Hard to step into Griffins - any solution?

Did a search on Marker Griffons and there are lots of prior threads on various sites re: the fact that it can be hard to step into the Royal family of bindings. I personally have mounted skis with Salomons or Pivots, but bought a used pair that came mounted to my BSL with Griffons and would hate to remount. Any solutions? Don't run my DINs too high either, only about 8.5-9. Does lowering this a touch help? Didn't really mind until I had to take my skis off in deep snow on a steep to help my son get over some rocks safely, and then spent a miserable twenty minutes trying to get my skis back on (and then had a ski pop off due to a "mis-click").

Appreciate everyone's insights.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Get your boot in place, reach down and pull up the heel piece as you step down. It'll lever the boot heel down and in

Mine do a weird thing where the toe does not go into the center readily. I have to be very deliberate with it.
    Serious all the time.

ski tail into the snow at angle above both feet. Step over the uphill leg with the downhill foot and insert into binding, close binding by hand. Then repeat with the uphill ski. The crossover makes it easier to reach the heel lever to close it. This video shows it on the steep firm but it works in powder. In powder the ski may need to be more vertical and in deeper

STH. That's really the best solution.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    +1
    Every binding has its strengths and weaknesses. But the Salomon heel piece is definitely the easiest to re-enter after you eject in soft snow.

When I was cat ski guiding I spent way too much time at the top of every run watching people unsuccessfully trying to step into their bindings. Markers were always the most problematic, and on that basis alone I would never buy or recommend.

couldn't hurt to double check for correct forward pressure too

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    couldn't hurt to double check for correct forward pressure too
    Correct forward pressure is what makes them hard to step in to in the first place; properly adjusted Marker Royal Series bindings have way more of it than other brands. Learn to deal with it (make sure all the snow is off your soles and pull up on the heel unit if necessary) or switch bindings.

I find that I can stomp in to my Duke's incorrectly, such that my toe is actually not flush with the afd and is a bit skewed. I've only had it happen when I'm on uneven hardpack at the top of a bootpack, otherwise the stick the ski in to the snow method works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    I find that I can stomp in to my Duke's incorrectly, such that my toe is actually not flush with the afd and is a bit skewed. I've only had it happen when I'm on uneven hardpack at the top of a bootpack, otherwise the stick the ski in to the snow method works perfectly.
    Same. Ever since, I don't trust them.

To expand if you're trying to step in to a downhill ski that's slightly uneven you're able to step in crocked, it doesn't typically happen on the uphill ski because you can line up your leg properly. You need to make sure the ski is even which really can be a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    This.

I don't use Marker bindings anymore (except kingpins) because they're a pain in the ass to step into. Not a big deal outside the lodge at a resort, but after hiking some ridge line and you're trying to step-in in an awkward situation or in soft snow it's a real pain in the ass. STH's click in like butter.

Great vid find, OG. The cross over is a great idea I've never seen before.

This...
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Correct forward pressure is what makes them hard to step in to in the first place; properly adjusted Marker Royal Series bindings have way more of it than other brands. Learn to deal with it (make sure all the snow is off your soles and pull up on the heel unit if necessary) or switch bindings.
    And quoting this twice.
    If you boot isn't going in straight, or you are not getting full engagement, chances are very good that you have snow packed in that is not allowing the binding to properly engage the boot. If this happens, you cannot count on the binding to function properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    (make sure all the snow is off your soles and pull up on the heel unit if necessary)

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    This...

And quoting this twice.
    If you boot isn't going in straight, or you are not getting full engagement, chances are very good that you have snow packed in that is not allowing the binding to properly engage the boot. If this happens, you cannot count on the binding to function properly.
    Speaking of which--the snow doesn't seem to stick to the Tecnica Mach 1's I got at the beginning of the season. We've had every kind of snow known to man this season, and a few kinds never seen before. Not a reason to buy or not buy a boot but a pleasant side benefit.

Reading this thread, why anyone skis anything other than Sollys is beyond me. Probably a reason they have for the most part been unchanged for decades. 4life.

Thanks to all the advice. I'll try the crossover step in method and appreciate the video. I had the bindings checked at a shop and everything worked out, so don't think it's the forward pressure. Also had to take my set of keys to get the wedged snow out from under the toe piece when I finally did make it down to flat ground. What a design.....

Agree with the Solly comment - I've never mounted my own skis with anything but STHs or Pivots, but the aforementioned skis were purchased used off this forum and came mounted to my BSL so left on the Griffins to avoid a re-drill. For better or worse not traveling out west anytime soon because of very young children, but I already bought a pair of STHs with the appropriate brake width that were on sale this week and have a feeling that after one day in the deep snow of Utah or Colorado I'll no longer care about putting in a new set of holes.

Thanks again, everyone. Any Gimp Central issues, don't hesitate to let me return the favor.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Another downside of Markers--the heel tower traps snow, which matters if you transport your skis inside the car.

Sack-up you frickin' pussies!
    Clean the damn snow off of your boots before stepping in! Yes... sometimes, stepping into your bindings is "hard" when you aren't on totally flat/hard snow just steps from the lodge at the base of a ski lift.
    What a bunch of cupcakes!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    Sack-up you frickin' pussies!
    Clean the damn snow off of your boots before stepping in! Yes... sometimes, stepping into your bindings is "hard" when you aren't on totally flat/hard snow just steps from the lodge at the base of a ski lift.
    What a bunch of cupcakes!
    Clearly you've never tried to step into Griffons in deep pow. Either because you don't use Griffons (I don't), you only ski groomers, or you ski so slowly that you never release. Or you're a snowboarder.

Anyway I'm pretty sure orthoski did "sack up" and manage to get his skis back on--either that or he's been stuck on a run somewhere for the last 4 days and someone needs to go look for him. By now I'm sure his phone is dead.
    Last edited by old goat; 04-03-2017 at 02:34 PM.

If you think the Griffin etc are hard try being -100 lbs and stepping into a Squire. My wife and kids fuckin hated them. Everyone is now happily skiing on SPXs or Pivots.
    Even more fun than the retail Griffin is the new demo version where the bsl marks aren't really accurate for your actual bsl making entry even more problematic.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

With Demo Griffins once you've adjusted the binding to BSL you have to insert the boot and make sure the end of the heel position adjustment screw is flush with the back of the heel housing--just like you would for the non-demo binding. You may have to move the heel back or forward to get the correct forward pressure, regardless of what the BSL indicator tells you.