Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Way to go Utah

Hypocrite much?
    http://via.fox13now.com/i5Mvj

Gov Hebert says he wants to lower DWI levels to .05 for "public safety", then Signs bill that REPEALS MANDATORY VEHICLE SAFETY INSPECTIONS.

You can't make this shit up. Welcome to Utah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Again. Which fills the state coffers (and interested lobbying parties') more fully?

More DUIs, or more vehicle inspections?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Turns out that drivers quickly learned they had to stop regardless of their location in the intersection resulting in MORE accidents than before the cameras were installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Again. Which fills the state coffers (and interested lobbying parties') more fully?

More DUIs, or more vehicle inspections?
    Life is a sham. I often wonder who at the local level actually supports these kinds of things?
    Last edited by ghosthop; 03-28-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Life is a sham. I often wonder who at the local level actually supports these kinds of things?
    Again, referencing the class action suit I followed up in Ohio re: red light camera systemic abuse and graft; all you had to do there was look at who was pocketing money. The number of people who were, top to bottom, was insane. Of course the city managers took massive bonuses from their incresed revenue targets hit in the big cities like Cleveland Columbus and Cincinnati, but even the small towns were in on the gig. One tiny burg in fuck-alls-ville had a mother and daughter see so much cold hard cash coming in from the red light cameras to their puny mayor's court register they decided it was best to divert some of it, or $500,000 of it, into their pockets.

Public safety my ass.
    I still call it The Jake.

I was browsing around for a chart on the percentages each state uses for dwai and didn't find one, just the increased penalties for being over .15 etc.

While looking for that, I saw a blip about commercial drivers having privileges revoked at only .04, as a national/federal law. Not sure if legit but thought I'd toss it out there PSA stylee.

Is all of usa on .08 other than Utah? How many are .05 for dwai?

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Hypocrite much?
    http://via.fox13now.com/i5Mvj

Gov Hebert says he wants to lower DWI levels to .05 for "public safety", then Signs bill that REPEALS MANDATORY VEHICLE SAFETY INSPECTIONS.

You can't make this shit up. Welcome to Utah.
    Yup, its all bullshit. Herbert is an idiot. With that being said, I'm glad to see vehicle inspections gone since they are a joke anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Oh, i know..... its Not a "pull overable" offense. Its Only in addition to another moving violation . ...as far as I can tell it's completely toothless law and an ineffective deterrent, unless you're speeding and running red lights
    I just assumed running red lights was a time-honored part of UT driving tradition. In the 3+ years I've lived here I've never imagined the average person could be this bad a driver. If they really wanted to make the roads safer they'd revoke everyone's UT driver's license and make us all reapply with a strict road test administered by non-mor(m)ons.

As far as 0.05 goes, it's unfortunate that they're doing it for dumbass religious reasons, otherwise I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. We take driving pretty casually as a society for a thing that preventably kills 30k people a year due to cruising around in a huge metal box while swiping tinder at 80mph. But I guess we don't care about that because of muh freedums or something.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Chicago installed red light cameras to "reduce traffic" accidents, wink wink. Collected $500 million in fines, the dirt is in the detail. Company that provided the cameras, Redflex, bribed the City Procurement Mgr., City employee went to jail for 10 years, two Redflex Exec's also went to jail. The rest of the story is:

City shortened the yellow light length at intersections with cameras so that it was nearly impossible to get through the intersection when the light turned yellow.

City sent tickets requiring a response in fewer days that what the City ordinance required.

Judges starting throwing out most red light camera violations due to above.

Turns out that drivers quickly learned they had to stop regardless of their location in the intersection resulting in MORE accidents than before the cameras were installed.

To top if off last month the City re-approved Redlex as a qualified bidder, its the "Chicago Way"
    All chicago politicians are basically the gang from that always sunny where they run for comptroller just to solicit a bribe.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    ^^^Very true. However, you forgot to mention the right lane jihadists, who are the absolute worst. Riding in the left lane, and passing in the right lane should warrant a careless driving ticket
    Moving out here from the east it stunned me how many people pass on the right here. It's a function of having too many lanes on the highway so nobody learns the damn rules. If you pass on the right on I95 (NY, NH, ME, etc) and a cop sees you, you are instantly pulled over.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum
    fines don't mean shit without enforcement

This is the fuckin truth. Maybe you get nailed for speeding on route 6 around Price or Moab. Maybe the canyons PD pulls you over if you have rental tags, or look like a dangerous minority or something. I can't fathom what you have to do to actually get pulled over in SLC. I guess if you went all Westminster sidewalk up in the temple maybe they might give a fuck?

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    I just assumed running red lights was a time-honored part of UT driving tradition. In the 3+ years I've lived here I've never imagined the average person could be this bad a driver. If they really wanted to make the roads safer they'd revoke everyone's UT driver's license and make us all reapply with a strict road test administered by non-mor(m)ons.

As far as 0.05 goes, it's unfortunate that they're doing it for dumbass religious reasons, otherwise I probably wouldn't have a problem with it. We take driving pretty casually as a society for a thing that preventably kills 30k people a year due to cruising around in a huge metal box while swiping tinder at 80mph. But I guess we don't care about that because of muh freedums or something.
    Going through stale yellow lights is not just a UT thing. It's bad in WI and no different in Illinois where right light cameras are not installed. Even in Chgo drivers know where the right light cameras are and drive accordingly.

I would love to see statistics on how many "defective" cars are removed from the road by vehicle inspections. Having lived in a state where it was required I found it pretty pathetic, always felt it was just about generating revenue. Everybody knew a guy who would pass just about any vehicle.

