Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Nice - Matching binders FTW!

183 Hotshot at suggested mount are skiing supremely well for me in all conditions in Tahoe this year. At 6’2” 195lbs I have to be a bit more precise to keep them afloat in pow but that’s compared to my surfy Praxis 196 Protests and 188 Quixote. When it gets chopped up and in other conditions these are a gem. The Blister review is spot on. No regrets. Tied with the Quixote for my everyday favorite ski.

My Qs have Keith’s #3 flex. #4 flex would be interesting to compare to the J Hotshot.

Customer support from. J skis is terrific, too.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Anyone been on both the 186 Metal and 189 Hotshot? I dearly love the former in every condition except ice, for some reason I keep telling myself to upgrade but I'm wondering if it's worth it. A slightly more rear mount and slightly longer just sound so nice but I wonder if it'll loose too much quickness in the trees, which I ski a ton of.

Agreed with Jim, Blister nails the review. Great ski for maritime cascade 3d snow, shines once everything's been cut up after 10am.
    lrn2swim, no experience on the Metal, but I haven't found the hotshot to be a chore in the trees quite like the weight and reviews would suggest it being "less maneuverable"

@Fishskisurf - What size are you on and what is your height/weight?

@Jim S - Do you wish you had gone longer?

I’m trying to decide between 183 & 189 Hotshot at 5’11” and 185. I’m coming off of recent longer skis - 194 Black Ops Sender Squad last season and 190 Moment Wildcat 108 this year. The 189 will obviously feel most like those but I’m also trending shorter and looking for an easier ski that still holds up at speed on chopped up runouts and groomers back to the lift.

I spend most of my time in trees and steeps at a moderate pace then bombing down the lift line groomers at max speed for another lap. The Squads were amazing at the latter but a bit long and dumb for the former. Moments are kind of the opposite and I’m not getting along with the mount point and long stiff tails. I think Hotshots at 189 are the answer but I’m a little hesitant after not getting along super well with these last two long skis.

6'2" 205, I ski mostly low 190's lengths with some high 180's. Not sure that helps as 189 Hotshot is only length I could ski.

Quote Originally Posted by CouloirInTheLines View Post

I’m trying to decide between 183 & 189 Hotshot at 5’11” and 185. I’m coming off of recent longer skis - 194 Black Ops Sender Squad last season and 190 Moment Wildcat 108 this year. The 189 will obviously feel most like those but I’m also trending shorter and looking for an easier ski that still holds up at speed on chopped up runouts and groomers back to the lift.

I spend most of my time in trees and steeps at a moderate pace then bombing down the lift line groomers at max speed for another lap. The Squads were amazing at the latter but a bit long and dumb for the former. Moments are kind of the opposite and I’m not getting along with the mount point and long stiff tails. I think Hotshots at 189 are the answer but I’m a little hesitant after not getting along super well with these last two long skis.
    I’m 5’11 165, and on the 183. It’s perfect for trees and tight spaces. At times when I’m flying straight I wish they were longer, but that’s only a couple times a day. I think it’s more to do with turning radius than stability. I haven’t ever felt they were maxed out so to speak. I’m going to continue to detune the tips and tails to see if that helps.

I remember Levinthal saying that the 183 Hotshot had the same effective edge as the 186 Metal. The 189 Hotshot is supposed to ski a good deal longer than the Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Anyone been on both the 186 Metal and 189 Hotshot? I dearly love the former in every condition except ice, for some reason I keep telling myself to upgrade but I'm wondering if it's worth it. A slightly more rear mount and slightly longer just sound so nice but I wonder if it'll loose too much quickness in the trees, which I ski a ton of.
    Last edited by twoAdog; 02-28-2023 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SacTo View Post
    At times when I’m flying straight I wish they were longer
    That’s all I needed to hear. 189 it is for me. Now just waiting for fresh graphics next season.

That’s all I needed to hear. 189 it is for me. Now just waiting for fresh graphics next season.
    I will say there are more times in a day where I’m glad that I am on the 183 than not. Again, I think it’s a side cut/turning radius issue and not a maxed out, too speed issue.

Taste the rainbow.

Excited to try these 182 Joyrides as my firm snow and half pipe ski once the UT powder spigot turns off this winter…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79897EA1-D98E-4EFF-9085-77A7CA90F29B.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	403.9 KB 
ID:	449880

Very nice! Have 2 days on the 183 Hotshots now. First day, without detuning, they felt like a LOT more ski than the 185 Enforcer 110s they are replacing. Really locked in to a turn which was fun on the groomers but hard work off-piste, conditions mainly soft chop.

After detuning tips and tails they were much easier going, and had a blast on them in a mix of tracked out conditions. They are very damp but not overly demanding (I'm 5'11" 175, OK skier but not a charger).

Quote Originally Posted by samp View Post
    Very nice! Have 2 days on the 183 Hotshots now. First day, without detuning, they felt like a LOT more ski than the 185 Enforcer 110s they are replacing. Really locked in to a turn which was fun on the groomers but hard work off-piste, conditions mainly soft chop.

