Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What is a fatter QLab, Bibby Pro w/ less tail rocker, or Atomic Atlas w/ tail rocker?

Have the midget (18x) version of the QLab (mounted back a bunch) that is 105ish underfoot and tried the 184 (I think?) Blister Pro this past weekend. I think I want those 2 skis to make love and come out with a compromise. Or have my Atomic Atlas get just a bit of tail rocker to loosen it up a bit to be able slarve around in deep snow in the woods ala the Bibby. Bibby just didn't feel like I could stand on the tip like I can the Qlab or Atlas and was just a bit too playful.

I'm 5'9 160, so something in the mid 180's realm works well for me typically. Ski Mammoth 90% of the time with occasional forays to St. Anton, Tahoe, or Utah occasionally in the cards.

ala 115mm underfoot, a bit more rocker, tip and tail, than the Qlab, but definitely a bit less tail rocker/twin tip than the Blister Pro. Like damp, smooth skis (think old skool Legend Pro, Head Monster 98, Stormriders). Don't do flippy spiny sh*t so just a turned up tail and some subtle tail rocker to loosen them up from my current pow ski the Atomic Atlas is the goal.

Suggestions? Haven't demo'd pow skis in a while as I have loved the Atomic Atlas, but gotta say the Qlab and Bibby have opened my eyes to a bit of tail rocker for deep snow.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Praxis RX... or Quixote
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

My custom Praxis Rx 189s... Maple/Ash core, #5 stifness

New, shipped to your door for $385

The new Dynastar Richard Permin pro model coming out next year might fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    My custom Praxis Rx 189s... Maple/Ash core, #5 stifness

New, shipped to your door for $385
    Tell me more. Why selling? What aspects are custom? Got any pic's including rocker? They don't have tail rocker do they? Feel free to PM.

I really don't think of the Q Lab as having tail rocker. The tail is pretty flat with several centimeters of subtle rise. The shape is much like my Invictus 108 with a smaller turn radius, the Invictus is straighter. I didn't think the Q Lab, 190 length, was particularly slarvy, but it is very carvy. The tip on the Q Lab is pretty soft too IMO. How about the Armada Norwalk?

You may like the Head A-Star.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/head-...-187-front.jpg

I've been on the 191cm head boneshaker for years as my pow ski, very similar camber profile - some camber underfoot, with just a hint of tip and tail rocker. Makes them very stable at speed but never hooky. They float based on their mount point, which I have set a bit back.

Here's the A-Star:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizerender.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	203515

I may end up picking up a pair myself.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 03-29-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I really don't think of the Q Lab as having tail rocker. The tail is pretty flat with several centimeters of subtle rise. The shape is much like my Invictus 108 with a smaller turn radius, the Invictus is straighter. I didn't think the Q Lab, 190 length, was particularly slarvy, but it is very carvy. The tip on the Q Lab is pretty soft too IMO. How about the Armada Norwalk?
    Q Lab has real subtle rise, correct, but its still more than the Atlas that is completely cambered and a flat tail. The midget Q is the slarviest thing I own. I recognize its not slarvy compared to a true rockered ski, but the tail does release easier than most things I have been on.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post

I've been on the 191cm head boneshaker for years as my pow ski, very similar camber profile - some camber underfoot, with just a hint of tip and tail rocker. Makes them very stable at speed but never hooky. They float based on their mount point, which I have set a bit back.

Here's the A-Star:

What's the difference between the boneshaker and A-Star?

I like the look of that rocker pic. That is more or less what I'm looking for. Maybe a bit more tip rocker so it doesn't dive on our deeep heavy days in the Sierra, but right idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    The new Dynastar Richard Permin pro model coming out next year might fit the bill.
    This, or a billy goat, or my 188 movement superturbos (not much tail though)

Head Kore 117?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post

I like the look of that rocker pic. That is more or less what I'm looking for. Maybe a bit more tip rocker so it doesn't dive on our deeep heavy days in the Sierra, but right idea.
    If you like that rocker, take a look at the Invictus 108 or Kufo 108. My Invictus can be fairly loose but a still quite chargy, not as carvy as the Q Lab. The Kufo shares the mold with the Invictus but has no metal and a slight softer layup.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    If you like that rocker, take a look at the Invictus 108 or Kufo 108. My Invictus can be fairly loose but a still quite chargy, not as carvy as the Q Lab. The Kufo shares the mold with the Invictus but has no metal and a slight softer layup.
    Need fatter. When it snows in the Sierra it snows! 115m has been my favorite width for pow. With my Q Lab in the 105mm slot, need something fatter for true pow

