Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Q: WHERE THE FUCK ARE WE WITH < 1,200 GRAM TOURING BOOTS?

A: You could be there now with less belly fat and more core strength.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    The TLT5P walked great, but was almost unskiable for me with the stupid metatarsal flex. 1*, would not ski again. YMMV
    Hopefully LVS can yard ski on em well enough for his liking.

For lighter people wanting a very light boot that skis well above its weight class i hear the Alien RS is money.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Hopefully LVS can yard ski on em well enough for his liking.
    Indeed. Had they fit me at all, I might have rigged a way to lock out the metatarsal flex.

I'd like to try an Alien RS (unlikely it will fit) or a Travers carbon. As it stands, I don't currently ski enough to justify yet another pair of boots.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Man, are you guys talking about the Maestrale RS 1, Maestrale RS2, or the Alien RS? Sounds like the OG Maestrale RS, but some clarification would help.

The Maestrale RS 1 and TLT5P aren't even the same class in skiing performance. The TLT5P walked great, but was almost unskiable for me with the stupid metatarsal flex. 1*, would not ski again. YMMV
    I was talking Maestrale RS 1.0 (white lower with black cabrio/orange buckles) simply because it's the only touring boot I've used. Was just curious what the lighter boots more focused on touring/mountaineering feel like to skin/hike/scramble. I'm much too fat to ever use them though.

2018/19 Tecnica Zero G Pro Tour is ~1300g (without Intuition liner), that's gotta be a contender for this thread?

I might be failing with the search function but this seems to be a legit thread to bump for current info regardless and It IS boot size related...

Salomon Shifts are coming my way and I know the Cast folks can adapt my Lange downhill boots. There'd be no walk mode and they'd be heavy but that may be the direction this goes.

Lange (a favorite boot to date because of the low volume fit) makes the XT Free series but they aren't offering my size in the XT free line up leading me to search other touring boots.

Apparently Scarpa Maelstrales could be had in my size but they aren't compatible with the Shifts.

My current Langes are 352 mm and 350mm.....I'm not familiar with all the touring boot names out there ....anyone care to offer up their knowledge in these sizes for touring??

or point me to an existing thread??

Many many thanks...

earlywood try this

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ot+comparative

It'll help but also might confuse.

Dynafit Vulcans or Khions (carbons) might be worth a shot, or Head Kore 1 boots - all of which you can find on Ebay/Backcountry/L9 Sports in your size (I believe if bsl is anything to go by). Fischer Ranger Free 130s might be worth a try as well. So it sounds like you have quite a few and rather good options - if spendy - too choose from, provided 30.5 shells fit.

or just go for who makes a model in your size after determining your BSL.
    https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-...gth-size-chart

As for sizing, just google mondo size, and follow the instructions on how to basically just measure the length of your foot from heel to toe and voila, you know what size you need. If the shell is too large stock (meaning the right size length wise but to wide over the foot and over the ankle), i would just buy an after market shell that builds more - like a high volume Intuition shell - and make due. I should be able to find a boot that fits you with some customization, again provided 30.5 or smaller work. If not, then i do not know.

touring without a walk mode is going to suck, even for pretty short distances.

hey thanks you guys...Lee I see what you mean, kidpow, that evo chart is great I'm just not seeing 31 Mondo, now my head hurts.. thanks for those suggestions.
    I got up a second wind earlier and searched the net by Mondo only and finding AT boots out the Vulcans and Beasts, been going through a lot of reviews in the past fews days but it's coming down to what's available in my size and not what I'd want. The Lange XT 120s sounds like what I want (though now I'll check your suggestions)...I sent Lange an email asking why they don't offer the larger size fwiw

I would go and see if the Rangers or Heads fit. Especially the former is probably punchable more than just a little bit, so with/without a custom liner that could be an option. They might not be 100% what you want on paper, but then again beggars can't be choosers, and waiting for Lange to make a 31 mondo shell is probably gonna be a long wait

I have not seen anybody making mondo 31s either - 30.5 seem rare enough as is, with most just going up to 29.5. Then again the difference between 30.5 and 31 is a measly 5mm, even if shells usually come in whole + 1/2 larger size with the liner being the only difference, surely you would be able to make a 30.5 shell fit.

Even a toe box punched like crazy should be a better fit than a race boot mod'ed to tour in. If you can find a cheap second hand 30.5 shell with Dynafit inserts I guess you could always start cutting and spleising the front for a true FrankenBoot

i would also suggest you make a specific thread. Most Clydes will probably not look in this thread as <1200gr touring boots are not where they are at.

yur def right...I got my ass out to a boot shop and squeezed into Atomic Hawk XTDs at 29.5 and I seriously can't say these wouldn't work..
    and yur right about this being the wrong thread , I thought this was about 200 lb guys and shit (and me not knowing whether 1200 grams was light or heavy for us) but, yeah , this thread is a stretch for my laziness...
    carry on and thanks again....I'll be hitting the shops

hah - funny - my original reply recommended XTDs, but edited them out due them only coming in 29.5 and below I run a pair of those as well and have been a happy camper with them, albeit with Intuition ProTour liners.

Good to know that testing some boots gave you back home in finding a pair that fits