Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Yo boys, if you're gonna tell eagle stories, be specific about the species: Bald Eagle or Golden Eagle. Bald Eagles are far more abundant in the Western U.S. Golden Eagles are far more rare in the Western U.S. The two species are not closely related. For me, a Baldie sighting is ho hum, a near daily experience. But a Golden Eagle sighting is an event. I see hundreds of Baldies each year. I am lucky to see a half dozen Golden Eagles each year (and, as a birder, I'm always looking).

Kopi, chicken hawk? WTF? Those are mostly Red-tailed Hawks in your area. In winter the Rough-legged Hawks work down from the arctic and sub-arctic to our area. There are some other buteos in the area, the sum of which is greatly outnumbered by Red-tailed Hawks.

The most common falcon in the PNW is the American Kestrel, a small (robin-size) falcon which likes to eat grasshoppers and often perch on utility wires. Easy ID because of distinctive field marks on head. We have Prairie Falcons E of the crest. Merlins are spread throughout WA, although not always easy to ID. Peregrines are rare but making a comeback (e.g., Peregrine nests on Seattle skyscraper roofs).

Cooper's Hawk and Sharp-shinned Hawk are the most common PNW accipiter species. Accipter females are quite a bit larger than the males. The ability to distinguish a smaller (male) Coops from a larger (female) Sharpie requires experience and is one hallmark of a birder with chops. Northern Goshawks are in the PNW, mostly at or E of the Cascade Crest, not often seen and a true delight to see. In 2016 I made 5 Goshawk confident IDs, a record for me.
    Disclaimer: I am not a practitioner of ornithology or a birder (obviously).

We had quite a few red-tailed hawks around the farm back in Eastern WA but these "chicken" hawks look different from the ones back there. The ones back in WA had a bit more of a rust color on their upper breast and the ones in SD are more speckled and lighter in color.

When I moved out on to the SD I asked a friend what type of hawk was it that I saw all over the place. He told me it was a chicken hawk. I thought he was bullshitting me so I asked quite a few other people from the area and they all told me the same thing. So either I'm the recipient of an elaborate hoax or that's just the local jargon for the hawk. So if it is a red tailed hawk, I finally have the answer to my question six years after the fact. Thanks Steve.

Also back on the farm back in WA we had a couple of falcons that lived there for a few years. I assumed that they were prairie falcons after looking them up in the encyclopedia. They were really fun to watch.

My brother (who still lives in WA) has an American Kestrel that frequents his place. It's a cool little bird.

I've only seen two Golden Eagles. The last one I saw was in Northern Montana and that thing was huuuge.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Fog Horn Leg Horn beware of the chicken hawk!
    That's exactly what I thought of when they told me that's what the bird was called.

I think I remember reading that the Red-tailed hawk has some of the broadest color variations of North American birds.

Pretty sure that's the chickenhead
    I still call it The Jake.

A nice pair of boobies:

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Dromontana View Post
    indeed

"early bird get the worm - fuck that!"
    The sign he pans past at the end is classic.

I kind of lost respect for eagles after seeing them regularly feed on road kill along with ravens and magpies. Just doesn't have that same majestic vibe of the soaring eagle.

That said, I saw one of the early returning bald eagles to southern California back in the 70's. Pretty much wiped out down here by DDT and invasion of goldens. They have slowly been returning, both with help, and on their own. We now have them reestablished on the Channel Islands after removing the invasive golden. The golden eagles were feeding on feral piglets, then switched to foxes after the pigs were finally eradicated. Damn near lost the Channel Island fox to hem and distemper. The park service removed the fox and started a breeding program, started vaccinations and reestablished the bald eagle which are now nesting.

Just a side note, now all the foxes have autism.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

OK, snort.

Oh, and now I want to have one of my anti-redneck rants.
    He told me it was a chicken hawk. I thought he was bullshitting me so I asked quite a few other people from the area and they all told me the same thing.
    This is classic ignorant redneck explanation. The common theme with them is an utter lack of curiosity. When I see a hawk for example, I want to know what it is, learn something. Maybe it's a Buteo jamaicensis, maybe it's an Accipiter cooperii, I like to know.

