Look Pivot Binding Recall

My buddy bought some Pivot 18 bindings on pro form a couple weeks ago, and he just got this email and forwarded it to me. Recall email from Look quoted below. Don't know what the issue is with the recalled units.

November 11, 2017

Dear Rossignol Group Customer,

We have received information indicating that there may be a small number of LOOK Pivot bindings produced in our factory in Nevers, France on or after July 27, 2017 that may have a technical issue that may affect their performance. You have received some of the potentially affected bindings. We are requesting your assistance in conducting an inspection of these bindings.

If your bindings are still in the box in which you received them, we ask that you check that the manufacturing date of these bindings is NOT July 27, 2017 or later. The manufacturing date is printed on the label affixed to the box the bindings are packaged in. A Picture of this label, with the date circled in red, appears below. Please note that the date is written DD/MM/YYYY, so July 27, 2017 will be written 27/07/2017.

Name:  image002.png
Views: 3733
Size:  268.1 KB

If the manufacturing date is NOT July 27, 2017 or later, your bindings cannot be impacted by this potential issue, and we ask that you communicate this information to us by e-mail to pleffler@rossignol.com. Some older bindings do not have a manufacturing date printed on the label, and these bindings also cannot be impacted.

We ask you to return any bindings for which you do not have the original packaging, or that you find with a manufacturing date of July 27, 2017 or later, to our Distribution Center in Ogden, UT. Please contact our Dealer Services Department at 888-243-6722 to make arrangements for this shipment. The Rossignol Group will pay the freight costs for this operation.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

The Rossignol Group

Return your bindings but.... no immediate replacement??

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

So is this every model with a turntable?

Or just P18s?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I suspect that the email is intended for dealers and pro form athletes. If you bought them from a shop, the shop would probably replace them for you and then deal with LOOK. I'm just posting as a PSA.

I purchased two pairs of P14 WTRs, have not mounted them yet.

If this is a recall, shouldn't it be made public on Looks website?

"Technical Bulletin" not a recall

OK based on the fast and passionate responses to this thread, I re-read the subject line of the email and it says "Look Pivot Technical Bulletin".

So, not a recall. And as to details if affected models, the email didn't say so I don't know.

Nobody panic just yet. Also I'm not affiliated with LOOK in any way, so I can't help you if you have questions or problems.

Damn, I’m pretty close.

July 5th 2017 here..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My P14 WTR (black) are 07/04/2017. So April 7th, 2017. Looks like I'm clear on that pair.

I'll have to dig out the white set (more recently purchased) when I have time.

Look Pivot Binding Recall

Makes me wonder how this will impact Cast. They are building binding kits at the moment, mine are at Cast, so I can not actually check the date. I doubt Look will honor any service after the bindings have been modified. I kind of wonder if this is Look trying to squish Cast? Anyone have any idea what part is affected?

Look doesn’t have to squash CAST. Amer is gonna do that shortly.

Look defiantly took issue with the new CAST concept however. No one was gonna comeafter CAST when their leg ripped apart.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I am curious what you are referencing? Patent law suits? Buy Out?

I just want to say, I am very happy that Look is Making pivot bindings that crap they were putting out in the mid 200's was a serious disapointment
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I just want to say, I am very happy that Look is Making pivot bindings that crap they were putting out in the mid 200's was a serious disapointment
    I agree. Ski binding technology has come a long way in the last 1800 years...

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    I agree. Ski binding technology has come a long way in the last 1800 years...
    Eat a bag of dicks

All i got
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post

Look defiantly took issue with the new CAST concept however. No one was gonna comeafter CAST when their leg ripped apart.
    Isn't a company like CAST just like a flea on the back of an elephant from Look's point of view? IOW, do they really care?

Perhaps you're referring to the fact that if CAST were to screw up, they (Look) could take a PR/credibility hit? I get that from Look's perspective.

Something in the pipeline with respect to Amer (Salomon?) that I missed?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-12-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

Something in the pipeline with respect to Amer (Salomon?) that I missed?

... Thom
    Amer has a touring binding which has tech toe that converts to alpine toe in the queue. I'd guess that's the supposed CAST killer.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Amer has a touring binding which has tech toe that converts to alpine toe in the queue. I'd guess that's the supposed CAST killer.
    The Pinding? Or is there something else?

No way the Amer binding is gonna affect the boys in Driggs unless only dentists are buyin CAST.

I checked on my bindings today. Also asked Cast about how the technical notice was impacting them. Very few bindings had to go back. My bindings like a lot of the ones they got through Sego were purchased from Look mid October. Almost all of those were from before the defect. Sounds like Look picked it up soon after they were going out to customers.
    By the way the new cast system is looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bump.

From the Look website here: https://noram.rossignol.com/US/US/ne...qbh.html#close

Safety Recall: 2017-2018 LOOK Pivot Ski Bindings
    Turntable heel bindings purchased after September 1st, 2017 with date codes of H7, I7 or J7, and without the letter "V" stamped on the black plastic piece behind the heel, can come loose and cause a skier to fall or crash.

To arrange for an inspection and possible free replacement, call LOOK Customer Service M-F between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm MT at 1-888-243-6722 or Email pleffler@rossignol.com Or visit www.look-bindings.com/

Post until August 16, 2018 In cooperation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission
    DM1\8428493.3