Suggestions Needed: Early June backcountry trip with 13 year old

I am planning on taking my 13 year old on a camping/backcountry ski trip in early June and am looking for suggestions. As he is 13 and is more in to the down than the up, we are looking for places with easy road access where we can hitch before/after a run, possibly a ski area for a few days, easy access touring with minimal approach, etc.

To give you a sense of what I'm looking for, if we stay in Colorado, we are thinking about the following itinerary:
    Day 1 - Mt Evans
    Day 2 - Loveland Pass & A-Basin
    Day 3 - Quandry or another relatively easy tour
    Day 4-6 - Independence Pass

Given the snow in California, I'm considering Mammoth and the Eastern Sierra bc, but haven't skied there.

Please let me know your suggestions, possible locations, itineraries, and thoughts.

Thanks

There is virtually no hitch hike skiing in Mammoth. There is some great touring, and camping, but few places you can easily drive up, ski down and hitch back up.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I do not have much to offer. Just want to give some encouragement nothing better than backcountry skiing with your kids. I like the California idea and am hoping to put something together with my son this season there, although I doubt he really wants to ski with me. Did a Sierra trip with my sons awhile back. the youngest one was 14.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	California Trip 09 10 287.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	203120
    I guess he was also taking the photos
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	California Trip 09 10 333.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	421.2 KB 
ID:	203121
    however I do not know of any hitch hike skiing. 13 maybe a little young especially if you find yourselves on some corn that doesn't soften.
    Your Colorado idea looks good and I think it would be an awesome time skiing a 14er with your son. Make it happen post a TR.
    off your knees Louie

Suggestions Needed: Early June backcountry trip with 13 year old

Independence Pass is perfect, but it's been really warm already this year. I'd come as close to Memorial Day as possible.
    Bring kayaks or SUPs, so you can ski really early and float Stillwater in the afternoon.
    You can stash the boats and easily hitch back to your car.

Difficult Campground is a relatively easy bike ride from town.

I was going to say Indy Pass or Beartooth Pass in Montana (plus there are a few rope tows at beartooth basin that sometimes open during the summer). Skiing then hitching is perfect for the young-un. Indy pass has a lot to offer besides skiing too. Like ski in the morning and go cliff jumping in the afternoon...

I think your colorado itinerary looks good. Just don't over do it, most 13 year olds don't have the stamina/persistence as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I do not have much to offer. Just want to give some encouragement nothing better than backcountry skiing with your kids. I like the California idea and am hoping to put something together with my son this season there, although I doubt he really wants to ski with me. Did a Sierra trip with my sons awhile back. the youngest one was 14.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	California Trip 09 10 287.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	203120
    I guess he was also taking the photos
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	California Trip 09 10 333.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	421.2 KB 
ID:	203121
    Rad!

Tioga and Sonora areas would be ideal for that time. Although there's a small chance the roads won't be open.

Mammoth and Tioga/Sonora are your best bet in CA. Maybe Lassen if you don't need a chairlift. There's some fun stuff off ebbetts pass on hwy 4 as well. There's a ski area on the west side but I doubt they'll be open in June.

If all options are on the table, I'd go check out glacier national park once they get the road open.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    If all options are on the table, I'd go check out glacier national park once they get the road open.
    The road in GNP probably won't be open to cars in early June, but it'll be at least partially plowed. That's the prime season for riding a bike up to the plow line and then skiing from there.

North Cascades Highway will be opening around then. Lots of easy access good skiing....

Shasta can be a fun option, very simple and straight forward if you do Horse Camp and avi gulch, a bit more complicated if Hidden Valley and west face. No lift or hitch hike options but some great skiing and big mountain without scary terrain. Lassen, as mentioned, for lower elevation options, but still fun, easy volcano skiing.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Thanks everyone for all your great suggestions and tips. I may reach out to a fee if you directly.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Mammoth and Tioga/Sonora are your best bet in CA. Maybe Lassen if you don't need a chairlift. There's some fun stuff off ebbetts pass on hwy 4 as well. There's a ski area on the west side but I doubt they'll be open in June.

Yeah we do a lot of backcountry skiing with my 10 year old on Sonora Pass. Some easy hitches. Tioga and Ebbetts are great too.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Kinda of a highjack, but I'm just getting my 13 y/o in the BC too and I have mixed feelings. I love sharing the beauty and the thrill but am a bit reticent about introducing a teen to the risks involved. Slide for life, Avalanches, rockfall, etc. take on a new level when its not you and your peers, but your kid. And it feels weird to be possibly relying on a kid to dig you out or get rescue underway in an unlikely event.

How do you who are taking the kids into the BC think about this?

You need to start slow on small terrain. Don't hang yourself and your kid out there too far. We generally avoid avalanche terrain/conditions but we are definitely skiing in places where shit can happen. It keeps you honest. You've got to be sure you've got a good safety net in regards to terrain choices and touring partners. You've got to be on your game with teaching and using safe travel practices. I know that I can rely on my son more than some of the adults I've skied with. He's just getting to the point I'm going to start him carrying and learning how to use avalanche rescue gear but I'm certainly not going to rely on him to save my ass. I don't take him some of the places I ski solo even though I know he could ski it and probably better than me. I'm lucky that my wife is my best backcountry ski partner, so we have a solid group to start with. We've been touring with him since he was 4 so we've had plenty of time to take baby steps up the mountain. We are ready to make the next step up to adult AT bindings and introducing avalanche rescue to the movie. Also we just got radios for everyone to avoid separation anxiety.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. We ended up doing a shortened trip to Beartooth Pass area for some road access bc and skiing at Beartooth Basin, with plans for my son to compete in the IFSA jr big mountain comp at the Basin. Unfortunately due to crazy weather, closed roads, postponed comp, and my son getting sick the plans got all messed up. We did have a great day skiing the Rick Creek Headwall and a day st Beartooth Basin.

Rockcreek Headwall from below

The hike across the plateau

Son dropping in

Beartooth Basin

Huge cornice