Page 58 of 63 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 1556
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Thats a good way to look at it, but polar opposite to how ive always approached things in they gym/ with fitness. The times they are a changin i guess.
    Pushups? Bodyweight/air squats? Planks? Surely you can find something you can do without a substantial warmup that won't hurt you. Or, you can sit around whining that you don't have time to work out while you get weak and fat.

Something>>nothing. That's your new mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Put more clothes on if you want to warmup faster. Really.
    Since someone mentioned “cold ass garage”, this is a great point.

I’m 51 and my body runs much better warm. When I go swimming in the winter right as I wake up I start with a hot shower to loosen the shoulder. Makes a big difference in old injuries making themselves known or not.

Windsurfing, my main activity, in the winter I can spent a whole session trying to get warmed up enough to throw down. Summer it’s only 10’. In a tropical island with hot temperature, I can literally throw down within a few seconds of hitting the water.

I have pretty limited time to exercise. I'm 57. Never stretch. Never warm up. Work out in cold ass garage. No injuries.

Not arguing a person shouldn't stretch or warm up, just saying I haven't seen a downside from not taking that time. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I have pretty limited time to exercise. I'm 57. Never stretch. Never warm up. Work out in cold ass garage. No injuries.

Not arguing a person shouldn't stretch or warm up, just saying I haven't seen a downside from not taking that time. YMMV.
    Im only 45 but i feel the same way. I just try to stay active doing things i like to do. Ski, bike, climb, dirtbike. The rest is all bullshit. We will see how that all works out for him Cotton.

Cold garage last Sunday, 6:30 am, into a squat workout. Actually started low, worked up with a couple lighter sets, then cranked. Was putting up higher reps than I have in years and it was easy. So I added weight.

Back grabbed. Not terrible, but it’s still tight. Icing right now to keep it loose enough for skiing.

Yeah I don’t know. Maybe better warm up? Pretty good timing - about 48 hours after I posted I don’t ever really warm up. Would be funny if it was funny.

WCGW?
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Was putting up higher reps than I have in years and it was easy. So I added weight.
    More so than being cold, i think these two sentences explain the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cold garage last Sunday, 6:30 am, into a squat workout. Actually started low, worked up with a couple lighter sets, then cranked. Was putting up higher reps than I have in years and it was easy. So I added weight.

Back grabbed. Not terrible, but it’s still tight. Icing right now to keep it loose enough for skiing.

Yeah I don’t know. Maybe better warm up? Pretty good timing - about 48 hours after I posted I don’t ever really warm up. Would be funny if it was funny.
    Lol. It's funny in a not really funny, but still funny way.

So 2 hours after I posted I don't warm up (and I realize that "cold ass garage" is relative. It was 55 in my garage last night. I'm sure where some of you live that's balmy for winter) I was doing my shoulder routine. When I finished I was walking out of the garage and felt a tug on the inside of my right knee. Now I have a pain on the inside of my knee. Not directly related to the muscle group I was targeting, but my MCL must have tweaked while lifting something. Hoping just a strain. Maybe 15 minutes on the stationary and some stretches are wouldn't be a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I’m in my 30s but one thing I’ve learned is “don’t get greedy”.

It’s not about how much you lift today. It’s about how much you lift in 6mo.

Better to maintain slow progress then injure yourself and then start over.

I’ve learned that the hard way many times.

Was putting up higher reps than I have in years and it was easy. So I added weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    I’m in my 30s but one thing I’ve learned is “don’t get greedy”.

It’s not about how much you lift today. It’s about how much you lift in 6mo.

Better to maintain slow progress then injure yourself and then start over.

I’ve learned that the hard way many times.
    this caught my attention. as i get older, i've def got in the slow and steady mindset when it comes to lifting progression. week to week on exercises sometimes i just increase reps by 1-2 before adding more (5%) weight. i'm probably not maximizing things but likely limiting possible injury some.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    100%

If you're already doing more than you have in years, or months or even weeks, take the win and add weight in a subsequent workout.

Don’t have much to add but as someone in their mid 40’s don’t be afraid to take a week off and let your body heal.

I had a buddy in town for 3 days in a row and we rode ski-on lift serve for 6hrs a day in variable crusty conditions. I even had a double ejection triple tomahawk crash at Stevens but luckily no big injuries.

I have a tweak in my ankle and a little sharp pain in a knee cap so just decided to not exercise for a week.

