Owning same model ski in different lengths?

Does anyone own the same model ski in different lengths?

I'm wanting to get a wet-snow ski and have a wet snow base grind, and keep my other pair with cold-snow structure. But I don't want to get exactly the same model, just to have a little variety.

But I'm thinking having two same models in different lengths could lead to obsession over which length is better for what, and even liking one length so much more that you don't use the other (which negates the purpose of having the second ski to begin with).

So, does anyone have the same ski in different lengths, both part of the active quiver?

I have multiple pairs of the same ski

I'm thinking of buying a new pair of skis every time I hit the slopes, but I'm really worried about the amount of time it takes to get the mounted and tuned every morning. Depending on the snow I always want to have the perfect ski/binding setup.

Does anyone else do this too? The hardest part I'm having is finding a shop that's open early enough before the lift starts to go up, especially with my VIP pass that gets me on an hour early. Any insight/experience into good shops for this would be appreciated.

^ pretty sure realjwin is making fun of OP...

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I have multiple pairs of the same ski
    And they're all the same size...

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    And they're all the same size...
    and width. I think I may have found a new pair to buy...

Are you concerned about flesh eating bacteria building up on the skis if you ski the same ski to many days in a row?

yeah I got the short lotus cheap, I put tech bindings on em also cheap and then a slightly used long pair of lotus came up with Barons & skins REALLY cheap which allows me to use my alpine boots and go faster at the hill

And yes the big quandry now is ... what base grind?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Seriously? are you competitively racing ?
    No, like a lot of people here that have a spring ski for when it's really wet and a structure base helps.

And some of you calm the effing fuck down; I'm not a "quiver" person anymore. I skied three skis this year (only one for three seasons), and found one that is simply a do-anything west ski. But when it's super wet I missed the medium chevron grind I had on my Bushwhackers.

And person referencing my footbed thread: I was NOT THE POSTER who brought up MRSA, nor was that my point. Some people took that thread way too far, when never did I suggest anybody should listen to or agree with my own concerns.

"Not a quiver person", yet wants multiple skis with different base texture.... hmmm.

In my experience there 2 types of ppl who care enough about base texture to own multiples of the same ski ... Racers, and Jong's with too much money and time on their hands.
    Bro you're fucked with your logic. One ski for cold weather, one for really sloppy gloppy glob. Two skis. Different base structure. I have t purchased a ski in four years.

Even if I was a quiver person, it'd be lame as fucked ducks to comment on it.

"Not a quiver person", yet wants multiple skis with different base texture.... hmmm.

In my experience there 2 types of ppl who care enough about base texture to own multiples of the same ski ... Racers, and Jong's with too much money and time on their hands.
    do they only have one type of snow condition up in canuckistan? quit being so cunty

if you were in utah last week you'd understand the OP's sentiment. i waxed my skis mid trip and it made fuck all of a difference. needed a super coarse base structure, not practical to put on bases every spring if you want your skis to last…

to OP, I don't think it's a crazy idea if you get out a lot at this time of year

The Q&P it worked for Doug
    https://youtu.be/Wi4N4duxwgk

man I must be a beater cuz not only was I here last week I actually LIVE in UT and have never found my regular ski bases so oppressive as to necessitate spring hashing my backup skis

well I couldn't decide which ski to be cold or which ski to be wet SO I'm getting the shop to grind the front half of both skis in a cold structure and the back half in a wet structure

you want it wet ... just lean back eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    No, like a lot of people here that have a spring ski for when it's really wet and a structure base helps.

And some of you calm the effing fuck down; I'm not a "quiver" person anymore. I skied three skis this year (only one for three seasons), and found one that is simply a do-anything west ski. But when it's super wet I missed the medium chevron grind I had on my Bushwhackers.

And person referencing my footbed thread: I was NOT THE POSTER who brought up MRSA, nor was that my point. Some people took that thread way too far, when never did I suggest anybody should listen to or agree with my own concerns.

Haha I was the poster of the MRSA stuff, but I'm just given ya shit sorry to hijack. Tbh, I would just get a second ski of the same size because you probably will decide you like one size better for different days not just spring vs. not spring. Or just get a different kind of ski for spring. The different size would drive me too nuts on which to use when.

I mean I have a Bodacious in 196 and kind of want one in 186 for days when I don't want to charge quite as hard... but the more I think about it the more I think maybe I should just get something else as my not charging ski.

Idk, I don't think it's really that practical.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    me too

Yes, I run a 188 112 Wailer for inbounds and a 178 for touring
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

and width. I think I may have found a new pair to buy...
    LP105s? Or are you talking about those 187 XXLs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    LP105s? Or are you talking about those 187 XXLs?
    New Lps like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    ...But I'm thinking having two same models in different lengths could lead to obsession over which length is better for what, and even liking one length so much more that you don't use the other (which negates the purpose of having the second ski to begin with)...
    If you want 2 lengths, then get what you want. If you don't want to obsess, then control yourself not to obsess.

The question is: Do you want to ski with ONE sking style all the time, no matter what ski you are on? OR do you like to ski with multiple different skiing styles to harness the different strengths of different skis?

1.) I have old Head m103's in 193cm and 183cm, and they seem very different to me. The 193 rocks at high speeds, but very tough for me in tight terrain and pointless in zero visibility. The 183 is kind of weak overall, but it seems like the most charginess-per-length ski ever, when I want a very short ski for low-risk comebacks from knee injuries/re-injuries.

2.) I have Katana 197 and 190. They ski pretty much the same, except the 197 feels a bit longer (duh).

3.) I have O.G. Hellbents 189 and 179. They seem very different to me. The 179 feels super-pivoty and agile. The 189 gets a lot more float, but they didn't make the longer length much stiffer, so it folds up more with its longer lever tip and tail, which can slow itself down in deep patches in chopped pow.

4. ) I have Blizzard Zeus 194 and 185. Haven't skied them yet, but they were super-cheap, and they are heavy as hell, and I usually love heavy skis. We'll see.

I always thought a good all-around 2-ski quiver would be Dynastar XXL 194 and 187...but I never went that direction.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

New Lps like yours.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    I figured out that one pair have good edges while the others are round. So basically I'm harnessing the strength of different skis, yet get to ski the same ski. It's the direction I've gone.

fuuuuuk
    Mark em left & right, try and keep one set of inside edges sharp

People always ask me why my skis say left & right and then I have to explain but then we got something to talk about on the 15 min ride

I find that the rocks at Kirkwood can/do impart serious structure to all of my skis. They still work fine year around.

I've got a pair of 193 Shiros and 203 Shiros. The 193s come out for days I'm hoping to ski steep trees. The 203s come out on days the terrain is going to be more open, hopefully...

I sort of want a pair of 184 Kastle MX 98s for days I don't want to drive my 194s. I might get a narrow pair of Kastles instead.

You are not crazy, just a gear whore.