Page 127 of 165 FirstFirst ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 4118
    Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    Where does this happen? It’s somewhat unusual to see even one other skier in the high Sierra on most days in the spring.

Even a place like the saddlebag lake drainage, with the road to the lake open, on a Saturday, ive never seen more than 15 or so skiers.

Just keeping us honest

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Check out the first pic in gimpy's post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...36#post5991636
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

TAHOEJ - everything higher, including the trail you mentioned, is off-book, on private land, and should not be publicized. I know there's Strava and dumbasses with youtube but still please respect the norm and delete reference to it.

OG...take a look on Trailforks https://www.trailforks.com/map/ Go the map, and cruise around the Sierra Nevada -- there is basically no MTB trail south of Carson Pass that it is in the mountains. Some fire roads (Rock Creek and Bishop Creek) and that's about it.

Compare to Colorado, Idaho, Montana, shoot even Utah - their "mountain" biking trails actually are in .... the mountains. I would LOVE to be able to have high-elevation trails somewhere in the state....anywhere.

In addition to mountain access, to me, expanding access to trails close to where people live is even more important than trails in the mountains. And yes, I work with two groups working on MTB access in the Bay, and I've done work here as well but not as long-term or consistently yet. Working on MTB access in the Bay is uphill both ways, in the slickest wet clay imaginable -- very difficult to make progress. If we think we have it tough here in Tahoe for trail crowding and problems, we don't -- it's truly fuct in the Bay. But providing opportunities close to home is better for everyone to get out more, and will also reduce crowding here in Tahoe.
    Drove the East Shore to visit some folks on Saturday. I think there were 30% more cars than I've ever seen on the East Shore - it was insane.
    sproing!

The whole shit show is making me pretty grumpy.

Yesterday Had a white bmw race up behind me at probably twice the legal speed limit then proceed to tailgate me closely, drove an extra mile past my street at 5 miles below the limit, I could see the vein in his forehead about to explode.

When ever I get in the round about at 50 and 89 now, when ever there’s an endless stream of cars coming into town I do A few extra laps to back up traffic even more, somehow it makes me feel a little happier.

Popped out on a remote trailhead yesterday, group of 6 hikers asking how far it was to the highway, they had taken a wrong turn on there point to point hike. They offered me $200 to come back with my car which was several miles away and drive one of them up to get there car, ya right none of you are getting in my fucking car. Maybe next time invest $20 in a map and learn how to read it, or load a totally free app on your phone. Gave them directions to hike to the highway, or try there luck with the pair of hikers coming down who’s car was parked there

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Popped out on a remote trailhead yesterday, group of 6 hikers asking how far it was to the highway, they had taken a wrong turn on there point to point hike. They offered me $200 to come back with my car which was several miles away and drive one of them up to get there car, ya right none of you are getting in my fucking car.
    Should've taken the $200, made him ride in the trunk of your car, and drop him at some other random trailhead parking lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

When ever I get in the round about at 50 and 89 now, when ever there’s an endless stream of cars coming into town I do A few extra laps to back up traffic even more, somehow it makes me feel a little happier.
    Please send me a text next time so I can watch on the web cam.

I’ll be sure to stop in front of the East bound lane in order safely send a text

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    TAHOEJ - everything higher, including the trail you mentioned, is off-book, on private land, and should not be publicized. I know there's Strava and dumbasses with youtube but still please respect the norm and delete reference to it.
    It was named, described in detail and featured in photos in two separate bike magazines. Do they even bother to not name it on MTBR anymore after that? (I don’t post there much so wouldn’t know). It’s not 2014, the cat is so far out of the bag which is why it’s so crowded that I don’t bother with it much, and it’ll be even worse after those Coldstream condos open. Every spring on the Truckee Tahoe Facebook group people openly discuss whether it still has snow on it, citing specific Strava segments as reference. But we’re going to lose access because of an offhand reference on a small ski forum? Come on man.

Now the other trails I vaguely referred to I definitely should not have even touched upon and edited my post accordingly. So far most of those aren’t even on Strava. I wish you could see who created a segment so you could ask them to delete it, as I’m sure it’s only a matter of time.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

fuck strava

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It was named, described in detail and featured in photos in two separate bike magazines. Do they even bother to not name it on MTBR anymore after that? (I don’t post there much so wouldn’t know). It’s not 2014, the cat is so far out of the bag which is why it’s so crowded that I don’t bother with it much, and it’ll be even worse after those Coldstream condos open. Every spring on the Truckee Tahoe Facebook group people openly discuss whether it still has snow on it, citing specific Strava segments as reference. But we’re going to lose access because of an offhand reference on a small ski forum? Come on man.

