Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Peru's Cordillera Blanca and Huayhuash - Climbing TR, LOTS of pictures

Sorry Folks, (almost) no skiing in this one. Lots of pretty mountains though.

This summer I went to Peru on a 6 week climbing trip with a friend of mine named Page. We were planning on climbing a few routes in the Cordillera Blanca, and then maybe do something in the Cordillera Huayhuash.

Page and I went to college together in NH where we both got into rock and ice climbing (I think Page led his first trad route at the Gunks with me). Page has since moved to Utah while I moved back home to NYC. Back in 2003 Page had spent 3 weeks in the Cordillera Blanca, that plus his 3 months of college Spanish made him a Peruvian local as far as I was concerned. In late June off we went.
    This trip was planned after 1.5 other trips fell through. First we thinking about Kyrgyzstan, and then they had a revolution. Then we were headed for Peru and Bolivia, and tires were burnt in the streets of La Paz. Finally we were down to just Peru and hoping for political stability.

It was awesome.

I’m on the left, Page on the right

Total Tally:
    - 6 weeks
    - 6 summits, 5 mountains
    - 1 “Second most beautiful trek in the world”
    - 1 bent trekking pole
    - 1 badly bruised toe
    - 2 pairs of underwear and one set of “city” clothes
    - 1 massively overpriced 1am taxi ride from the Lima airport
    - 3 cases of general bowel malaise
    - A lot of chicken (crummy beer too)
    - Several destroyed socks
    - 1 trashed pair of sneakers
    - 4 different Hostels (apparently, 4’s the charm)
    - Big packs
    - No burros
    - Not enough calories
    - 1 amazing conversation with the most unassuming former mountain guide (middle aged Peruvian with a McDonalds hat) who had climbed every peak in the Huayhuash and in his garage had built a nearly scale model of the Cordillera Blanca and Huayhuash.

I'd like to apologize for the occasionally shitty photo quality. My digital requires recharging for its special battery and I didn't want to deal with the hassle. I was also worried about the camera being dropped/stolen/broken/etc... So I brought a bunch of disposables instead. Sometimes they did the job, often they didn't. Page brought a digital camera, which was not broken/dropped/lost/stolen, so if the pics are good then they’re probably his.
    An interesting thing about mountaineering is that you really can’t take pictures of the climbing, at least not on routes that can be climbed in a single night. With few exceptions most of our photos are of the mountains either before or after ascent, or of the route itself on the descent. You’ll have to use your imagination to guess at what the moments in between were like.

I’m going to leave out the day to day travel details as there are no photos to go along with a narrative, also such details are best shared over a beer. Come down to Brooklyn and we’ll talk. All the same, here are the basic details:
    - Leave NY
    - Arrive in Lima at about 12am.
    - Get ripped off by cabbie at about 1am. (damnit)
    - Meet Page the next morning, catch evening bus to Huaraz
    - Bum around Huaraz for a day or so, buy food, discuss routes, pack the bags and head out
    - Return from trip, gorge on food
    - Repeat last two steps

Actually, here’s one photo from Huaraz that some of you might find funny, Page did.

Trip 1: Yanapacha and Chopicalqui
    Yanapacha(the route went basically up the middle of the face):

Chopicalqui (our route followed the right skyline):

We headed out to climb these two peaks for acclimatization, neither are too technically difficult, basically snow slogs, but at about 21,000 feet Chopicalqui is the 4th highest mountain in Peru.
    Here’s basecamp, for the climbing trips we used a megamid and bivy sacks. For the Huayhash circuit we ditched the bivy sacks in Huaraz.

Here’s the less pleasant part of that plan in action at the Yanapacha moraine camp.

Yanapacha turned out to be an awesome climb. It started off with about 100meters of 45 degree ice, then a slog up a glacier capped with a final bit of steep (50-60deg) hard snow to a great summit.

Page descending Yanapacha’s glacier with the headwall behind him:

------------------------------

On Chopicalqui we had our first meeting of bizarre coincidence. At the moraine camp at about 5000M, I ran into a guy who lives 6 blocks away from me in Brooklyn. Damn…

Looking up the face:

Chopicalqi is supposed to be climbed in about 3 days. From the basecamp you hike up to the moraine camp, a place with pretty good views:

The next day is spent climbing the glacier to the col camp

…and the following morning you get up and trod up the ridge to the summit.

