Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Way to go Utah

Way to go Utah

Strictest BAC limit in the country signed into law.

http://jalopnik.com/utah-now-has-the...-th-1793613099

Drunk driving is stupid and easily avoidable, no question.

But this and the neo-prohibitionists at MADD (founder of MADD's words, not mine re:current leadership there) are fucking ridiculous.

Keep up that rep Utah
    I still call it The Jake.

I found this about MADD and neo-prohibitionism. They're nuts.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...rage-institute

0.05 is the limit in CO, but its a DWAI and becomes a DUI at 0.08
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

0.05 is the new 0.08, bet we see it in other states. FWIW I checked Wikipedia and a whole bunch of countries are at less than 0.05 and few are over that. How about this, in Britain it is a criminal offense to be "drunk in charge of a motor vehicle". The definition depends on such things as being in or near the vehicle. I guess you can't sleep it off in the backseat. Australia can set up check points or pull a single driver over and administer breath test to anyone they want at anytime without a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    0.05 is the new 0.08, bet we see it in other states. FWIW I checked Wikipedia and a whole bunch of countries are at less than 0.05 and few are over that. How about this, in Britain it is a criminal offense to be "drunk in charge of a motor vehicle". The definition depends on such things as being in or near the vehicle. I guess you can't sleep it off in the backseat. Australia can set up check points or pull a single driver over and administer breath test to anyone they want at anytime without a reason.
    True. I was stopped at a checkpoint in Oz in my rental. Was driving two girls I met back to our hostel Thankfully I passed with flying colors after having one drink. .04

In euroland last year we stayed at this country inn place in Austria, in the morning the restaurant parking lot was still jammed. As the day went on taxis showed up and the lot emptied. Nobody had driven home the night before.

I say the Uber/taxi /lyft people are behind all this shit.

Always make sure all of your taillights work, keep your registration up, and don't put stupid stickers on your car. I'm quite confident I can pilot an auto at .05 without flipping it on it's back.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I say the Uber/taxi /lyft people are behind all this shit.
    Maybe Elon Musk, too. Autonomous drunk driving.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    I found this about MADD and neo-prohibitionism. They're nuts.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...rage-institute
    not that I disagree, but the author is the head of the beer wine and liqour lobby
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

It's hard for me to see past the revenue enhancement component of arbitrarily lowering bac test limits. Anyone with any exposure to the criminal justice system or spends a day on jury duty can see what a racket the DUI industry is - for everyone involved - except the offender of course.

Without doing so much as a google search, has there been any identifiable difference/benefit to the .05 limit or is it still too early to tell (yes, I see the Utah law goes into effect right before NYE 2018)? Why not make it .025?

If the article is correct in that a 150lb man who has two beers with dinner is over the limit then I find that absurd. Again, I think drunk driving is easily avoidable and stupid, and not an issue for most people; but when you start slapping responsible people with a DUI that can easily cost $10,000 in fines/fees/lost wages as well as loss of license, and in many cases, loss of their job, just because they happened to drive through a checkpoint after having two beers, or a glass and a half of wine at dinner, then it's no longer about protecting people.

It's a cash grab.
    I still call it The Jake.

It's literally a tax.

Let your local establishments know why you can't frequent them any more and hope they'll bitch to the right people, that's about the only practical course that's open.

Mormons aren't going to care that a bunch of heathens can no longer have a Couple beers with dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

It's literally a tax.

Let your local establishments know why you can't frequent them any more and hope they'll bitch to the right people, that's about the only practical course that's open.
    No, no and no. The local establishments have always been on 'our' side. We all are battling the chosen idiots who have no idea what responsible drinking is all about.

And it's not a significant tax is my guess, it's about doing right with the Church. I don't see a significant uptick of drunk drivers, if you are .05 you are not making a scene and being pulled over. That said, getting a DUI in Utah, I think, is more expensive than most places.

It's literally a tax.

Unfortunately our esteemed elected officials could care less about listening to the economic voices of reason. The tourism industry, the restaurant associations all battled. The only group that matters in Utah is the mormon church.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Hopefully a .05 isn't the same statuteor punishment as .08. I drive for a living and A dwi would make me unhirable for the job
    get paid

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABI_Utah_Probation_10x19.53_USAToday_final.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	676.5 KB 
ID:	203172

Ok, with this in USA today recently, we just need sabotage Canyon Transportation and their ilk and (relatively) uncrowded powder days are back for locals again!!!!!

Go to Colorado, peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    No, no and no.
    What exactly are you so sure you're against?

I'm just saying that no way UT legislators will listen to individuals opposed to this shit, but they might possibly maybe listen to business owners who are negatively affected.

What's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I drive for a living

New shit has come to light.

Right? I'm sure ya'll thought I was a doctor, lawyer, or pro skier...

Driving right now, while Texting.... Not illegal in Utah. That's how much they really care about "making our highways safer"
    get paid

What exactly are you so sure you're against?

I'm just saying that no way UT legislators will listen to individuals opposed to this shit, but they might possibly maybe listen to business owners who are negatively affected.

What's your plan?
    I'm saying the business owners have always been tearing out their hair with every ridiculous state proposal limiting alcohol. The legislatures are not listening to biz owners, they are listening to the church. In a normal state, absolutely they are listening to biz owners! i see where you are coming from. But here, Mormons are not listening to people who drink in any way.

As for my plan, it's to eventually move the fuck out of here. Not much help, I know.

Mormons aren't going to care that a bunch of heathens can no longer have a Couple beers with dinner.
    How about the Mormons in the ski and tourist industry?

All three of them?
    get paid

Driving right now, while Texting.... Not illegal in Utah. That's how much they really care about "making our highways safer"
    ^^ ding ding ding. probably don't drive nearly as much as you but on 15 every day and see all kinds of peeps paying half of their attention to their phones in comparison to the road. a much bigger problem imo

It's been 0.05 in BC for quite a few years, there's research that drunk driving deaths are down since... seems like a positive. Although here 0.05 isn't criminal DUI, impound, fine etc. 5k and a few months driving ban. So when you yanks head to Whistler, avoid the après ski beers and stick to the coke.

Seems like it would be easy enough to determine what % lead to impairment. Make that the number...? Would that make too much sense? Would it be too much fun for test subjects to drink, blow and drive an obstacle course?