I feel like a lazy piece of shit but I know I’ll come back stronger next week.

There's something to the nano workout thing. I gained more weight faster once I started working at home. It turns out I was probably walking three miles +/- a day on-site. It wasn't keeping me in shape but not doing it had a profound impact.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    There's something to the nano workout thing. I gained more weight faster once I started working at home. It turns out I was probably walking three miles +/- a day on-site. It wasn't keeping me in shape but not doing it had a profound impact.
    For sure. Now that I'm back at the office more I make an effort to get up and just walk around the office every hour or so. This is something I don't really do when working from home (well, I do, but it's like ten steps, not hundreds). Those steps add up.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    For sure. Now that I'm back at the office more I make an effort to get up and just walk around the office every hour or so. This is something I don't really do when working from home (well, I do, but it's like ten steps, not hundreds). Those steps add up.

All of this.

In my 50's, kids, (much) less spare time.

Pushups here and there, stairs at work, air squats, try and get short gym sessions in, walk everywhere.

Move often, eat well, be happy.

If I don’t gain 25-30 lbs in the off season then I don’t really feel like I’m getting a good workout on the bike/skis. Carrying all that extra weight has to be better for the quads I reckon.

Also re: office trying to do less keyboard shortcuts and gravitating toward the mouse more for smaller gainz

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    All of this.

In my 50's, kids, (much) less spare time.

Pushups here and there, stairs at work, air squats, try and get short gym sessions in, walk everywhere.

Move often, eat well, be happy.
    Word.
    In my 50s now, don't go big, I go often.
    4-6 + times a week, bike+row+bodyweight work/kettlebells.
    Movement is medicine.

I taught myself to mouse ambidextrously so I don't get assymmetrical

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I taught myself to mouse ambidextrously so I don't get assymmetrical
    Nice work! I’m trying to learn how to hold baby in my left arm. The problem is that means learning how to do everything else with right hand.

You know the parable about the young bull and the old bull grazing on the hillside? They're looking down at a herd of cows in the field below, and the young bull says "Pops, let's run down there snorting and waving our horns and fuck ourselves a cow apiece!" The old bull looks at him and says "naw son, let's walk down there real quiet like and fuck 'em all."

I wanted to be the young bull for a long time, but I think I've finally accepted that I'm the old bull and I'm not going to bike / hike / snowboard like I did at 30 or even 35. Now it's just a matter of turning down the intensity and taking things a little easier so I can keep doing all my activities for another 25 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    You know the parable about the young bull and the old bull grazing on the hillside? They're looking down at a herd of cows in the field below, and the young bull says "Pops, let's run down there snorting and waving our horns and fuck ourselves a cow apiece!" The old bull looks at him and says "naw son, let's walk down there real quiet like and fuck 'em all."

I wanted to be the young bull for a long time, but I think I've finally accepted that I'm the old bull and I'm not going to bike / hike / snowboard like I did at 30 or even 35. Now it's just a matter of turning down the intensity and taking things a little easier so I can keep doing all my activities for another 25 years or so.
    https://youtu.be/mxNXp86gFnw?si=fHNxL0qktCTDi0ti

Shit last night I typed out “Colors was a great movie” as a response and then I thought “no one is gonna fucking know what you’re talking about” so I deleted it 😆

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Shit last night I typed out “Colors was a great movie” as a response and then I thought “no one is gonna fucking know what you’re talking about” so I deleted it
    As a kid I recorded it on vhs off HBO and watched the bush scene over and over. Good boobage too.

Also really good movie.

Yeah not sure how my parents let me watch that movie repeatedly as a kid!

I used to tell that joke to my team at the start line of multi day adventure races to instill the idea that we don’t need to win the race on day 1 - “let’s walk down and fuck them all”

I bought a DVD copy of Colors a couple years ago at a yard sale.

Sorry for the thread drift! I do 5 minutes of rowing and then 5 minutes of lightweight lifting as a warm up for weightlifting (grab a 45lb bar and do ten squats, ten overhead presses, ten bent over rows, ten curls etc etc)

For running, biking, skiing I do 5 minutes of dynamic warm up of leg muscles and joints - something like this:

https://strengthrunning.com/wp-conte...structions.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Shit last night I typed out “Colors was a great movie” as a response and then I thought “no one is gonna fucking know what you’re talking about” so I deleted it 😆
    I didn't remember that's where it came from hahah. The last time I saw that movie was when it was in the theaters...