Page and I skipped step 3 and went straight from the moraine camp the summit, we were hardly speedy but still did catch a guided group of Slovenians on the summit who had started at the Col camp that morning.

The ridge is mostly a slog:

But it does get steeper:

Roads are steep in Peru.

That’s a single lane dirt road, by the way. Cars, buses, and trucks go both ways on it, it’s important to honk when you’re rounding a corner.
    My dog did not bite your dog, your dog bit first, and I don't have a dog.

Continued....

Trip 2: Tocllaraju times two
    For this one we had two objectives, the west face of Tocllaraju and a route on Ranrapalca. Once we arrived at the basecamp though it was pretty clear the routes
    we were thinking of doing to do on Ranrapalca were a bit spicier than we were ready for.

Tocllaraju’s west-face:

Ranrapalca lookin’ burly:

The hike in:

Ranrapalca being ‘out’ turned out to be a good thing, as we headed off for the west-face of Tocllaraju on an overcast night with no moon. The previous day had
    been cloudy as well, with the face of Tocllaraju blocked from good viewing. With nothing to go on but the guidebook description we searched the bergschrund by
    LED headlamp looking for a crossing. At about 4-5am we said, “fuck it” and just did the mountain by the “normal” route up the NW ridge.

An American guided group preparing to descend:

On the way down, now in sunlight, we finally saw several crossings over the bergshrund. We had been searching the big semi-circle, but all the crossings
    were down and to the right.

Two days later we were back and climbed the face in 9 hours. It was amazing, one of the best climbs I’ve ever done. Lots and lots of 55 deg ice capped with some
    steep snow climbing.
    Quote - Page upon making it up and over the bergshrund and onto the face, “Oh my god, the sticks are incredible!...[some time later]…And Dude, it takes screws!”

And Page approaching the final summit shoulder:

The one ski shot: That dot is a local Peace Corp worker getting some turns above the moraine camp.
    He did the NW ridge the same day we did the West face. He reported the conditions were crap.

Continued...

Trip 3: Quitaraju and Artesonraju
    This was our last climbing trip, we had previously decided that for our last trip we would ditch the heavy packs and just go backpacking. After a while
    (in our case about 4 weeks) one gets tired of a 70 pound pack.
    Quitaraju’s north face was first on the list.

Quitaraju is not as well known as its neighbor, Alpamayo.

Alpamayo’s Ferrari route normally gets tons of traffic, but this year was out because of a serious cornice overhanging the route. The Ferrari route takes the line
    from the highest point of the bergschrund to the ridge. The French direct was in though, it takes the route from the lowest point of the bergschrund to the summit.
    (Wish we hadn’t left the ice screws back at the base camp)

Page is into yoga, and pretty much no matter where we were he would bust out his sleeping pad and start stretching.

We had heard a horror story from a friend about an 18-hour camp to camp push on Quitaraju, and when we arrived at the glacier camp at 5pm we could see a team
    descending (not a time one wants to be descending a steep snow slope). That, plus the fact that we would be sharing the route with at least two other teams,
    meant Page and I started off early… too early.

We climbed the face in 3:40 and reached the ridge at 4:20, by 4:40am we were at the summit. The sun rises at 6, and damnit… we wanted a summit photo.
    (which did not come out... still too dark) Also, to descend you rap the route, and finding pickets left as anchors by other teams is easier with a bit of daylight.

We were back at glacier camp by 9, and base camp by afternoon. A lot of cheese, peanut butter, and tuna later and we were in bed by 5.

Artesonraju is the mountain from the Paramount pictures logo.

The most popular route is the south face from the Paron valley which Page had done 2 years ago. This time we did the north (northeast?) face to the east ridge.
    The route goes from the bottom right corner of the glacier, across to the left, up along the rock-band that is eventually crossed, along up another steep
    snow/ice slope, a final rock band, then the ridge and the summit.

