Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Home saunas

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post

i guess what I'm trying to say is that in both saunas and sex dungeons you want even heat and enough room to properly move around
    I know we've mostly moved away from them, but this is Sig Worthy.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    BTW wasatch maggots, the steam, sauna and quiet tea room at the Cliff are top drawerr and a real pleasure after 3-4 hrs. of skiing. I think the Cliff Spa sells 10 packs for about $200. It's well worth it IMHO.
    Good looking out on the 10 packs. We started hitting up the cliff spa a few years back as a way to wait out the red snake. Really enjoy it and can be cheaper and certainly healthier than spending that time at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    SAUNA story.
    BTW wasatch maggots, the steam, sauna and quiet tea room at the Cliff are top drawerr and a real pleasure after 3-4 hrs. of skiing. I think the Cliff Spa sells 10 packs for about $200. It's well worth it IMHO.
    Forgive me I am inept. How would one go about purchasing this. Browsing the Cliff webpage and reservation tool I am coming up short

Just spending time in the jacuzzi on top off the Cliff in a snowstorm is worth $200.

Quote Originally Posted by nonamenoneed View Post
    Forgive me I am inept. How would one go about purchasing this. Browsing the Cliff webpage and reservation tool I am coming up short
    Me as well. I’m assuming it’s an off season sale pack.
    When is it?
    If I sign up for email do they send it?
    Thinking next year that would be sweet. Too late now I’m sure.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Looks nice. How'd you decide on that brand? And what model is it? Rough idea on cost? Thanks,
    Infrared saunas are great but not all are created equal. The cheaper ones from China can be made with toxic materials that off gas while in use. Best to do some homework on the better brands.

I had one for a while. I bought it from a retired firefighter who was pretty sick from smoke inhalation etc. the sauna helped him so much he started selling them. But he was a total nazi about units with low tox materials.

sauna is coming along
    once i build benches we'll have a fully functioning sauna, just needs some trim.
    the change room is ~10% done...

cedar siding going up

setting up for the stove

laying out the floor for a drain

dropping in deck mud

skim coat is in

heat shields in

i'm an idiot so decided to drag the stove to the sauna solo... built a plywood/2x4 sled and off i went

down this rock outcrop

once i got this close (~45 min hard physical labor) i was really wishing i had called a few friends over who were on the hook to help with this - they reminded me that i was an idiot for doing this solo

used a come-a-long to get enough of the weight up to shove it on the deck.

installed the stove and built a door, pretty much ready to go, finding clear(ish) wood for the benches has been a challenge. i have a bunch of nice rough sawn yellow cedar but the effort/time to turn them into smooth seats is more than i'm interested in dealing with.

Wow, nice work.

Holy shit that sauna is epic beyond belief

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Anyone used one of the tent saunas? Few companies out there- for ~$1300 you get an ice fishing tent and a woodburning sauna stove. Allegedly hits 200 degrees in a half an hour.

Major build is not in the cards for me, but looking at these vs a infrared kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    Anyone used one of the tent saunas? Few companies out there- for ~$1300 you get an ice fishing tent and a woodburning sauna stove. Allegedly hits 200 degrees in a half an hour.

Major build is not in the cards for me, but looking at these vs a infrared kit.
    This is an INFINITELY better idea than those dumb IR saunas

I spent all together way too much time researching this and for the money, a wood stove and tent can't be beat

just make sure your benches are high enough, that's the critical thing

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    just make sure your benches are high enough, that's the critical thing

My wife has been dreaming of a sauna and I probably will be building one, something like a shed and a stove kinda deal.

So this brings me to my question... Why the high bench height?

Cuz the heat in a sauna is really stratified as there's a lot of convection happening. The top by the ceiling is much much hotter than down on the floor by the stove. So your benches are supposed to allow you to sit upright with only a few inches between your head and the ceiling in order to make the most of the available heat.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    My wife has been dreaming of a sauna and I probably will be building one, something like a shed and a stove kinda deal.

So this brings me to my question... Why the high bench height?
    basically what you want to avoid is thermal stratification - cold feet and a hot head with an even steam gradient across - and the way to do that is to by having as high a ceiling as you can manage with high benches as well.

https://localmile.org/trumpkins-note...lding-a-sauna/

this is the best resource for custom sauna design; tl;dr - it's not too hard, you just want as big of a volume with as high of ceilings and benches and as many sauna rocks as you can afford

Fuck yeah. That makes total sense, thank you both for the intel. I guess putting in a ceiling fan or something to mix up the air isn't really a thing?

...off to research on tgapp's link

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Fuck yeah. That makes total sense, thank you both for the intel. I guess putting in a ceiling fan or something to mix up the air isn't really a thing?

...off to research on tgapp's link
    the better way to do it is by designing your vents to work with how air is going to naturally move in the space. a wood fired sauna will have radically different airflow than an electric one due to the draw of the fire; placing your vents around that concept will be far more effective in helping create and manage thermal circuits

Barrel saunas are kinda popular cuz they make the convection work more efficiently since they have curved interior walls. But generally, you want a a significant difference between the ceiling and floor. Some folks like it hot, ya know? So it helps to have a hot bench of high, a warm bench lower, and a spot by the place the makeup air comes in that stays pretty cool. I put my phone and water in front of the place the makeup air comes in so they stay cool.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

There seems to be a difference between the small, single level sauna and the bigger multi bench sauna (3 vertical maybe 16” between benches) where the vertical stratification is the goal because that shit gets hot. The first are “home” and “gym” level it seems, the second are rare ime in the us, or more rare, but a very different experience esp. if wood fired. Probably lots of places have waterside building restrictions now, so dip in the lake not so workable.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Infrared saunas are great but not all are created equal. The cheaper ones from China can be made with toxic materials that off gas while in use. Best to do some homework on the better brands.

I had one for a while. I bought it from a retired firefighter who was pretty sick from smoke inhalation etc. the sauna helped him so much he started selling them. But he was a total nazi about units with low tox materials.
    That is probably only going to get worse. My IR unit was made in Canada with the same IR panels they use in their hospital nursery's for the past 40 years, I think they proven to be safe. Next step will probably be a gas unit built into a new bathroom. 135 IR heat is good but 190 propane would be a nice upgrade.

I bought one of those $250 steam sauna tent things a while back but the wife made me return it because it too up too much room in her gym. Dang.

An electric heater and control unit is around five hundo.

After that it’s just a cedar box.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    An electric heater and control unit is around five hundo.

After that it’s just a cedar box.
    I'm not sure where you're shopping but even the most basic sauna heaters from reputable brands (Tylo, Harvia, etc) run around $900, and that's without any sort of WiFi or digital control (just a switch and a timer). Those basic heaters are good enough, but often struggle with heat cycling, warm-up time, and limited steam capacity because they have less rocks, and thus, are less capable of generating löyly (steam). If you want a heater capable of creating better steam or one with a wifi controller, you're usually around $1500 to $3000.

A final note: for Northern Europe, sauna heaters are far less "premium" than they are in the United States (every house has one), and consequently, the markup is far less. Ordering from Yurp can save you a ton of money if you are patient & willing to risk perhaps a more difficult support scenario, it could be worth the risk.

https://www.saunainter.com/ is a great place to start; for reference; a Harvia Cilindro (considered by many to be the best upgrade from a basic unit) with wifi will run you $2500 in the United States, and it's like $1k shipped from Estonia.

American made is half that plus it sounds Nordic.
    https://scandiamfg.com/products/40k-...s-sauna-heater

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    American made is half that plus it sounds Nordic.
    https://scandiamfg.com/products/40k-...s-sauna-heater
    That heater is $3,600 that you linked