a disconnect that makes it similarly silent, and comes in a bit cheaper. Onyx seems proven durability wise though

Bump... question for the Onyx loyalists out there: I was thinking about buying my buddy's wheelset (WAO Union w/ Onyx Vesper hubs), so he let me borrow the rear wheel to test ride since I've never ridden an Onyx hub before. I did a little bit of reading last night on various forums and reviews, and a lot of people mention the "elastic-y" (or spongey) feeling when you engage the hubs. I definitely felt that but I really noticed it even more on steep, constant climbs. It's almost like the hub lost engagement for a split second on every pedal revolution, and I lost torque/power as a result. Is that normal, or is it possibly some crappy bearings?

Onyx Hub opinions

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Bump... question for the Onyx loyalists out there: I was thinking about buying my buddy's wheelset (WAO Union w/ Onyx Vesper hubs), so he let me borrow the rear wheel to test ride since I've never ridden an Onyx hub before. I did a little bit of reading last night on various forums and reviews, and a lot of people mention the "elastic-y" (or spongey) feeling when you engage the hubs. I definitely felt that but I really noticed it even more on steep, constant climbs. It's almost like the hub lost engagement for a split second on every pedal revolution, and I lost torque/power as a result. Is that normal, or is it possibly some crappy bearings?
    Maybe I don’t have this type of sensitivity, but I have no idea what you’re talking about. When I went to Onyx hub, I was a little worried about “kickback” on my full suspension bike. This never happened. Actually, I kind of feel the opposite of what you describe. They feel rock solid and quick. I like the no delay on engagement.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It was similar to this (minus the part about transferring energy to heat): https://www.mtbr.com/threads/are-ony...14048/#replies
    Last edited by smmokan; 12-31-2023 at 04:28 PM.

I think bad bearings. Was pretty common at one point on the vespers? I think they are pretty efficient drag wise compared to other hubs when coasting and they should feel rock solid once engaged. Mine feel like freaking rockets and instant compared to my 240s with 52tooth.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Onyx Hub opinions

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It was similar to this (minus the part about transferring energy to heat): https://www.mtbr.com/threads/are-ony...14048/#replies
    I read the thread, and all I can say is that after a full summer of riding I have none of the soft or not-instantaneous engagement that some people talk about. Mine is just like that guy’s in the shared YouTube video with the blue bike on the stand. I did buy it with the bearing upgrade and built it up myself.

My guess is the bearings are shot… happy to let my friend update those and I’ll give them another try.

When the Vesper first came out a few years ago they had some issues with slippage on the lighter weight sprag clutch. Now they've seemingly fixed it but a friend on Vespers said they had a spongy feeling compared to his classics. I think they still recommend the Classic over a certain weight and my wheelbuilder still recommends the Classics regardless. Never ridden the Vespers outside of a parking lot so can't personally comment but I definitely don't get anything like that on my Classics, and you never hear about it. I just deal with the weight.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 01-01-2024 at 11:38 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

FYI, mine are vespers.

maybe people are just repeating something they read ? Due to drugs/ old age I don't remember much but what i do remember is these 2 lawyers who had read stuff on MBA, would come into the shop to regurgitate stuff that Richard Cuningham had written verbatim, it was like they were repeating a legal brief
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    FYI, mine are vespers.
    The more I think about this I bet it’s just a bit more flex in the lighter weight shell and clutch in the Vespers effectively giving them a slightly ‘softer’ engagement than the Classics. Onyx for sure fixed the slippage issue with the Gen 1 Vesper in the first year. Considering Vespers for my next set of wheels.

All hub drive mechanisms have some degree of flex under power. The much vaunted i9 Hydra is engineered to use it. Initially only one pawl engages them with flex under power a second and third engage. That’s one of the reasons they can get the engagement so tight on that hub. May also give it a slightly softer engagement than other ratchet style hubs.

Mine are Vespers as well without any problems. And I’m 200+ lbs. FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

cut/paste, musta been Harvard graduates

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    maybe people are just repeating something they read ? Due to drugs/ old age I don't remember much but what i do remember is these 2 lawyers who had read stuff on MBA, would come into the shop to regurgitate stuff that Richard Cuningham had written verbatim, it was like they were repeating a legal brief

UBC law school at best ^^ but they did seem to have good memories, they always wanted a deal but we know they made lots of money ( cuz lawyers eh ) so no deal for them, they could have net made way more $ by just sitting in their office double billing a client. They weren't alone cuz often when people were repeating things they heard they use the same wording as what they read somewhere and 20 yrs ago that was MBA

I used to watch junior pull the front wheel up and bounce against the pawls on a cheap back wheel for half a minute, I always figured that had to be hard on the hub, he broke a lot of stuff but he never broke a hub
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I only feel some springiness when ratcheting. Sustained spinning feels just like any other hub.

It kinda sounds like the sprags are slipping. That can happen if they get dirty or contaminated. Mine were clean when I sent them in for service after 3 years.

Also Vesper curious, any more feedback? Mostly worried about how much abuse they’ll take, I’m ~210 w/o gear, ride hard but nothing crazy, like jumps and rough trails but only ride bike park a handful of times a year. Can the Vesper hold up? Somewhat curious about the kickback, but also on a CBF bike, not sure if that matters at all but I saw it mentioned…

CBF has minimal chain growth, I don’t notice it. If you’re in a high gear (small cog) and moving forward at a decent clip it’s literally not an issue. In a low gear and moving slow while getting deep into the travel is mostly when you’d feel it. Like an acid drop situation.

Mentioned it up thread, I’m light but ride hard-ish(?) My wheel builder recommended the Classic for bomberness.

Appreciate it, thanks!! Not sure if I want the weight penalty or if the classic is even available as an option for the wheels I’m looking at? Super concerned the Vesper isn't burly enough? Love the CBF perspective, thanks!

Seems at least a few guys in here get along fine with the Vespers, even bigger guys IIRC.

Oh I ride a Canfield BTW. Metal bike, it’s already heavy hahaha.