The route was “a full day” according to the guidebook, especially as it involved a 2-3 hour approach over rock slabs (you can’t camp under the north face because of rockfall).
    It was also clearly not in “guidebook” conditions though; from the moraine camp it was clear that what the guidebook called “mixed rock and ice gullies” translated
    into rock climbing.
    We spent a day sitting at the moraine camp scanning the face with binoculars, resting, and listening to the late afternoon rock-fall.

That night we got started ass-early (9pm) so we could get up the route and then back down before too late in the (following) day. We did not want to be under
    the cliffs of the north face (ascent or descent) when they started dropping rocks.
    The route got interesting when we left the first snowfield and crossed the rockband. Page was more comfortable climbing in crampons so he led both times
    when the route crossed a rock-band. Here I am following the first one at about 2am:

Here’s what it looked like in daylight from the bottom:

Once on the second snowfield I led off on great hard snow and ice:

Sun is rising:

I reached the second rock band, and final technical pitch, just as the sun rose:

Page on the final rock band:

Page nearing the summit:

Summit:

Everyone is allowed one cheesy summit pose, right?

On the descent the chosspile nature of this mountain’s rock was made very clear:

All went well though, and despite a obnoxious descent down the glacier over slushy neve pentientes (suncups from hell)

…we were back at the camp with plenty of time to share some beta with an arriving Irish team we had met on Quitaraju, eat almost all of our remaining food,
    and then pass out.
    Last edited by Will; 08-06-2005 at 01:59 PM.

Continued...

Trip 4: The Huayhuash circuit

The Huayhuash are a small compact mountain range south of the Blanca. It’s best known as being where Touching the Void took place,
    parts of the movie were filmed there too. We had thought about climbing there, but the longer approaches, higher difficulty, and lack of info on conditions
    led to a decision just to hike around the damn thing instead.

The Huayhuash circuit is a rather popular trekking loop that’s called “The second most beautiful trek in the world”, apparently there’s some loop in the Himalaya
    that connoisseurs have decided is better. The trail is normally followed clockwise and the full loop is supposed to take about 10 days. Without climbing
    equipment our packs were way lighter than before, and without burros we weren’t tied to a donkey’s schedule and could skip campsites if we wanted.

All in all, the trek took us seven and a half days.

It is important to wash your socks.

All of the kids on the Huayhuash trek and in the Blanca, that is all the local Peruvian kids, are trained by the trekkers to demand candy and gifts from you.
    The first thing any kid asks you when they see you is: “Caramello?!” Most trekkers see no problem with this and hand out candy like they’re a friggin’ sweet shop.
    Page and I kept our thoughts about this mostly to ourselves, but did stop another trekking group from giving a 5 year old girl her 2nd sweet of the day
    … and it was only 8am.

That girl is Maria. Here she is with Page:

And again with me:

Even though I didn’t give her a candy bar the size of her palm (other trekkers took care of that) I did play catch-the-potato with her. She seemed to like that.
    When I starting reading Gravity’s Rainbow to her (me = no Spanish or Quechua, her = 5 year old girl) she drew the line and wandered off looking for another
    sugar fix.

There is a lot of traffic on the Huayhuash circuit. In addition to themselves, trekkers bring burros, guides and porters. Also, several small towns in the region
    without access to a road rely on the trail. Finally there are the cows and the slow growing rates of high-altitude. In short, the trail is easy to follow:

This is Trapecio, an old Jeff Lowe solo route up the center of the face saw its first repeat (first ascent?) this summer.
    In 1985 Lowe stopped 750 feet from the summit after finishing the crux pitches.

Joe Simpson crawled down this valley….. shit.

Pretty though:

We almost had our own “Touching the Void” moment when descending from San Antonio pass to the valley where Touching the Void took place. We were told
    the route went, and it did… with some crumbly fifth class climbing down a rotten gully.

We descended from the col down and to viewers left of the major gully. Access to the big gully was blocked from above by cliffs, so we worked our way down
    a weakness in the cliff-bands. None of this was visible from above, we descended blind on separate lines hoping that we wouldn’t cliff out and have to
    reclimb the slope and try again.
    Looking up at one of the harder bits:

That’s all folks!!!