Now the other trails I vaguely referred to I definitely should not have even touched upon and edited my post accordingly. So far most of those aren’t even on Strava. I wish you could see who created a segment so you could ask them to delete it, as I’m sure it’s only a matter of time.
    Are you for reeeeal? Wow.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    fuck strava

What he said!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Are you for reeeeal? Wow.
    Are you? Come on man, I know you’ve been a Truckee local all of 3-4 years but we met up when you first moved and I showed you trails you didn’t know about yet that were brand new (like sober deer). I’ve talked to people who built the trails in question and even they admit that shit is just blown out. I rode the Hanna barbera stuff when it was fresh a long time ago. I helped with some of the trail work! It’s long gone. Spare me the knowledgeable insider treatment.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 07-28-2020 at 09:49 AM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Keeping up with the trails thread, I celebrated end of self-isolation and a negative COVID test from my partner by taking a run on the Dry Pond loop down here. At the Thomas Creek parking lot, there was a guy idling his four wheeler at the trailhead sign. Dude was wearing green sweatpants, a t-shirt, and running shoes. Expecting the worst, I asked him what he was looking for and sure enough he goes "Do you know if you can ride four wheelers on this trail?" (obviously, trails in Galena Creek Rec Area are only open to mountain bikes, hikers, and horses). In the nicest way possible, I told him to stick to the god damn designated Forest Service roads, jesus christ please for all that is good. He was so desperately oblivious that I couldn't even be mad at him in the moment. Oh and he added that his wife had looked for places for him to ride on All Trails. Holy hell.

It's getting hot AF running down here now, but all the hikers in Reno have fled to Rose Summit/Tahoe Meadows so I'll take the heat for quieter trails. There's also just something special about running in the heat, totally exposed to the sun and elements. Maybe it's just heat exhaustion.

Also, if the climate crisis has slipped your mind, it was as hot in NYC today as it typically is in the South, right around 100. And if you talk about heat index, it was comparable to Vegas in NYC these past couple days. On top of it hitting 100 in Siberia last week. Jet Stream is doing some wonky things now with all this extra heat.

Heavenly Valley will not have NSP volunteer ski patrol next season.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    My wife is on Next Door for Truckee. It appears that someone at the Town is following it and we have seen some changes lately that I suspect originated at least in part based on complaints posted on Next Door. Much as I dislike the general tone of Next Door--I'm on it in Sacramento although I have it going to my spam folder--I think it might be good to use it to register complaints like this one from SLT.

Just to add to the secret bike trail/no long descents thread...

PSA: The Martis downhill trails have a temporary closure notice on them for logging operations. In very respectfully worded notice SPI, I assume but it wasn't named, is asking bikers to avoid those trails for the time being "as to not jeopardize future access".

Edited. TRT in the Martis Peak area is still open, as well as the Martis Peak Road.

And in other news: https://www.truckeedonnerlandtrust.o...ully-conserved

Cool to hear they're also moving forward with the plan to build huts for winter use.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 07-30-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Cool to hear they're also moving forward with the plan to build huts for winter use.
    They've even got a hotel at Webber Lake

^^ More specifically: A 100-foot wide fire break is under construction on the following trails: .........
    Speaking of bay area entitlement. Are there any other trails you've never built that youd like to contribute to the overpopulation and potential demise of?

Jesus crist dude. Just shut your word hole. Just because other people are idiots doesn't mean you have to join the club. Funny how those who do the least amount of work, and hence have the least amount to lose, always want to tell everyone else how to address the hard work they were never a part of.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

The whole shit show is making me pretty grumpy.

I'll take on this responsibility at the north end of the lake. Figure 8's for days in the double double roundabouts at 89/80!

Well...not true figure eights because that would not end well....
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    They've even got a hotel at Webber Lake
    19th century hotel on an emigrant road, being restored as a museum.

^^ More specifically: A 100-foot wide fire break is under construction on the following trails: Xxxxxxx, Xxxx Xxxxxx, Xxxx Xxxxxx, Xxxx x'xxxx. TRT in the Martis Peak area is still open, as well as the Martis Peak Road.
    FIFY
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    19th century hotel on an emigrant road, being restored as a museum.
    I was being a little facetious given that it's leaning at something like 15 degrees. I didn't know they were going to allow access.
    And to another point made above ... anyone ANYONE who uses trails should go out and build/maintain trail first. Why ? Because they don't know how much thought and effort go into (most) (legal) trails. For example they wouldn't cut trail (unless it's snow covered).

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    I'll take on this responsibility at the north end of the lake. Figure 8's for days in the double double roundabouts at 89/80!

Well...not true figure eights because that would not end well....
    Isn't the second lane for going the other way?