Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Hurricane Irma is Looking "Super" Gnarly

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Cat 4. Time for Irma to move out and get her own thread.
    Cat 5 now this morning with 175 MPH winds gusting to over 200 MPH! The Virgin Islands are fucked along with everything else in this storm's path.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Peak is coming hard this year

and the rare cross thread quote.
    watch out for snakes

RIP Florida...

Name:  11L_tracks_latest.png
Views: 1011
Size:  144.4 KB
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

So why the fuck would anyone, with this much notice, who has a capable vehicle, not load up the necessities and take a vacation right now? Just board up the house and skip the whole life threatening event. Don't really understand the whole riding out the storm thing.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    So why the fuck would anyone, with this much notice, who has a capable vehicle, not load up the necessities and take a vacation right now? Just board up the house and skip the whole life threatening event. Don't really understand the whole riding out the storm thing.
    You must've never lived in Florida.

The reason is because you get many potential hits like this every year. If you peace'd out for a week 4+ days ahead of potential landfall for every storm tracking towards ya, you'd quickly run out of time off every year. Companies aren't giving people free leave to evacuate w/o time off right now. You're lucky if you get 48hrs notice that the office will be closed.

People will be prepping now. But will wait another day or two for models to have more time before pulling the evac trigger.

Like in Texas, many poor people flock to these areas of the country...hard to bail out when you can barely cover rent.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

We've got a house we need to demo, on the beach in Venice.

However, there is the one down the street, we'd rather not see go...
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    RIP Florida...

Name:  11L_tracks_latest.png
Views: 1011
Size:  144.4 KB
    I was just going to post that. Yup FL is gonna get raked. When it pulls back offshore it will likely strengthen again and SC looks to have a rough go of it when it makes the next landfall. If it holds together as it gets steered out and off NC it may even get it together again and regain hurricane status as it moves up to LI or Cape Cod for another landfall.

Well, la dee dah. First, what you propose is expensive. Hotels and motels will gouge. Second, as mentioned, people have jobs and lives that just can't be ignored. Third, a long history of false alarms. But, you're right. The only way to save the cars is to move them to higher ground. Happens a lot in the Outer Banks. Houses are up on stilts, but many leave the island just to save the car, even in nor Easters.

CAT 5! Crazy shit! She's all grown up now.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    You must've never lived in Florida.

The reason is because you get many potential hits like this every year. If you peace'd out for a week 4+ days ahead of potential landfall for every storm tracking towards ya, you'd quickly run out of time off every year. Companies aren't giving people free leave to evacuate w/o time off right now. You're lucky if you get 48hrs notice that the office will be closed.

People will be prepping now. But will wait another day or two for models to have more time before pulling the evac trigger.
    Realistically, you don't have multiple hits every year that are as alarming as this one. My parents retired to coastal NC years ago and this is the only time I've encouraged them to be ready to leave town.

Currently pretty much a perfect hurricane structurally. Beautiful storm.

Looks like something is brewing in the SW Gulf Of Mexico as well. But it looks to move onshore before is becomes classified.

This is why you can always get a good deal in the tropics in September and October.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    This is why you can always get a good deal in the tropics in September and October.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app
    Just make sure to get storm insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Realistically, you don't have multiple hits every year that are as alarming as this one. My parents retired to coastal NC years ago and this is the only time I've encouraged them to be ready to leave town.
    Readying to leave town and evacuating for a week+ long vacation now is a bit different. If it hits Florida dead on around Sunday -- you're not returning home for at least 3 days after that. So 1.5, maybe 2 weeks. In a shit hotel in Georgia, SC, etc that are all charging max prices and are filled to the gills. It's no wonder most people wait til a day or two before the storm to avoid that. Even shittier if you've got pets you have to deal with.

You don't have these every year. But when I lived in Florida I remember multiple years when you were looking at 3-4 storms of Cat 2 or higher in a season. You prep, but unless you're retired or have a flexible job leaving a week early is a difficult thing to commit to.

There's a lot of middle ground between leaving 3 days before the storm hits, and staying because you've got a double shift scheduled at Pizza Hut and earning that $100 at the expense of your worldly possessions and a family member or two seems like a win-win. I get that it's tough for people to leave, but if your house is going to be washed away, what could you possibly have to do that would justify being inside it when it happens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Not good. I'm certainly not looking forward to the victim shaming of those who stay, and the social media lynch mobs for those who aren't "doing what they're supposed to". I hope the stories of normal people doing extraordinary things drowns out the bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Not good. I'm certainly not looking forward to the victim shaming of those who stay, and the social media lynch mobs for those who aren't "doing what they're supposed to". I hope the stories of normal people doing extraordinary things drowns out the bullshit.
    +100. Easy to armchair QB online -- esp in a ski forum where few people live in a zone that experiences hurricanes regularly. It'd be like a bunch of Floridians telling mags how to deal with heavy snowfall and possibility of avalanches.

Currently pretty much a perfect hurricane structurally. Beautiful storm.
    Kinda sounds insensitive at this point, but it really looks...perfect. Like fake.

Is it because it started so far out that it had time to wind up like this? Seems to be accelerating still and its already Cat5 (+?)

Yikes... brace up, lower right coast

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Kinda sounds insensitive at this point, but it really looks...perfect. Like fake.

Is it because it started so far out that it had time to wind up like this? Seems to be accelerating still and its already Cat5 (+?)
    Yeah, a combination of no land interference to disrupt inflow, no upper level sheer, the position of the STHP, and the central Atlantic water surface temps have led to this storm getting wound up perfectly. I'm hearing the winds are the highest ever recorded for an Atlantic storm outside the Caribbean and/or the GOM.

Wind map... Perfection
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IrmaWind.jpg 
Views:	1438 
Size:	551.8 KB 
ID:	211594

Yeah, a combination of no land interference to disrupt inflow, no upper level sheer, the position of the STHP, and the central Atlantic water surface temps have led to this storm getting wound up perfectly. I'm hearing the winds are the highest ever recorded for an Atlantic storm outside the Caribbean and/or the GOM.

Wind map... Perfection
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IrmaWind.jpg 
Views:	1438 
Size:	551.8 KB 
ID:	211594
    Starry Nights...destruction print!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Good gawd is this one scary. Irma, just take a hard right (let the ships get out of the way) then let the surfers up the east coast rejoice as she dwindles up the middle of the Atlantic for a fish only event.

The actual animated version (from which I grabbed the above screenshot) is very impressive.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#curren....29,16.73,3000

As I said in the other thread, in my opinion they should start moving the people in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, etc now. Ask anyone who can leave to leave. This hurricane is not at all like any previous scares or impact. Irma may bring 20' of surge to an area with almost no land that is higher than 10' above sea level. Its winds may soon exceed any measured Atlantic storms.