Page 188 of 198 FirstFirst ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 ... LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 4935
    Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    AXS for emtb... must have or meh?
    Transmission is really, really nice on ebike.

Anyone have any experience with Giant E bikes? I am perusing the market, looking to get something for the wife that I can also "borrow" when I am not in the mood for the pedally bike. Guy at the shop was showing me this bike:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/re...s-3-20mph-2023

Just wondering if anyone knows how reliable the motor and battery are.

Much thanks.

we have a local Giant dealer who has sold some of these , its using the Yamaha motor which i havent heard anything bad or good about, but its not your more usual Bosch or Shimano
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Electric Bike Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Giant E bikes? I am perusing the market, looking to get something for the wife that I can also "borrow" when I am not in the mood for the pedally bike. Guy at the shop was showing me this bike:

Much thanks.
    I’ve got a Trance E. I’ve mostly got good things to say about it, except the motor is prone to overheating and shutting off when pushed really hard. A hot day, plus full assist, ripping up a steep fire road, it’ll overheat and shut off about 3500-4000ft of vert up every time.

I think the root cause is Giant having shrouded the power unit too well within the carbon frame, so not enough heat exchange can occur when you’re pushing it really hard. Not an issue if you’re not doing long winch and plummet style self-shuttles, but I found it irritating for my use case. Maybe they’ve fixed the issue, or maybe it’s not an issue on the aluminum bikes since they should in theory conduct heat away from the motor better than carbon, but it’s been a bit of a nuisance for me.

By comparison, when I demoed the Orbea Wild with a Bosch drive unit, I intentionally hammered out a vertical mile at max power output on a very hot day, and instead of overheating and just shutting off, it reduced its power output once it started to get hot but kept going.

I will say, the Giant/Yamaha drive unit is the smoothest and most natural I’ve been on, and was generally impressive other than the overheating thing.

Speaking of the Giant, I’ve got a 2022 XL Giant Trance X E+2 Advanced that I’m prepping for sale, would sell real cheap like to a mag if anyone’s interested.

REI has a pretty big sale on their cargo e bike (https://www.rei.com/product/190640/c...-electric-bike).

Seems like a pretty good deal for something I'm just going to use for getting groceries and running errands around town.

Anything to be aware of?

Any decent MTB hardtail type ebikes? I've seen bikes with smaller batteries, sold a lightweight version with smaller assist distance. I'd like something similar to a Specialized Chisel, carbon fork hardtail, maybe 35kbs total?

Use case is my wife to ride on very tame trails and bike paths with me. Very unlikely she'd ride more than 20 miles. So smaller battery and lighter weight has its advantages.

Under 2k?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post

Much thanks.
    I spent a bunch of days on an alloy giant Ebike last summer in Italy. Solid. Zero issues. Everything we did was big up.
    My buddy manages a rental fleet of majority Giant and has several dozen. He said no motor issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

BC parks is using 2 of the Giant E hardtails they got at the local dealer to get into the park which is just going up/down a gravel road, one of the parkies I know told me he thot it was a bad idea until he tried it and realized how much faster/ easier it was riding an E-bike than hiking it every day.

I picked one up and it felt pretty fucking heavy compared to my carbon Bullit but they are pretty cheap, I think just under 3 K and there is service at the Giant dealer, probably better than one of them bikes made of Chinesium

I think if we’re going to compare Giant as a brand to any of the bougie brands, that’s just a different conversation for a different thread. Giant makes great, solid, modern, well designed, rippers. But they don’t convince anyone that their bikes cure world hunger or erectile dysfunction. They do however, make a lot of other company’s bikes. And they come with local dealer support, which is probably the single most important variable if you have any technology anxiety

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That roughly lines up with my levo. I only have the 500wh battery, and I can get around 5k vert in trail mode.

I do find that my battery usage is strongly tied to speed. Quickest way to kill a battery is to go fast up a dirt road climb. Slow single track climbing uses a lot less juice for me. Which also makes xxx's numbers seem plausible since he says he's only averaging 12 kph.
    so yesturday I left the truck at home, started my ride going at 32kph on flat ground on the outskirts of town followed by a singetrack climb to both lookouts at < 13kph and I ran out of juice on the road to the brewery

so yeah going faster is what seems to burn more power than climbing at slow speed

if i had driven to the area I could have got another trip up the bluff and still not run out of juice

Well, now I am poor, but I will have a Relay and a bunch of United miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

https://nationalpost.com/shopping-es...g-to-an-expert

This is a pretty good artical for people contemplating an e-bike especaily those who are completley clueless

as buddy points out some of these bikes you can buy on-line are shit

Another thing buddy points out that I hadn't thot about is make sure the batteries are UL certifyed cuz there have been a lot of battery fires

Just checked. My $699 Ancheer' s bat is not UL stamped. Better get some of my valuables appraised for a claim.

I wonder if all of the EV cars have UL approved?

https://gcaptain.com/fire-out-on-fremantle-highway/
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    I wonder if all of the EV cars have UL approved?

https://gcaptain.com/fire-out-on-fremantle-highway/
    Any car sold in the US has to conform to NHTSA specs, which includes requirements for batteries.

This is an insane deal.

Intense Tazer
    MX wheels, 160/155 carbon frame with good geo
    Midpower motor (and you could upgrade it later to an EP8 if you want)
    Fox Float 38 and X2 suspension
    <49#
    $4600 new after their $1000 off 30 year anniversary sale

https://intensecycles.com/products/tazer-fox-build

I paid 11500 can $ for the lowest spec Bullit 23 months ago and I was lucky to snag it or any bike, I just seen the same spec for 10200 can $ so prices are coming down and the LBS had lots of E-bikes

Friend came down last couple of days with an extra Turbo Levo for me to ride. E bikes are fun. XXX do you send the piper?
    off your knees Louie

I have never been that good or that young but I am still moving albeit slowly

The " Peak to Pint " is this weekend, a chinese downhill / beat the train/ single track from the top of ski hill to the bar where you chug a pint

they have to buy 2 cans of root beer cuz the kid who always wins it is not old enough to drink

the piper is a tough right of passage for a kid growing up in Smithers
    off your knees Louie

It may be but I havent heard that, i think you just want to be good enough to not kack it, I think Junior did it when he rode here

Does anyone have experience with these essentially electric mopeds?

Curious about something for a good weather 10-15 mile back road commute that's neither a bicycle nor a motorcycle, and for the price I have to say I'm intrigued..

https://freegobikes.com/products/fre...ric-cargo-bike

https://www.smartravelor.com/product...4aAuR0EALw_wcB

I know I'd be annoyed by pedals instead of pegs on a 72lbs fat tire full suspension emoto with a 1400W motor.

That looks like exactly the kind of thing that's gonna burn my house down.

Also, marketing managers take note: this guy is awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebike guy.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	466561

The pedals are just for claiming its an E-bike nobody in that focus group actualy uses the pedals eh

but that is the incorrect kit for this app an old/ fat tester/ bermuda shorts/ white socks/ sandals/ banging a Marlboro would be more appropo