For all of our photos check out:
    Page - http://photobucket.com/albums/b333/pagekyle/

Me (not in chron order) - http://photobucket.com/albums/v336/HB4046/Peru/
    Last edited by Will; 11-09-2005 at 08:10 PM.

In a word: awesome.

In two words: fucking awesome.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Thumbs up

Sick trip.

Looks like an amazing trip!

Wow. Some amazing photos in there. I better you're ready for a rest after that!

Awesome TR Will! Just out of curiosity, what were the overnight temps at higher elevations?

Quote Originally Posted by shamrockpow
    Awesome TR Will! Just out of curiosity, what were the overnight temps at higher elevations?
    No real idea. I slept in a 20F sleeping bag, but in a bivy sack with all my clothes on (including belay parka). My partner was in a 0F bag and seemed a lot warmer. Also, when climbing my waterbottles would often freeze, even if they had some sort of energy drink mixed into them. I would guess it was somewhere between 10-25F, I've certainly been in colder temps in NE in the winter.

Great TR. Made me want to get back to Peru in a big way. I really want to ski Artesonraju, even more so now that I know it is the Paramount pictures peak. There is a great segment in the movie "Altitude" of that mountain getting skied. The temps were warm when we were there- I never had on more than fleece pants even at 20k. Looks like it stayed warm- there was a lot more snow on ranrapalca and Tocllaraju and the glaciers in the area just a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Will
    I've certainly been in colder temps in NE in the winter.
    Good to know it wasn't -30and howling winds. Those pictures are amazing, incredible mountains.
    I'm surprised you didn't choose to stay in the City where the weather has been just delightful.
    [quote][//quote]

Thumbs up

pretty fuckin sweet man. i hate you

That was the coolest and most inspiring TR I have seen yet. Those mountains are absolutely amazing.

Awesome terrain. Looks like a super sweet trip. Way to go. The snow looks a little firm for skiing but Alpmayo looks like fun

Best TR in a LONG TIME!!!! Nice work, beautiful pics, nice climbing.

A friend of mine skied Artesenraju a while back. And unfortunately, one of my best friends died on Chopicalqui after spending a month in Peru with his wife, on their honeymoon. Apparently he got caught in a storm up high, developed HAPE, and died in the morning. Then my friends had to haul his body down the mtn. Horrible.

FKNA! What an awesome trip!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Very fucking cool.

my 2 cents

truly "stop living like veal"

I like that stick and loved the TR.
    How was the meditation time? Were you able to figure something out that you would like to share with the mags, I mean more than what was already expressed?

Quote Originally Posted by SPREAD EAGLE
    Were you able to figure something out that you would like to share with the mags
    I bet he has a thought or two about taking only two pair of underwear...

Those photographs are amazing, Will. Utterly stunning mountains.

Loved the trip report!!

Read this about the Paramount mountain: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/020104.html

This made me think of a Bob lyric

Cold ground was my bed last night...
    Rock was my pillow too.

Your core is far from soft!

Thumbs up

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Geez!

Incredible! What did you do to physically prepare yourself, coming from the concrete jungle, six weeks of such activity would wear most down to a stub.

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines
    Incredible! What did you do to physically prepare yourself, coming from the concrete jungle, six weeks of such activity would wear most down to a stub.
    It was pretty simple, basically I just developed a simple long-term workout plan and did my best to follow it. And let's be clear here, I didn't wear myself down to a stub, but I did whittle myself down to a chopstick. I'm already a skinny guy, but I definately lost weight in Peru. 3-days of binge eating in Huaraz does not undo 8 days of net calorie loss.
    Last fall when Page invited me on trip to Kyrgstan I got motivated enough to actually start following a workout schedule as best I could. I read Mark Twight's book ("Extreme Alpinism"), which lays out a 6 month training plan to prepare for a big trip. Twight's plan is way more serious than anything I did, but while I ignored most of the specific recommendations I did get a general idea of how to structure my workouts over the long term.
    So I aimed for 3 gym visits a week (but probably only averaged 2) and climbed on the weekends if possible. Also, if I was doing cardio I used a heart-rate monitor - that was probably pretty key.

Page claims he didn't do any training. But when day-to-day life involves lots of biking and rock climbing trips, it's probably not as necessary.