Page 111 of 134 FirstFirst ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 3332
    Already did that, They have plenty of clearance when fully deployed, its the initial step out is where the bulk of the brake is only catching on top sheet. I just don’t know if them catching like that will cause additional wear on the components of the heel piece/brake.

So I've been running Shifts with Lange boots and either WTR (first-year XT 130) or alpine DIN soles (140 Pro), and I've been happy with them overall—the only times I've come out before crashing involved waterbar impacts.

Now I'm trying to set mine up for my new Hawx XTD boots, and the Shift AFD doesn't seem to contact the "contact rectangle" on the bootsole, as one of the sole lugs hits first:

Does that look like a reasonable AFD height setting? If I go up to the next detent on the adjustment, they're decidedly tight; with the AFD down a detent, there's what appears to be a huge gap.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    So I've been running Shifts with Lange boots and either WTR (first-year XT 130) or alpine DIN soles (140 Pro), and I've been happy with them overall—the only times I've come out before crashing involved waterbar impacts.

Now I'm trying to set mine up for my new Hawx XTD boots, and the Shift AFD doesn't seem to contact the "contact rectangle" on the bootsole, as one of the sole lugs hits first:

Does that look like a reasonable AFD height setting? If I go up to the next detent on the adjustment, they're decidedly tight; with the AFD down a detent, there's what appears to be a huge gap.
    Trim the sole lug with a razor blade.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Disclaimer, i dont know what im talking about, just talking:

The hard plastic WTR contact rectangle on your bootsole is meant so that your boots are compatible with stationary alpine AFDs (like a STH)- they slide across each other to smoothly release. The fact that the Shifts AFD slides back and forth means that the grippy sole of your boot can be the contact point without issue- it effectively mimics how a full rubber soled touring boot would be setup i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Disclaimer, i dont know what im talking about, just talking:

The hard plastic WTR contact rectangle on your bootsole is meant so that your boots are compatible with stationary alpine AFDs (like a STH)- they slide across each other to smoothly release. The fact that the Shifts AFD slides back and forth means that the grippy sole of your boot can be the contact point without issue- it effectively mimics how a full rubber soled touring boot would be setup i believe.
    That's a good point; I hadn't thought about full-on touring boots and the binding being fully MNC. Whether or not you know what you're talking about, that theory makes sense to me.

Deleted..

Sorry I know the answer may be in the thread but can’t find it.
    A shift mounted by a reputable shop with the official jig will be in the middle of the adjustment range, correct ? So if I ask for a 305mm mount, I’ll be able to use boots from 290mm to 320mm, right ?
    Asking this because I think I read somewhere that it was not in the middle, but maybe that was with the early paper templates, not sure. If anyone can confirm ...

Also it’s good to know that the only difference between the 10 and 13 is the spring, that means I (din 8) can share a pair with my din 6 mate on a 10 model while being in the middle of the range in both cases.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    A shift mounted by a reputable shop with the official jig will be in the middle of the adjustment range, correct ? So if I ask for a 305mm mount, I’ll be able to use boots from 290mm to 320mm, right ?
    Asking this because I think I read somewhere that it was not in the middle, but maybe that was with the early paper templates, not sure. If anyone can confirm ...

Also it’s good to know that the only difference between the 10 and 13 is the spring, that means I (din 8) can share a pair with my din 6 mate on a 10 model while being in the middle of the range in both cases.
    Not always the case. Usually on a new ski though.

If there was a previous mount, you can mount the toe, then use wiggle room on the heel to dodge any conflicting hole patterns. Techs that care will usually tell you. Some only care about getting you on the midsole and won't tell you otherwise on any adjustments on the heel.

I think as long as you're on a new ski, and the shop is a Salomon dealer, you should be good.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

This goes to show what a shitshow grip walk is. For markers with the AFD closer to the toe, It usually lines up ok. For other brands binding that have a more aft traditional AFD location, it often just doesn't line up. There are some theoretical thoughts that the more rear location provides better heel retention and edge control but I don't know if it actually applies in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    This goes to show what a shitshow grip walk is. For markers with the AFD closer to the toe, It usually lines up ok. For other brands binding that have a more aft traditional AFD location, it often just doesn't line up. There are some theoretical thoughts that the more rear location provides better heel retention and edge control but I don't know if it actually applies in real life.
    My older generation Hawx XTD 130s with the WTR sole needed a little rubber trimmed to sit nicely on a Shift AFD too.

Good on Solly, if this is the case. It drives me crazy when jig mounts only set the heel 1/3 of the way down the track (looking at you, Look.) It's totally understandable for junior bindings that expect the user's BSL to grow over the years, but at the adult level all it does is artificially limit tail flex and put a little extra weight further away from your center of gravity.

FWIW I mounted mine off the paper templates and adjusted the heel either 5mm or 10mm forward to maximize my tail length and center their weight as much as possible. There's still a little rearward adjustment left, and I've been super happy with the result.

Just another reason to use paper templates and mount your own bindings. Test on a 2x4 first to make sure the heel piece is where you want it to be.

For example, I have a small foot 295mm bsl). I mostly use Tyrolia Attacks, which have a ~34mm heel adjustment range, so I mount the bindings so they fit 293-327mm bsl which fits most boots 25.5-28.5 so I can sell them without the next buyer having to remount.

Would not trust some teenage shop tech (or most shop tech’s) to be able to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Shift has 30mm of heel length adjustment. If your boot is used to set the Shift jig length then once the forward pressure has been adjusted correctly you'll have 12mm rearward adjustment available and 18mm forward adjustment available.

do you guys think Owen will die if I put Shifts on his 153cm Nordica Santa Ana 100? The range is 6-13, he charts out at a 5.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

With the pre-release you’ll need to turn them up anyway

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

yeah he will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    do you guys think Owen will die if I put Shifts on his 153cm Nordica Santa Ana 100? The range is 6-13, he charts out at a 5.
    Just put the 4-10 din Shifts on instead.

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

not buying another binding

I have these in hand

sacrificing a set of my skis to get him going

probably do some inserts to stretch the budget

Do an ASTM test and get the NM. Chances are it'll probably still be in the "in use" range for a 5 setting.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Feed the kid more bacon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607392454.497254.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	283.1 KB 
ID:	351750

yeah he’s pretty skinny

Anyone know the chances of finding a replacement for one of the toe center mounting screws

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C8AAFF8-8C68-4043-811F-3C48F0DEE112.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	368.9 KB 
ID:	352258
    on the send bus to gnar town

easy to get at a shop

easy to get at a shop
    Tried some NE shops (ski monster, andes, stan & dans) with no luck. But Skimo.com says they are getting some next week or so, in case anyone else is looking
    on the send bus to gnar town

I’ve seen those used in other bindings so I thought it would be easy.

I think I have a couple extra.