Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Title 9 is dead

Title 9 is dead

All animals are equal, but some are more equal

https://www.ctpost.com/highschool/ar...o-12967306.php
    . . .

Chess.

I didn’t have that on my bingo card.

It seems men are crossing over to women’s chess to win. I didn’t see that coming.

https://handbook.fide.com/chapter/Tr...derRegulations

Stanley Omondi, disguised himself & cheated through Chess Kenya open as a woman where he was poised to win Sh500K. Omondi, kept his identity a secret by wearing a niqab and using the name Millicent Awuor.

I hope I wake up one day to find out this is all just a bad dream.

There's plenty of biological differences within men and women even for those born as men and women where people will be generally eliminated from contention at top levels. If you're a swimmer with a negative ape index or a basketball player a standard deviation shorter (or more) than average, you're seeing the same thing happen. Was it fair for the people that played against LeBron when he was in high school?
    If we want to do this right, we need to realistic about individual likely potential and handicap or group against that - something like five buckets that include men and women with an open category at the top.

Hard to argue against the physiological advantage of going through puberty with testes pumping out testosterone that increase hemoglobin, lean muscle mass, height, cardiac output, and bone density.

Qualifying transgender athletes based on testosterone levels does not account for the true physiological advantages biological men have when competing against women.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    with an open category at the top.
    That already exists. There is no rule saying women cannot play in pro men's leagues (see golf for examples of women who have played pro men competitions in the modern era).

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    That already exists. There is no rule saying women cannot play in pro men's leagues (see golf for examples of women who have played pro men competitions in the modern era).
    Depends on the sport, though. Not many sports in the Olympics, for example, are open to both men and women in the same events although there a few.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Depends on the sport, though. Not many sports in the Olympics, for example, are open to both men and women in the same events although there a few.
    I wouldnt doubt the IOC has specific sex guidelines for mens vs womens sports... but realistically, the women's sports are just slower/lower/lighter versions of the same mens sports. I dont think there are any olympic sports that are fundamentally different or only open to one of the sexes? maybe artistic gymnastics if thats still even a thing? Synchronized swimming? Even womens (real) gymnastics only has a single discipline that is fundamentally different from the mens disciplines.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I wouldnt doubt the IOC has specific sex guidelines for mens vs womens sports... but realistically, the women's sports are just slower/lower/lighter versions of the same mens sports. I dont think there are any olympic sports that are fundamentally different or only open to one of the sexes? maybe artistic gymnastics if thats still even a thing? Synchronized swimming? Even womens (real) gymnastics only has a single discipline that is fundamentally different from the mens disciplines.
    Next year men will be allowed in the team event for artistic swimming (new name for synchro) for the first time. I believe rhythmic gymnastics is still women only.

Good, can we have a doping and non doping category too?

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I’d love to see that in MMA…full doped, no guilt, monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    That's usually a country level split.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    I hope I wake up one day to find out this is all just a bad dream.
    right? I really can't get my mind around how this is happening.

The backlash is going to be brutal.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

This is a tough one. First, what's in the article is rare, but obviously does happen.
    I'm about as woke as it gets, but if something doesn't seem fair, it probably isn't. Maybe get rid of the male/female categories, have all times listed together with gender also listed. Cis and trans. I mean it sure seems like individually competitive sports could just have multiple categories.

I'm basic, but ELI5. Why can't sports separate athletes based on genes? XX AND XY.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    right? I really can't get my mind around how this is happening.

The backlash is going to be brutal.
    It's not too hard.
    Considering all factors about 10% of the population can fall under the "intersex" category. Scientifically sex is on a spectrum. Sociologically gender is on a spectrum. Most people have historically been forced into the binary because of social pressures. Now that those social pressures are disappearing more people, especially in the younger generation are rejecting the binary. As a society we aren't adapting to this very well, because one side desperately wants to rebuild those social pressures. (To put it lightly)

Rasputin is offline Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    I’d love to see that in MMA…full doped, no guilt, monsters.
    I posted a video of this but then deleted it, because of the blatantly insulting commentary. However, I will post Michael Bisping's take on it.

https://www.sportbible.com/ufc/news-...-wmma-20210917

Incidentally, the percentage of intersex individuals is not 10% but 1.7% according to Amnesty International.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...ed-to-shatter/
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

As everything it depends on the parameters used, hence why I added "considering all factors". The 1.3-1.7% figure is specifically attributed to "physically identifiable traits".

But, the percentage is irrelevant as either way it proves that biologically sex is not a binary.

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    This is a tough one. First, what's in the article is rare, but obviously does happen.
    I'm about as woke as it gets, but if something doesn't seem fair, it probably isn't. Maybe get rid of the male/female categories, have all times listed together with gender also listed. Cis and trans. I mean it sure seems like individually competitive sports could just have multiple categories.
    How would this work, though? At the highest level it would be all those who were born male. No woman would ever win an Olympic medal again.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    How would this work, though? At the highest level it would be all those who were born male. No woman would ever win an Olympic medal again.
    Really? Olympic ribbon dancing is going to be won by men?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Really? Olympic ribbon dancing is going to be won by men?
    Great, you found the one event where women will continue to win.

Life is not fair. And no one's rights are absolute. When a trans woman who has gone through male puberty is allowed to compete against other women her right (actually it's a priviliege, not a right but that's a different argument) to compete is respected but the right (again, it's really a privilege) of many other women to have a fair chance to win is not respected. In this case the right of the many outweighs the right of the one, IMO. That is not always the case--depending on what the competing rights are. It's case by case.

In the case of sports there is a very easy solution that respects both the right to participate and the right to fair competition-- the trans runner should be allowed to compete--against me, while recognizing her as a woman. Not that unusual, particularly at the lower age groups. So she still has the right to compete, just not as good of a chance to win (but I bet she would have beat me at that age).

And for the record--at one time Lynn Hill was the best pure rock climber in the world, male or female. First free ascent of the El Cap nose and first to do it in less than 24 hours. (That's free, not free solo--for those who might not know the difference.)

Sometimes I want to identify as a 10 year old..

I remember in 2nd grade hockey after the end of the regular season they had us playing the city adult women's hockey team. We were laughing thinking they'd suck. They beat the living shit out of us hahahahaha!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!