Page 527 of 534 FirstFirst ... 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 ... LastLast
Results 13,151 to 13,175 of 13337

Thread: Ask the experts

Still loving my Giro Chamber 2s. Very durable, walk well with good heel hold. Not the grippiest but fine on anything but slick mud. Also not the lightest but... Caveat is Giro fit, great for narrow feet, wide, not so much.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Pearl Izumi xalp summits are worth checking out. I have a set and they seem solid if a bit flexy but I find anything without a carbon sole a bit flexy. Wider fit in the toe box and boa with a decent sole. I end up riding flats 90% of the time so don’t have a lot to say on durability.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    What's everyone rocking for clipless trail shoes? I'm looking for a relatively light shoe that is stiff enough, but can also suffice for various hike-a-bike duties when needed. My previous gold standard was the Mavic XA, but they've been disco'ed for a while and mine are finally calling it quits after 4 years of hard riding (and pushing). I have the Bontrager Rally shoes which are actually really nice, but the tread on the bottom does not lend itself to any sort of grip on loose terrain when I'm hiking uphill.

I'm going to check out some Specialized 2FO Roost shoes this weekend, but I was wondering if there's anything else out there I'm missing.

Crankbrothers mallet: Not great heel hold for me. Medium width. Usually need to be snugged up mid-ride. Sole is ok for walking, but not great.

Ion Rascal Amp: Slightly narrower fit. I like these a lot, except I've snapped the soles on 2 pairs of them (each with about a season of riding on them). To be fair, it's rare that I get more than 2 seasons out of a shoe before I snap the sole, but the Ions died especially fast.

LeattDBX 5.0: Stiffer, and somewhat less comfortable than most other options, at least for me. I found the speed lace setup to be not particularly well executed.

Ride Concepts Transition: Burlier, more DH-ish shoe. Medium width. A bit stiffer - similar to the Leatts. Pretty comfy, but they're hot. I use them for lifts / shuttling, but I don't usually pedal much in them.

I haven't tried them yet, but the Ride Concepts Tallac and the Endura MT500 might be worth looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Still loving my Giro Chamber 2s. Very durable, walk well with good heel hold. Not the grippiest but fine on anything but slick mud. Also not the lightest but... Caveat is Giro fit, great for narrow feet, wide, not so much.
    Unfortunately, the Chamber 2's are heavy as shit, and the cleat box (?) doesn't allow me to move them back/down as far as I want. But they were super comfortable. If anyone wants a pair of 10.5's, I'm giving them away in the "Beer and Shipping" thread.

Also to note: specifically not looking for a boa system. I've seen way too many of those break on our trips, and I much prefer old school laces and velcro if possible.

Anything out there to combine an AXS pod and TRP Evo brake levers? If I get the brakes right where I want them then the AXS pod is either 1cm out of reach or too tight to my thumb. Currently going with the pod being just out of reach because too close means I feel like I have to move my thumb out from behind the shifter to use it.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I haven't tried them yet, but the Ride Concepts Tallac and the Endura MT500 might be worth looking at.
    The flat version of the Tallac hiked great, and breathed super well. They do run a tad short though, maybe 1/4 size short. They make lace versions in addition to the BOA versions.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Anything out there to combine an AXS pod and TRP Evo brake levers? If I get the brakes right where I want them then the AXS pod is either 1cm out of reach or too tight to my thumb. Currently going with the pod being just out of reach because too close means I feel like I have to move my thumb out from behind the shifter to use it.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    This it?:

https://trpcycling.com/products/inte...47741754016031

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The flat version of the Tallac hiked great, and breathed super well. They do run a tad short though, maybe 1/4 size short. They make lace versions in addition to the BOA versions.
    After riding clips exclusively for 7 or 8 years I switched back to mostly riding flats halfway through last summer. Before switching back I ran the Tallac Clip (lace) for about a year and liked them. Durability seemed to be pretty good too. The foam midsole is delaminating a bit from the upper, but just around the edge and it hasn't gotten worse. I'd echo that the sizing is a bit small. I wear a 10 in 5.10s but sized up to the 10.5. ETA: lots of HAB around here, I'd say they perform better than average for walking in a stiff clips shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    That's a fair point. After giving it some more thought I've written the NX build off for now as the wheelset isn't great and I'd rather step up from the performance fork/shock. A local shop might have a line on a GX build for me, if not I may just wait it out for a deal in the used market. I don't really "need" to buy a second bike right now.
    Well this aged poorly. The local shop might be able to get me a little sweeter deal on the NX, and you guys were right, parts are f'n cheap these days.

