Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: tattoo opinions

tattoo opinions

just the bars....about 4x2 inches, centered on back, just below necl. between the shoulder blades

considering adding "RISE ABOVE" in text below, tho leaning toward just the image

a bit cheesy in some ways...but I like the fact that those who don't know what it is won't, and those who do will

flame away
    Last edited by wookalar; 07-05-2005 at 04:15 AM.

Why don't you turn it into a poster and hang it on your wall instead? Easier to get rid of when you get bored of it.

fair enough

I was within a whisker of getting it 5 yrs ago...told myself if I still wanted it a year later I'd get it...and here we are 4 yrs later....

been a fan since 88 or so...and I like the attitude that the image represents...again, 95% of the world has no idea what it means....

plus...long story short...I lost a fiance about a year ago...someone that was the center of me for 5 yrs...tho it may not make sense to anyone but me, this feels like something I can have forever that marks closure....

keep em coming...rather hear it now before it's permanent....
    Last edited by wookalar; 07-05-2005 at 04:35 AM.

Picture yourself at 80 years old with that faded tattoo on yourself, then picture yourself answering your grandchildren's questions about it and how you'd feel when telling them.

That's the "test" I gave myself before getting my tats, not some arbitrary 4-year "see how I feel later" sort of thing.
    Last edited by 13; 07-05-2005 at 04:52 AM.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

fwiw...I dug both of my grandfather's navy tattoes

and if I make it to 80...if I should be so lucky...the world can kiss my ass....

Quote Originally Posted by wookalar
    fwiw...I dug both of my grandfather's navy tattoes

and if I make it to 80...if I should be so lucky...the world can kiss my ass....
    FKNA!

So what is it, anyway?

So what is it, anyway?

therein lies my point

it's a logo for the band Black Flag

thanks for the kudos

Quote Originally Posted by 13
    Picture yourself at 80 years old with that faded tattoo on yourself, then picture yourself answering your grandchildren's questions about it and how you'd feel when telling them.

That's the "test" I gave myself before getting my tats, not some arbitrary 4-year "see how I feel later" sort of thing.

what do you have yourself?

do you like what you've got...any regrets?

that's a pretty good test too...after consideration, I'd tell my grandkids with no hesitation...

Ha! Too funny. I almost got the Black Flag Bars tattoo back in 1987. If you get it stick with the bars only.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

thanks, leaning that way

still wish you'd gotten it or no?

thanks, leaning that way

still wish you'd gotten it or no?
    Indifferent. No regrets either way. With the current fad in tattoo,s it almost seems cool not to have one. Back in 87' it would have been more rebellious - especially Black Flag during the Springsteen/Madonna era.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

I almost got one years ago - SO glad I didn't...

word

good to see another clutch fan as well...have a great day!

I've been demonstrating my rebellious, anti-establishment ways by proudly displaying my lack of tattoos.

Why use a logo for some band? If I were to get a tatto it would be something original not a copy of someone elses work let alone a logo. That logo will be a black blob in 30 - 40 years.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

can't find an "original design" I like

the (((tribal design)) or celtic thing is played out imo...

no desire for dragons or flames either

and...to me...this is more than a band logo...imo, black flag became something bigger

and as mentioned before, if I'm still kicking 30-40 yrs from now the condition of a tat is the least of my concerns...I'll probably be a blob then too....

I think it's pretty cool and have always liked the bars (although not a Black Flag fan). That'd be a good place to get it; maybe think about how you would like it if it were in a place where you'd see it all the time. And then go and get one of those celtic knot things across your lower back, those seem to be very popular among teenage sluts at the moment.

If you really want a certain tattoo, you won't need anyones opinion on it.

I was once told that the four bars represent the 4 fingers on a fist as its coming at you. Guess they forgot about the thumb. Doesn't Rollins have this on the back of his neck as well? You should go for the big sun, like the one he has on his back, now thats a friggin tattoo!

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    If you really want a certain tattoo, you won't need anyones opinion on it.

great point

just looking for opinions I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas
    I think it's pretty cool and have always liked the bars (although not a Black Flag fan). That'd be a good place to get it; maybe think about how you would like it if it were in a place where you'd see it all the time. And then go and get one of those celtic knot things across your lower back, those seem to be very popular among teenage sluts at the moment.
    That's the thing about back tattoos.
    Lots of folks forget they're there until they take their shirt off, and everyone goes "whoa" what's up with that??

Plus, you spend all that money and thought on ink, and you can't see it except when you have two mirrors.

Why do you want the tattoo on your back of all places?

I think upper arm would be better. More traditional and masculine.

Since your design is simple, why not test it out with magic marker.
    Seriously, draw (or have someone else draw) the bars on your upper arm and see how it looks. Wake up the next morning, see how it looks, and visualize yourself looking that way forever.

P.S. - grampas tatoos were different becuase he was going to war, and prolly not coming back (and drunk off his ass with a bunch of other tatoo hungry guys). Veteran's tatoos are the best!

P.P.S. - sorry about your fiance. Was she a Flag or a tatoo fan? or are you just reacting to the depression and anger of losing someone so important? Think about your (someday) future fiancee - will you want the kind of woman who loves tats, or will the type of girl you like think your a bit unstable for having a band tattoo?

can't find an "original design" I like
    Original means you don't "find" it, you create it.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Dude, I totally think that you should get a Jerry Bear instead. I mean, if you're gonna get one related to a band it might as well be an actually good band.

I have one that is very similar to one my recently departed granddad had on his arm. Since it always fascinated me as a kid I don't worry too much about any hypothetical grandkids being ashamed of it.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver
    Original means you don't "find" it, you create it.

nobody wants to see anything I can draw...much less have it inked permanently....

I know what you're saying, but that's not what I'm looking to do

I was on a bender last night and got "THUG LIFE" tattooed on my abs and a biohazard symbol on my forehead. I think I might regret it later.