Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 1963
    Pouring one out for my Crystal friends while excited Alpental will see a decrease in crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    My conspiracy theory has always been that they took it off unlimited IKON and upped the price to maintain revenue while reducing demand while they rebuilt the base area.

Now that the construction should be wrapped up before next season, this move makes sense.
    That sounds logical. But isn't Crystal under perpetual construction for one thing or another?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Ikon full pass went up $200 no?
    The inevitable increase in cost after many years of being (too) cheap is upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if that will mean Alpy and Stevens will see some relief next season as the priced out of the market hordes return to Ikon Pass next season.
    I doubt it means anything on the lift line. I think the vast majority of Ikoners are base passers and are happy with 5 days at Xtal, 5 days up the 90, and one trip out of the area….

I wonder what the average ski days per year is for Ikon or Epic pass holders. I bet it’s under 10. Maybe under 5…:

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

https://snowbrains.com/the-behaviora...resort-passes/

The stats are pretty wild. Only 7% ski 21+ days a season, 70% ski less than 10 days but a shockingly high percentage of them still buy season passes. 37% of people polled who skied 0-2 days still bought passes...

Most of that due to the reservation/day pass surge pricing/blackout/parking reservation cluster maze that a seasons pass seems to solve (and clearly by design by Alterra/Vail)

70% ski less than 10 days but a shockingly high percentage of them still buy season passes.
    The shocking thing is that still pencils out in most cases. Not much reason not to buy some kind of pass these days.

ah, the siren's call of full crystal access for "only" $1.25k

The 4am wake ups to beat the 7:30 greenwater / blvd red snake, 4x a winter pineapples and $24 half plate of fish n chips out of a shipping container don’t have you jazzed to spend 4 digits?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The shocking thing is that still pencils out in most cases. Not much reason not to buy some kind of pass these days.
    This.

In Colorado, it generally makes sense if you're going to ski even 5 days at any of the "majors" 'round here.

I've been on one sort of "mega-pass" or another since the '96/'97 season when I had a Summit Pass that covered all the resorts in Summit County. And it cost a grand, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Skiing is sure not cheap...

We have family in Bend with a week for Xmas. The other blackout dates are key dates EVERYONE with kids has to target for ski vacations.

We will be close to breaking even for this maiden voyage of the Ikon pass. Without a doubt, I missed unlimited access to Alpental...but overall, it's hard not to go with the no blackout option, and it's nice to see Crystal at unlimited for the coming year. Not sure I understand the Ikon hate...who is paying 150 a day X however many you have in the family who ski regularly...

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    Not sure I understand the Ikon hate...
    Try harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Try harder.
    Ok.

Ok.
    That doesn't sound very convincing.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I can only hope they drop the 5-days at Snoqualmie Pass.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    That doesn't sound very convincing.
    Yeah, perhaps I did not express myself well. I can certainly see why locals don't like it as it certainly brings traffic to the local hill that may not have been there before. Perhaps I misread comments, but it seems there is hate for those who purchased one. That we are all just Jerrys\newbs that get into trouble in that local gnar. (not you of course)

In any case, gone are the days I can leave at the drop of a hat and ski pow. Maximizing my options, checking out areas I'd not normally hit, and not paying the ungodly day pass rates worked for me.

And yeah...I look forward to invading your hill this coming Xmas. I might need to invest in a pass holder so I can proudly display on my helmet!

Way off topic, apologies.

37% of people polled who skied 0-2 days still bought passes...
    It’s the gym membership phenomenon- “This year is the year I’ll hit the slopes more!”

People’s eyes are bigger than their stomachs…

A guy I work with has full Ikon full Epic this season. Like $1900 in passes. So far he’s clocked 1 day at Crystal, 1 at Stevens, 2 at Whistler.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

it seems there is hate for those who purchased one. That we are all just Jerrys\newbs that get into trouble in that local gnar. .
    Well, the description is remarkably accurate if you go to alpental on a powday.

I do think the stigma comes from a Ikon/Epic holder not having a true "home mountain", and thus not supporting and keeping alive "local culture", etc. Its supporting The System/The Man, and selling out. Its similar to shopping at Walmart or Amazon instead of the local stores.

there's a lot more to pass purchasing than the raw breakdown of how many days you can ski at what price with what pass regimen

past a certain middle-ish income bracket buying a pass and under utilizing it is worth it simply to not have to worry about all the other nonsense that goes with it, never mind if you were a few hundred dollars sub-maximally efficient about the whole thing

in a region as expensive as pugetopolis, the cost of a pass spread over a ski season or an entire year, just isn't that much to most residents

Ikon + Snoqualmie remedy pass is the way to go. I don't ski many weekends in Jan/Feb, but try to get as many nights as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairmaster View Post
    I can only hope they drop the 5-days at Snoqualmie Pass.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Help me dig a moat ?!

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    It’s the gym membership phenomenon- “This year is the year I’ll hit the slopes more!”

A guy I work with has full Ikon full Epic this season. Like $1900 in passes. So far he’s clocked 1 day at Crystal, 1 at Stevens, 2 at Whistler.

That's not bad. It's 4 more days than I have at those ski areas.

I just checked Schweitzer and we still have a pass. $909 for a renewal but I'm sure it's just a matter of time for us to go Ikon. I'm not too excited for that since we really don't go to any of the areas with Ikon.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

This...is a good thing
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

The demographic and socio-political buttcrack.
    I'm not sure crustal going back to unlimited will move the needle much. Any well-anticipated pow days will still be a cluster like everywhere else.
    Alterra will likely continue creating choke points, while simultaneously avoiding adding any new lifts or additional terrain.