Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Night Ski Headlamps?

I don’t have the time to read through this entire thread and see if anyone else has mentioned this, but Moonlight Mountain Gear makes the best headlamps for night skiing.

https://moonlightmountaingear.com/co...hting/headlamp

I live above the Arctic Circle, and this is what everyone uses during the dark time.

It clips into a GoPro mount — something you might already have on your helmet.

I’ve skied with the Bright As Day 2000 and Bright As Day 3000.

I prefer the 3000 over the 2000. But my wife, kids, and a couple of friends use the 2000 and never complain.

I would like to try the 4000 as it’s only 22 g heavier.

I am using a zebralight, 1100 lumen, great optics, and very light.
    Totally adequate for night skiing.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PeaHead96 View Post
    I don’t have the time to read through this entire thread and see if anyone else has mentioned this, but Moonlight Mountain Gear makes the best headlamps for night skiing.

https://moonlightmountaingear.com/co...hting/headlamp

I live above the Arctic Circle, and this is what everyone uses during the dark time.

It clips into a GoPro mount — something you might already have on your helmet.

I’ve skied with the Bright As Day 2000 and Bright As Day 3000.

I prefer the 3000 over the 2000. But my wife, kids, and a couple of friends use the 2000 and never complain.

I would like to try the 4000 as it’s only 22 g heavier.
    When you use it with a helmet, how do you store the battery?

https://moonlightmountaingear.com/co...-2000-headlamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2024-02-26 08_02_36-Bright As Day 3000 Headlamp – Moonlight.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	482.7 KB 
ID:	488206  

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moonlight_1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	488237

^Here's how it looks from the front. Pretty sure when I bought the light it came with a GoPro curved adhesive mount. The light just clips into that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moonlight_2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	895.0 KB 
ID:	488238

^I run the cord through my goggle strap so isn't flopping around everywhere. And then I place the battery and excess cord in my goggle pocket on my pack. Zip up the goggle pocket and boom, super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Another ski goblin dwelling in the Arctic here. Been using the Moonlight BAD3000 for maybe 20ish night ski tours this winter and I really like it. I've had a few cheap "2000 lumen" lamps and the Moonlight is just on a different level: the beam is strong, quite wide and diffused so it works very well even while skiing the trees in a storm. The battery seems quite good.

Rigging: the lamp came with an extension cord. I usually keep the battery in the lid pocket of my backpack or if it's properly cold, inside of my jacket. Been meaning to make a small clip to route the cable neatly from the front of the helmet, but not planning on any lamp skiing this time of the year.

Moonlight seems awesome but I night ski at least 50 days a year in the backcountry and have never needed more power than I get from my Thrunite TH10 V2. I ski thru a lot of bushwhacky terrain and I know that the higher profile and exposed cords on the Moonlight would be a problem for me. My only issues with visibility come when I am skiing in a blizzard outside of trees, and no light can really fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Moonlight seems awesome but I night ski at least 50 days a year in the backcountry and have never needed more power than I get from my Thrunite TH10 V2. I ski thru a lot of bushwhacky terrain and I know that the higher profile and exposed cords on the Moonlight would be a problem for me. My only issues with visibility come when I am skiing in a blizzard outside of trees, and no light can really fix that.
    If you’re getting it done with something smaller then there’s really no reason to upgrade. But the headlamps from Moonlight are pretty bombproof. The majority of my night skiing is in the trees, and I’ve tomahawked more times than I can count with this thing strapped to my head. I’ve never had it pop off or get tangled in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaHead96 View Post
    If you’re getting it done with something smaller then there’s really no reason to upgrade. But the headlamps from Moonlight are pretty bombproof. The majority of my night skiing is in the trees, and I’ve tomahawked more times than I can count with this thing strapped to my head. I’ve never had it pop off or get tangled in anything.
    Good to know that its durable! I am more worried about smacking it on a tree branch or snagging it on a bush and causing a crash. I might get one just out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I always buy a light that has a red lamp option. Red doesn't reflect back at you while it's a dumping blizzard. Some vision is better than none.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    I always buy a light that has a red lamp option. Red doesn't reflect back at you while it's a dumping blizzard. Some vision is better than none.
    Interesting, are there any lights that have high powered red mode?