Thread: Yelapa Mexico

Yelapa Mexico

We are looking at going to Mexico for ~10 days this April. We were thinking of the kids' spring break, but it falls on Easter this year and shit is WAY more expensive then. So now we are just thinking about pulling them out of school.

My 40th is also during this time frame and seems like a good way to spend it.

Anyone spent any time in Yelapa?

We don't really care about surfing (I suck) but would like good food, and some other stuff to do (snorkeling, hiking, waterfalls, swimming, etc)

We have travelled a fair amount with the kids (Vietnam, Thailand, CR, Mexico, laos, japan, etc) so not too worried about those challenges, but any info would be helpful.

If not Yelapa, where?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Well travelled kids....nice...I have nothing else to add. Enjoy your trip

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Wear matching MAGA hats.
    Hilarity will ensue.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I spent an afternoon in Yelapa as a day trip from Puerto Vallarta. You'd have to really want to get away and slow things down to spend 10 days there.

^agreed

How old are the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    How old are the kids?
    I was thinking he mentioned "Spring Break" and that no College age kids want to go on a Spring Break trip with their parents along. But then he mentioned just pulling them from school, so probably at least younger.

I spent a few days there paragliding with some friends from Telluride. Not really a water sports place (I snorkel and surf)...the pongas bring people from PV all day... town is okay... scene is cool but not on my list of where I would take my daughter in Mexico.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TGR Forums mobile app

Yelapa Mexico

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Kids are 13 and 10

Looking now at flying into Cancun, checking out tulum, but then trying to get away from the crowds and checking out either Isla Holbox or Bacalar

Anyone?

I cant say enough about Todos Santos and Playa Cerritos ~45 min north of Cabo. Todos Santos has the food, Cerritos has the surf, and its all conveniently accessed from Los Cabos airport. There are tons of other beaches to explore along that coast for day trips and you see very few tourists.

I could easily spend 10 days just staying on Playa Cerritos and completely ignore Todos Santos and vice versa.

Yelapa Mexico

We spent last Easter/spring break in Sayulita. Wife and I and our 4 kids. Semana Santa makes the beach towns really busy. We had fun but if you don’t like crowds it would get a bit overwhelming.

The beach was full right down to the water. Wed-Sunday. The days leading up to that was normal, a couple rows of umbrellas and super chill.

Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    I cant say enough about Todos Santos and Playa Cerritos ~45 min north of Cabo. Todos Santos has the food, Cerritos has the surf, and its all conveniently accessed from Los Cabos airport. There are tons of other beaches to explore along that coast for day trips and you see very few tourists.

I could easily spend 10 days just staying on Playa Cerritos and completely ignore Todos Santos and vice versa.
    We've spent lots of time in that area. Looking for something different. But thanks.

My parents used to live in San Jose del Cabo and we'd go down to visit them, then leave for a few days of TS, LP, Cerritos, etc

Thanks for the thought though

A friend just held her second or third yoga retreat in Yelapa. She loves that place. If you have any specific questions i'm happy to ping her.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Kids are 13 and 10

Looking now at flying into Cancun, checking out tulum, but then trying to get away from the crowds and checking out either Isla Holbox or Bacalar

Anyone?
    I've been looking lately at Xcalak. Mainly for the saltwater flyfishing, but also because it just looks laid back, remote, and unspoiled. Problem is the lack of tourism infrastructure. Lots of small hotels, not much in the way of dining out. A friend who has been there a half-dozen times says it's a 5.5 hour drive from Cancun airport, on pretty good roads. Closer to Chetumal, but he finds Chetumal "sketchy" and doesn't like driving to/from that airport.

Another friend who married into a mexican family and ahs spent a LOT of time around Tulum loves that area enough he's planning his retirement there because it's affordable, friendly, and the outdoor adventures are excellent. He also seconds Xcalak.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Isla Holbox is actually pretty similar to Xcalak, but is just a bit more developed.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Nwsno View Post
    We spent last Easter/spring break in Sayulita. Wife and I and our 4 kids. Semana Santa makes the beach towns really busy. We had fun but if you don’t like crowds it would get a bit overwhelming.

The beach was full right down to the water. Wed-Sunday. The days leading up to that was normal, a couple rows of umbrellas and super chill.
    San Pancho, one town north of Sayulita (15 minutes by car) is a little bit smaller and not as developed. A funky little resort town with enough activities and restaurants to keep you busy for the week. We did snorkeling one day, zip-lining and jungle hikes. We stayed in a house with a pool which mitigated the rough beach. Had a very nice vacation.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    A friend just held her second or third yoga retreat in Yelapa. She loves that place. If you have any specific questions i'm happy to ping her.
    Good for her, here is what the US State Dept has to say about the state of Jalisco.

– Level 3: Reconsider Travel

Reconsider travel due to crime. Violent crime and gang activity are common in parts of Jalisco state.

U.S. government employees are prohibited from travel to areas bordering Michoacán and Zacatecas states. U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling between cities after dark and from using Highway 80 between Cocula and La Huerta.

U.S. government employees may use federal toll road 15D for travel to Mexico City. However, they may not stop in the towns of La Barca or Ocotlan for any reason.

U.S. government employees are prohibited from patronizing adult clubs and gambling establishments in Jalisco.

There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees for stays in the following tourist areas in Jalisco state: Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Chapala, and Ajijic.y about traveling to the State of Jalisco.

"Violent crime and gang activity are common in parts of" every major american city. Nice job encouraging xenophobia.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post
    "Violent crime and gang activity are common in parts of" every major american city. Nice job encouraging xenophobia.
    Having traveled extensively in Mexico the State Dept warning should not be taken lightly. I am unaware of any US cities where the Military patrols central business districts with fully armed soldiers and 50 caliper machine guns mounted in trucks. More than a little unsettling to be sitting in a sidewalk cafe enjoying desert after dinner in an otherwise beautiful city and see the Mexican Army patrolling.

Certainly there are dangerous areas of major US Cities, but I have never seen a sandbagged military installation with automatic weapons in a City Square. Tolls booths in Mexico often have soldiers with machine guns providing protection.

No Xenophopia here just a reality. Not sure of another large city where you should never take a taxi other than a Sitio taxi that is assigned to hotels, restaurant. Metered Taxi's in Mexico City are DANGEROUS and should never be used unless you have experience with the driver.

When traveling in Mexico our largest customer picked us up in unmarked vehicles with armed protection. We also had code words that were used in the airport with the guy standing outside customs holding the sign. The sign never had my name, the name of the company I worked for or the company I was visiting. No jewelry, no monogrammed shirts, plain tags on all luggage with no business cards or reference to the company we worked for.

Oh yea, this is just like many large cities across the globe.

^^^
    This is silly. Having traveled extensively in Jalisco, most recently last April, having never had any sort of issue--going to Yelapa will be fine. Fly into PV (safer than most American cities and bustling with tourist police and a tourist dependent economy) take a taxi boat to Yelapa (completely safe).