WTB Bike Travel Bag

I know this is a long shot, but figured I'd try. Otherwise, I'll just use my 20% deal at REI and buy a new one.

Specifically looking for a:
    Dakine Bike Bag
    Evoc Bike Travel Bag
    Biknd Jetpack

I need a soft sided bag that'll hold a long wheel base, long travel 27.5" bike.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Well, that's kinda what I figured.

As long as I'm playing to crickets; now it's between $400 +/- for the Evoc industry standard bag or the oh-so-tempting ChainReactionCycles Evoc-KnockOff for $200.

Any thoughts from traveling mags?

I guess nobody knows anything about travel bags.

I don't like the idea of soft bags but I guess if you have to... That CRC bag doesn't look terrible but the EVOC looks more solid. If you're feeling rich this one from Douchebags looks nice too https://douchebags.com/bike-bag-trail
    Last edited by gravitylover; 03-29-2017 at 07:29 AM.

I've got a price point brand (Sette) soft side bag that I've used a few times. It's not a great design, and it is heavy with useless wheels but for a cheap bag it has worked ok - bikes arrived safely, which is all I care about. The sette bag sags down in the middle so even though it has wheels on each end the middle drags so I have to lift it to pull it, but it doesn't have a well placed handle for that.

A more expensive case may be lighter, more compact, and have wheels that actually roll properly which would be nice. But I'm not sure it will provide better protection. Baggage handlers are still going to throw them around and pile other bags on top, and it's that abuse and compression which I expect would cause damage.

I saw an article recently that suggested always using a cardboard bike box, because they are free and disposable, and baggage handlers won't be as rough with them or stack stuff on top of them like they will with bike cases. I've never tried this but sounds interesting. The hassle could be finding a bike box at your destination. Though if renting a car, you can collapse the box and lay it flat to protect the car.

gravitylover: my first Italy trip was with one hard case and one soft case. The hard case was a nightmare to pack, and even harder for TSA. They left it partially open both ways!

Evdog: with mountain bikes, I figure they're durable enough to handle the trail. For me it's mostly about the durability and usability of the bag itself.

I'd be interested in reading that article showing cardboard box preference if you've got a link. I'm a bit skeptical though, since in the states it's all about how easily the TSA can look inside and close it back up.

Can't find the link, sorry. If I see it I'll post up. Ease of TSA inspection wasn't a consideration I recall in the article, just that baggage handlers will take it easier on a cardboard box than a soft or hard shell case.

Found it again! Try to ignore the smug hipster vibe....

http://theradavist.com/2013/07/notes...ith-a-bicycle/