Scarpa Alien RS forward lean mod

I thought there was a thread on this somewhere but I couldn’t find it. I wanted to share a super easy forward lean angle mod I did for my Alien RS. The stock steepest angle just wasn’t enough for me, despite skiing them for the better part of 2 seasons. I came from the TLT family, which tend to have quite steep angles that I prefer. I had trouble keeping tip pressure on several pairs of skis, especially the Wailer 112s and Wailer 106s. The W112s were +1 of center but occasionally, if I didn’t keep hard pressure on my shins, I’d get back seat and the skis would go straight. So rather than remount several pairs of skis, I was determined to mod my boots.

The boots have “teeth” on the shell and walk/ski lever that adjust the angle in 2 degree increments. Rather than messing with the walk/ski lever I decided to drill the shell instead. I removed the T-nuts, slid the lever down one increment and drilled 2 new holes. My boots now have 15 degree lean with adjustability for more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8752.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	320263

Name:	IMG_8753.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	320264

Name:	IMG_8755.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	320265

Pic 1 - new holes
    Pic 2 & 3 - comparison of stock and mod

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nice mod. You could fill the empty holes with slices of aluminum rod and some epoxy, but probably don't need to as long as the screws stay tight and the interlocked teeth take all the loading.

Yeah, I was thinking of filling them with JB Weld, but not sure if it's necessary with the teeth doing most of the holding.

On another note, I skied 4000' yesterday of spring conditions: dust on crust from 11,000'-10'000' on 40+ degree slope, then corn and corn-like conditions down to 7,000'. They skied great. At no point did I get the dreaded backseat, downhill ski going straight reaction from the boots. I'm quite happy with the results. If I bought a new pair I'd probably do the mod right out of the box!