So... new Spur inbound?

Doo eeeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    So... new Spur inbound?

Doo eeeet.
    Sounds like it, should know for sure tomorrow. Mrs. Snowaddict is pretty great to put up with me.

What's everyone rocking for clipless trail shoes? I'm looking for a relatively light shoe that is stiff enough, but can also suffice for various hike-a-bike duties when needed. My previous gold standard was the Mavic XA, but they've been disco'ed for a while and mine are finally calling it quits after 4 years of hard riding (and pushing). I have the Bontrager Rally shoes which are actually really nice, but the tread on the bottom does not lend itself to any sort of grip on loose terrain when I'm hiking uphill.

I'm going to check out some Specialized 2FO Roost shoes this weekend, but I was wondering if there's anything else out there I'm missing.
    the bigger question is what fits your foot ? figure it out and just buy that shoe,

for me that is the Specialized product
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sounds like it, should know for sure tomorrow. Mrs. Snowaddict is pretty great to put up with me.
    Sick. No regertz

Unfortunately, the Chamber 2's are heavy as shit, and the cleat box (?) doesn't allow me to move them back/down as far as I want. But they were super comfortable. If anyone wants a pair of 10.5's, I'm giving them away in the "Beer and Shipping" thread.

Also to note: specifically not looking for a boa system. I've seen way too many of those break on our trips, and I much prefer old school laces and velcro if possible.
    Shimano AM7 is all of the requests you have. If you can find them.

Ride Concepts Transition: Burlier, more DH-ish shoe. Medium width. A bit stiffer - similar to the Leatts. Pretty comfy, but they're hot. I use them for lifts / shuttling, but I don't usually pedal much in them.
    I bought a pair of these a few years ago (pretty sure summer 2020). Super comfy. They're my only shoe. Wear them all summer, several days a week, mostly pedal, don't notice weight or heat. Like them so much after wearing them a couple seasons, bought another pair on sale over the winter. That pair has been sitting in my closet for two years now, because the first pair shows almost no signs of wear. Like only some minor scuffs, tread is still almost new. Even the original laces look brand new. Occasional hike a bike, rubbing on volcanic rock while squeezing through some tight spots, nothing fazes those things. Between the comfort and durability, I'm definitely a RC fan.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    Shimano AM7 is all of the requests you have. If you can find them.
    Came to recommend the Shimano GR7 for a great flat pedal shoe - love the ankle gaiter. My only complaint is that they could have been a tiny bit stiffer, but they offered great grip and fit a wide foot exceptionally well.

only got them in the fall but liking my Fox Union Boa's, haven't tested hike ability much though yet!

I did just remember one odd thing about my RC Tallacs. The soles must be thicker than many shoes. I couldn't run them with my Time Speciale 8s, there was no sole clearance and they were almost impossible to clip out. No issue with other time pedals.

I did just remember one odd thing about my RC Tallacs. The soles must be thicker than many shoes. I couldn't run them with my Time Speciale 8s, there was no sole clearance and they were almost impossible to clip out. No issue with other time pedals.
    You can run a shim under the cleat in situations like that. I've also occasionally used a razor blade to carve back the rubber when it was interfering the the clip out twisting motion.

You can run a shim under the cleat in situations like that. I've also occasionally used a razor blade to carve back the rubber when it was interfering the the clip out twisting motion.
    I actually did both, though the shim was pretty thin and didn't solve it. I had an extra pair of pedals on the shelf so I was lazy and just did that when my initial tinkering didn't help.

Planning to run clips on the new Spur when it comes in so maybe I'll revisit this.

I basically always use a dremel with an abrasive cylinder to grind out a bunch of rubber from near the cleat. (I would post a pic, buuuut…)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I basically always use a dremel with an abrasive cylinder to grind out a bunch of rubber from near the cleat. (I would post a pic, buuuut…)
    Just draw a visual representation with ascii characters.

Spoke tension when building a new wheel.
    What are your thoughts on tension dropping when you add a tire and air it up?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Pump for first year NICA kid? (7th/Devo) figure one with a short hose for valve protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    Pump for first year NICA kid? (7th/Devo) figure one with a short hose for valve protection?
    I've had a Lezyne HV beating itself silly in my fanny pack for at least 5 years. Still works as new. Every once in a while I shake the gravel out of it.

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...e=Hand%20Pumps