The A-Star is 118mm waist vs. 125mm, has more fore-aft taper, has a complex sidecut with tapered tips and tail, slightly shorter radius, and a flat tail vs. the boneshaker's twin. Important to note that the Boneshaker's sidecut goes to the end of the tip, and it has a tapered tail, whereas the A-Star has the tapered tip and tail. The boneshaker feels like my old 183cm Axiom's mounted on the factory line (really far back), due to the tail taper.

They are both heavy skis at about 12lb per pair.

It seems that the boneshaker has virtually identical camber to the A-Star, refer to the vid below. I'm sure it uses the same stout wood core, no metal construction as their other 191cm skis in the old motorhead lineup - I've got both the 191 Boneshaker and 191 Inferno 104, they are both beasts but easy to control for their size.

The Turbine 125 is a different camber profile with much more rocker, more of civilian's powder ski, not a comp ski:

Name:	head-turbine-125-2015.png 
Views:	248 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	203517
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 03-29-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Head Kore 117?
    Head's 17/18 line looks like wussy garbage. Yikes.

If this looks of interest, look at the Cyclic. Similar but 115, a little softer (especially tail) if the A-Star is too stiff. Just watch the mount point.

Here's the A-Star:

What is a fatter QLab, Bibby Pro w/ less tail rocker, or Atomic Atlas w/ tail rocker?

New Enforcer 110? Helldorado? Volkl Confession? Gunsmokes? OG Squad 7?

ON3P Billy Goat is that ski for me. I know what you mean about the Bibby Pro. Great ski just not damp enough.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    New Enforcer 110? Helldorado? Volkl Confession? Gunsmokes? OG Squad 7?

ON3P Billy Goat is that ski for me. I know what you mean about the Bibby Pro. Great ski just not damp enough.
    Which year BG you on? Is the tail rocker / twin tip a bit mellower on BG than Bibby?

Which year BG you on? Is the tail rocker / twin tip a bit mellower on BG than Bibby?
    I'm on the 186 13-14. Rocker is a little mellower but not by a ton. They are close to flat camber, too. A Billy Goat doesn't stand out by the specs, but skis like nothing else in terms of balance between stability, float, and quickness. Not awesome on groomers, which is its only weakness.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I'm on the 186 13-14. Rocker is a little mellower but not by a ton. They are close to flat camber, too. A Billy Goat doesn't stand out by the specs, but skis like nothing else in terms of balance between stability, float, and quickness. Not awesome on groomers, which is its only weakness.
    The 16/17 BG is acceptable on groomers, even on frozen hardpack groomers. The 17/18 are supposed to be even better due to a change in the progression between the straight sections in the sidecut.

I thought of the A-Star as well when I read your post. I put up a review of mine a few weeks ago, if you search.

They're supportive while still being somewhat newschool and not overly demanding. To me, they're a winner, especially at the price you can find them at online.

A Bibby Pro with less tail rocker is the Moment Governor. 116mm underfoot and 186cm.

them new rustler 11s ?

Head's 17/18 line looks like wussy garbage. Yikes.
    I've been reading too much Blister, but:

Flex Pattern
    Handflexing the ski, I’d sum it up like this:
    Tips: 7-8
    Shovels: 9-10
    Underfoot: 10
    Behind the Heel piece: 10-9
    Tails: 9-8
    Yep, this ski has a very stout flex. I actually hadn’t hand flexed the ski before I got it on snow the past three days (more on this in a bit), and I can’t say that in three days that I found the ski to feel like it was super stiff.
    But fact is, the KORE 117 flexes stiffer than every other ski that I’m going to refer to in this review, and in my upcoming Deep Dive Comparisons piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    I've been reading too much Blister, but:
    I skied the Kore 105 in 189 and they certainly didn't feel stiff. The forward mount and soft feeling shovels made me feel like I was "going over the bars" in chunky crud. They aren't skis for skiing fast and hard in variable snow. Great feel in smooth consistent snow. Kore series seems like they'd all be great touring skis. I have a feeling that their mass contributes to their tendency to wander and get bucked in funky snow because they have that smooth damp Head feel on smooth soft groomers or shallow consistent snow.