One of the rednecks near me told me he saw a "water snake". Because it was a snake. In the water. (Never mind that there are only 4 species of snake in the Methow, and this was a very common Thamnophis sirtalis.)

So yes a redneck sees a hawk. A hawk once killed a chicken. They're chicken hawks.
    Last edited by plugboots; 07-12-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Best Bald Eagle viewing spot up here is the dump, thousands of the things, pretty much on the same level as shit hawks. I once watched a Golden Eagle kick the fuck out of a Bald Eagle at a dump in the Yukon fighting over a diaper or some shit. Gross.
    Birds are dumb.

Yeah, bald eagles are dumpster divers. Now if you bad ass, peregrine falcons are the bird.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    OK, snort.

So yes a redneck sees a hawk. A hawk once killed a chicken. They're chicken hawks.
    i blame it on Warner Bros Bugs Bunny cartoons

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yeah, bald eagles are dumpster divers. Now if you bad ass, peregrine falcons are the bird.
    Here on the EC, peregrines live on bridge supports on the NJ Turnpike in the Meadowlands and eat pigeons, while the bald eagles are more rare and soar majestically past the bucolic Bear Mtn Bridge as they hunt in the Hudson River for fish.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by kim jong un View Post
    Here on the EC, peregrines live on bridge supports on the NJ Turnpike in the Meadowlands and eat pigeons, while the bald eagles are more rare and soar majestically past the bucolic Bear Mtn Bridge as they hunt in the Hudson River for fish.
    Yup. See my post about finding a breeding pair of Peregrines back in page 1 or 2. Bad ass things.

Now, isn't there some stupid chickenfucker around here that can help you with your username?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromontana View Post
    Yeah that scene interplay with that sign reminded me of sub-narratives in The Wire. Activists trying to push change while guys on the street try to survive.
    Shoot that scene third-person with a better camera and you could definitely drop it straight into an episode of The Wire without skipping a beat.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Barred

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owl2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	555.1 KB 
ID:	209682A visitor from the other day.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owl2.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	549.4 KB 
ID:	209680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owl3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	864.1 KB 
ID:	209681  
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by kim jong un View Post
    A nice pair of boobies:

And some great tits...

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I kind of lost respect for eagles after seeing them regularly feed on road kill along with ravens and magpies. Just doesn't have that same majestic vibe of the soaring eagle.

That said, I saw one of the early returning bald eagles to southern California back in the 70's. Pretty much wiped out down here by DDT and invasion of goldens. They have slowly been returning, both with help, and on their own. We now have them reestablished on the Channel Islands after removing the invasive golden. The golden eagles were feeding on feral piglets, then switched to foxes after the pigs were finally eradicated. Damn near lost the Channel Island fox to hem and distemper. The park service removed the fox and started a breeding program, started vaccinations and reestablished the bald eagle which are now nesting.

Just a side note, now all the foxes have autism.
    I kinda thought the same think when we came across a bald eagle on a deer carcass on the road when driving to Crested Butte a cpl years ago.

It was winter so an easy meal in beak vs working for one in the bush?

We have this brain damaged bird attacking the windows. Sparrow or a ginch? Looked like it may have been a female going to nest in our bird house under the eves. Well, protective instincts kick in, and she (it) keeps attacking that bird in the window. Now there's feathers and bird spit all over the 4 windows on the back of the house! I took the bird house down yesterday, but this retarded bird won't stop!
    First I tried some blue painters tape, she attacked between the tape, then started pulling the tape off. Next I cover the window with cardboard, that's when she started going after the other windows...
    It's pellet gun time I'm afraid

bye bye birdie

Birds are dumb and annoying

Saw a crow stack some Pringles together to make a stack of three to fly away with. He stacked them in the same orientation as they come in the packaging.

Name:	imagejpeg_3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	365.1 KB 
ID:	492121

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

guys its been pretty well established that these fuckers are gubmint drones and not real animals.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    guys its been pretty well established that these fuckers are gubmint drones and not real animals.
    Easy there young core shooter.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Saw a crow stack some Pringles together to make a stack of three to fly away with. He stacked them in the same orientation as they come in the packaging.

Name:	imagejpeg_3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	365.1 KB 
ID:	492121

Ravens and Crows are my favorite birds