ACL surgery - cadaver vs. patella question (for a friend)

Ok - so I'm sure this is probably a rerun (sorry!), but a friend of mine is having ACL surgery in September and needs advice about what type to get...

here's her questions. Any advice is much appreciated!

I tore my ACL and medial meniscus playing soccer 2 months ago. I have
    surgery scheduled for early September. In the meantime, I've been doing
    lots of PT, stationary biking and Pilates.

I'm writing because I'm trying to figure out what kind of surgery to have.
    should I do a patella graft or a cadaver? Hamstring is out because, as a
    soccer player, it would ruin my ability to accelerate.

I'd appreciate any advice. My inclination is to go for the patella because
    the idea of some dead girl's tissue in my leg really creeps me out...

thoughts?

a humble friend of WSD
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

both grafts are good choices but each has their own +'s and -"s

The graft of choice among most surgeons is the patellar tendon graft or hamstring graft. Usually allograft (cadaver) is the choice for those who have already had an autograft (own tissue) and blown that one out..

But really you can't go wrong very easily no matter what you choose as long as the surgeon that does the job is good and the person sticks to their rehab after surgery.

Good luck to your friend and I hope this will help some. I know many more people will add their info to this.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by watersnowdirt

I'm writing because I'm trying to figure out what kind of surgery to have.
    should I do a patella graft or a cadaver? Hamstring is out because, as a
    soccer player, it would ruin my ability to accelerate.

[/B]
    Just FYI...I tore my ACL playing soccer too and getting back on the pitch and playing at my same level was a high priority and I still went with hamstring graft. Aside from being out of shape, I have noticed and less of an ability to accelerate ect. I started playing again 6 months post-op with a brace and now at 8 months post-op I'm playing w/o a brace and feel nearly 100%.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Also of note, is that a cadaver graft can be rejected and there is some risk of contamination from the original owner. Both were risks I was not willing to take.

I think the major reason not to get the Pat graft is if you are on your knees for a living (get your mind out of the gutter). Plumbers, construction workers, carpet layers, masons, etc are some professions that should not use the pat graft. At first, there's numbness on that knee, then it's agravated if you have to kneel a lot. Also, I have a friend who can't do the pat graft because it's too thin to use. So she's doing the allograft, I think it's this week.

Hope that helps!

B)

of course, i work construction and got a pateller graft. kneeling does kinda suck though at one year out.

i have had some low grade pateller tendonitis. although, it does feel pretty good usually.

Friend decided to do cadaver graft. She sends many thanks for all the good advice!!
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    of course, i work construction and got a pateller graft. kneeling does kinda suck though at one year out.

i have had some low grade pateller tendonitis. although, it does feel pretty good usually.
    Knee pads help any? Kneeling doesn't seem to bother my 5-yr-old graft, but the 1-yr-old still doesn't feel so good.

Quote Originally Posted by watersnowdirt
    Friend decided to do cadaver graft. She sends many thanks for all the good advice!!
    Tell her good luck and fast healing!

I had a cadaver graft on my right knee and I think it's worked out well. The faster healing time meant I didn't lose as much muscle as I did when I had my hamstring graft, so I think that was a plus. And my doc said that's the route he'd go - and most of his patients who avoid it do so just because they're weirded out by the dead tissue. Honestly I've never even thought about it after doing some research. The numbers on disease transmission from a cadaver graft were SO low it didn't seem like something I should worry about. I mean there are other complications from surgery in general that would be a lot more likely if I wanted to worry about something...
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Big E
    Knee pads help any? Kneeling doesn't seem to bother my 5-yr-old graft, but the 1-yr-old still doesn't feel so good.
    yup. i pretty much wear knee pads all the time while at work. they make it okay. still swelling will happen if i'm on my knees a lot doing baseboard or something down low all day.

I've had the cadaver in me for a few years now and the only problem i have is hiking downhill if im out of shape...the knee pain is insane, but then again i do like pain... an exercise ball and bomber hamstring health keep it all in line.

Quote Originally Posted by basom

Dude, no disrespect for your choice at all. From meeting you at the last summit, I don't think the choice of pat graft has affected your abilities in the least bit. Just stating what I found from the research recently. Definitely want to do some runs at Stowe again with the crew. I just have to bring the fats this time. Digging myself out of that waist to nipple deep pow was a hardship

B)
    Last edited by Mtn Man; 07-30-2005 at 06:11 PM.