After detuning tips and tails they were much easier going, and had a blast on them in a mix of tracked out conditions. They are very damp but not overly demanding (I'm 5'11" 175, OK skier but not a charger).
    FWIW I had same experience. Regularly ski an E110, first couple days on the Hotshot I didn't mesh with it, felt similarly about them being a chore in chop. Never detuned, but after a few days it clicked and now I love them for how well they handle the tracked out/3d/chop.

Don’t own the Hotshot, but the Metal 186cm is my Little Cottonwood ski of choice at present. Replacing my 2008 Rossi Sickles, RIP.

Love the Metals… so damp, heavy, yet so easy to ski. Forgives all my mistakes. Maybe not quite as easy to pivot at slow speeds like the Sickle, but close.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    …Replacing my 2008 Rossi Sickles, RIP.
    Did you get some Heritage Lab FR110s on order then?

Should I? My quiver is 15+ deep at this point…

Name:	1B20E845-F28A-474F-9306-D2242FE1188B.jpeg 
Views:	136 
Size:	291.3 KB 
ID:	450100

But I love Marshal’s vision and model. May buy something eventually.

Sickle was one of the inspirations for the FR110. Its full reverse, fairly heavy, progressive-ish (-6) mount. Mid 20’s radius.

Thanks for the ski storage idea.

I’ve been hemming and hawing over whether I want to jump on the FR110 or the Rossi Sender 110. Either are total quiver overlap.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishskisurf View Post
    FWIW I had same experience. Regularly ski an E110, first couple days on the Hotshot I didn't mesh with it, felt similarly about them being a chore in chop. Never detuned, but after a few days it clicked and now I love them for how well they handle the tracked out/3d/chop.
    I'll second, or third, that. My first day had me thinking these would be dedicated chargers. Great stability and edge hold but tough to throw around. On day two they started to feel a bit looser. On day three I was like, "Yessssss!" Never detuned, just kept skiing them.

I've gotten them out in over a foot of fresh now and they float just fine. I'd say just as good as the MFree 108. MFree is surfier in fresh but the Hotshot is better for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by twoAdog View Post
    MFree is surfier in fresh but the Hotshot is better for everything else.
    Dang, now that's a sales pitch. MFrees are only $375 shipped from Corbetts right now. I may buy a new pair while keeping my eyes out for Hotshots. Bummed I missed the blems.

Been meaning to A/B the Sickles and Metals on the same day for awhile now… finally got a few runs on each at Alta today. Not charging, skiing with my kids.
    But enough to have some initial impressions.

1) The Metals are much softer at the tip and tail. It’s basically impossible for me to nose press the Sickles.
    2) The Sickles pivot at slow speeds a bit more easily, but the Metals are otherwise more forgiving and easier to ski
    3) Damping and suspension are good/great for both. But the Metal probably wins there
    4) There is noticeable visual tip flap on the Metals. Way more tip rocker and softer there.
    5) The stiffer Sickles may have a higher speed limit for all out charging

As a 44 yo dad, the Metals are the call for me. Just easier to ski. But the Sickles are still a special ski. Anyone interested in a pair of 186 Sickles with STH14s, PM me.

Name:	D143DD9D-297C-4242-91FC-35660C2F0EEC.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	371.7 KB 
ID:	450440

Not at all. The 183 do not feel short at all. I’m pleasantly surprised. The 189 certainly would be more stable but the last thing I need to do is go any faster in chop.

Hot Shot 183 is shortest ski in my quiver just below the 185 Praxis 9D8; longest are Praxis 196 Protest, 193 BPS and 194 Freerides.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Welp - if you're in the Seattle area and have a BSL around 305 I'd let you take some laps on both the Friends and BOs, assuming I've still got them by next season.
    AEV - Did you ever get on the Friend and/or BO?

rfconroy - Can you give more beta on comparison between the two?

I’m considering the 189 Friend as a pow/chop charger for technical steeps, medium drops, and bases flat groomer sprints to the lift. I’m 5’11” 185 and like good suspension and easy maneuverability. Skis stay pointed forward with shins on boots but I like to find side hits, gap moguls, and boost cat tracks.

Black Ops seems like the category leader for this stuff but I’m curious how the Friend compares. I like the mount point, length, graphics, and general indy brand vibes of the J better. Also still considering the Hotshot per posts above but tempted to go wider and use other skis for lower tide days.

Picked up pair of 189 Friend blems:

Today at Mt Roses -10 “ fresh and then turning into sierra cement

The Friend has the biggest sweet spot ever. It’s like 186 of the 189 cm of the ski is the sweet spot. Incredible! So smooth and easy to rip.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyonaBuffalo View Post
    Picked up pair of 189 Friend blems:

Today at Mt Roses -10 “ fresh and then turning into sierra cement

The Friend has the biggest sweet spot ever. It’s like 186 of the 189 cm of the ski is the sweet spot. Incredible! So smooth and easy to rip.
    Sounds awesome!