By poor buddy Just had to spend $2500 after failing inspection. He went to burt brothers in PC tho, rookie move; They're all about raking you over the coals there. You Gotta go to PC towing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Ticketing right lane passers is BS. I think it's too nuanced for that. Impatient fucks that don't have the spatial awareness to realize the line of cars in the left lane is gradually passing, they can get fucked. But, the assholes that set the cruise and fall asleep in the left lane can get more fucked.

I26 from I95 to Charleston, SC is an unbroken line of Midwestern drivers camped out in the left lane. You can comfortably sit in the right lane and pass people for miles. Ticketing right lane passers there would be criminal.

What were we talking about?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

.agreed with PC towing. When we first moved here went to Burt Bros, 3k later in bullshit "safety" violations....really, just made up.

I feel bad for PC towing though, huge loss in revenue. When the back up line gets on my plow truck didn't work I got a pass on the promise of replacing the switch (it goes up and down my driveway for gods sake). Totally reasonable. And the next year the guys says to me, thanks for fixing the back up lights.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Ticketing right lane passers is BS. I think it's too nuanced for that. Impatient fucks that don't have the spatial awareness to realize the line of cars in the left lane is gradually passing, they can get fucked. But, the assholes that set the cruise and fall asleep in the left lane can get more fucked.

I26 from I95 to Charleston, SC is an unbroken line of Midwestern drivers camped out in the left lane. You can comfortably sit in the right lane and pass people for miles. Ticketing right lane passers there would be criminal.

What were we talking about?
    the fact that you feel the need to do this in south carolina does not mean that passing on the right is good. this is the american driving attitude in a nutshell though: "I do this, so it's good, and everyone else sucks"

make everyone pass on the left -> everyone starts caring about those idiots driving slow in the left and beeping/flashing lights/etc -> they move the fuck over. you don't see too many hayseed hillwilliams cruising 50mph on the left lane north of NJ, because they are informed in no uncertain terms that their behavior is unacceptable.

the fact that you feel the need to do this in south carolina does not mean that passing on the right is good. this is the american driving attitude in a nutshell though: "I do this, so it's good, and everyone else sucks"

make everyone pass on the left -> everyone starts caring about those idiots driving slow in the left and beeping/flashing lights/etc -> they move the fuck over. you don't see too many hayseed hillwilliams cruising 50mph on the left lane north of NJ, because they are informed in no uncertain terms that their behavior is unacceptable.
    Wait, where is Hayseed Hillwilliams from?

North of NJ is more clear. Hate to break it to you, but half the cars on I26 have NJ and NY tags. Hell, half the cars on highways south of the Mason Dixon during the summer are from NJ and NY. Next time I'm passing them on the right, I'll get a count for you. They're typically the ones that do everything but get out of the way when you beep and flash. They do get angry and flip the bird and make threats. Maybe you can inform them that their behavior is unacceptable.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Good job Utah. Anyone who fucks up and needs a breath test after an accident or whatever deserves it. Booze is lame and it does kill...
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    When the back up lights on my plow truck didn't work I got a pass on the promise of replacing the switch (it goes up and down my driveway for gods sake). Totally reasonable. And the next year the guys says to me, thanks for fixing the back up lights.
    Good thing, considering back up lights have never been a fail for being inoperative.

Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    Any doctors want to comment on this? Anything that comes out of Herbert's mouth is suspect.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...a3cmsmscbx1or&

Moving out here from the east it stunned me how many people pass on the right here. It's a function of having too many lanes on the highway so nobody learns the damn rules. If you pass on the right on I95 (NY, NH, ME, etc) and a cop sees you, you are instantly pulled over.

I've been hearing this for years, but I've never seen anything written. A quick google says if there are two paved lanes of travel in the same direction, it is legal.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.115

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I've been hearing this for years, but I've never seen anything written. A quick google says if there are two paved lanes of travel in the same direction, it is legal.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.115
    Beats me actually haha. I have been stopped (but not ticketed) for passing on the right on a 2-lane divided highway but that was in NY and it was probably 10 years ago.

I guess the larger point beyond "don't pass on the right" is that driving, to the extent it works as a transportation system for lots of people in busy areas, is a fundamentally social/cooperative activity and we live in a largely individualistic/self-interested society both culturally and politically. Arguing you should do whatever you need to because other people are bad drivers is just an insane attitude imo, when clearly there is a massive collective interest in everyone obeying the same set of traffic rule the vast majority of the time.

This is obviously more true in more congested areas... if you live in rural Montana and encounter 2-3 other cars on the road in a day, maybe things like vehicle inspections are entirely unnecessary since your car will likely never materially endanger anyone else besides you. If you commute on a busy highway for 30 mins each way on weekdays, the consequences of someone's wheel flying off at 60mph+ are severe for many, many people, and there's a collective benefit to ensuring minimum safety standards. (Not saying all areas have sensible inspection policies - many are effectively just a tax, but again advocating completely eliminating safety measures because they are inefficient is a terrifically American and imo terrifically shortsighted argument to make)

To make a somewhat on-topic point: maybe the consequences for DUI should be higher in more congested areas as well.

I guess the larger point
    No, the point is you (and others) are saying it's illegal.
    It might be, but I haven't found it yet.

I'm never wrong, so clearly you just haven't looked carefully enough

https://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/chapter-6-passing#pas-rig even in ny it seems.

I'm gonna just double down and say these people should be ticketed anyway though

UTAH:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 11.50.56 AM.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	678.5 KB 
ID:	203405
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 11.51.30 AM.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	203406
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix