Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

100mm thoughts and questions.

Hey Guys and Gals.

I'm looking for a new daily driver for my western trips from Minnesota. Roughly 10-12 days a season.

I had a pair of Head Collective 105s in a 181. liked them, but didn't love em. at 5'11" and 205lbs they just felt a little short for me.

I'm looking for a new ski in the ball park of 100mm under foot that I can just bring on a trip with me and have it do well enough.

I was looking at the 4frnt Kye 95 in the 187 and it seems intriguing as a daily driver. But I am totally open to opinions and am curious as to what your thoughts are of skis in that waist segment.

Other skis that have me intrigued are the

Icelantic Nomad 105
    Nordica Enforcer
    Liberty Origin 106

I've also had a pair of Volkl Mantras in the past (first year of the tip rocker) and they wernt quite playfull enough for me.

Avoid the Kye 95 unless you want a noodle.... I replaced mine with ON3p Kartel 98's.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    Avoid the Kye 95 unless you want a noodle.... I replaced mine with ON3p Kartel 98's.
    Are the Kye95s noodley for aft, torsionally, or everywhere? I dont mind a soft ski as long as its torsionally stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by werts View Post
    Are the Kye95s noodley for aft, torsionally, or everywhere? I dont mind a soft ski as long as its torsionally stiff.
    it's a noodle all the way around, IMHO. Coming from the midwest, you're used to pushing the tips of your skis. The Kye's won't be there to support you when you do that... I really wanted to like them and just couldn't. No support in the tail either. I hear the Kye 110 and 120 are a different animal and more supportive, FWIW. If you really want to check them out I'll sell you mine with the Rossi WTR Axial 120's on them CHEAP. Tried to move them in Gear Swap earlier and didn't get any bites. Wife wants to use them as wall-art if nobody ends up buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    it's a noodle all the way around, IMHO. Coming from the midwest, you're used to pushing the tips of your skis. The Kye's won't be there to support you when you do that... I really wanted to like them and just couldn't. No support in the tail either. I hear the Kye 110 and 120 are a different animal and more supportive, FWIW. If you really want to check them out I'll sell you mine with the Rossi WTR Axial 120's on them CHEAP. Tried to move them in Gear Swap earlier and didn't get any bites. Wife wants to use them as wall-art if nobody ends up buying them.
    Thanks for the offer, but if they are a noodle all the way around ill have to pass. Really helpful information though. What do you like about your ON3Ps?

I had my Kartel's custom-made to address everything i didn't get from the Kye's, honestly. I've only had 1 chance to ride them (hopefully more this weekend), but they're more stable, supportive, playful and generally more fun. They're a totally different ski from the Kye though, more park/all-mountain; though with my custom options mine are definitely more all-mountain. I also have ON3P Bill Goats and those things just OWN in anything soft and especially in the fresh. My wife skis ON3P Wrenegade 88's and loves them as her groomer-killers.

Nordica Enforcer 100 and K2 Pinnacle 105 are my votes. I'm your weight and both are a nice balance of stable and playful. The Enforcer has a slightly higher top end, but both have just enough forgiveness.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

ON3P Wrenegade 98 in 186cm should be about right for your needs if you like a ski with a more rearward mount. It's also fairly similar in type to the three skis you listed; all are directional, all-mountain skis with rockered tips and moderate sidecuts. I have the previous version (Vicik) and they are amazing for their width in powder and on groomers. Never the wrong ski for any conditions, just sometimes not the best (i.e., for ice and >1 ft powder).

Take a look at the Blister Review of the Liberty Origin 96. Super versatile and fun. Sold mine a couple days ago (kind of a quiver killer and I am looking for some more specialized skis) and might pick up Origin 90's next year. I've only spent a couple runs on the Origin 106 and it struck me as a milder, more powder oriented ski. FWIW, I'm about your size (5'11" and 215lb) and the 187 was the correct size. The cambered portion of the ski is substantial enough to provide good suspension and rebound for guys our size.

Agree with the ON3P recs above, Kartel 98 vs. Wrenegade 98 depending on how much tail you like in a ski. I have a pair of the old 110mm Jeffreys and they're an amazing combination of playful and yet able to ski hard. Can take them out on any day that isn't ice (and just bought a Wrenegade 88 for those days). There's a very unique combination of damp yet energetic and responsive character to the ON3P layup - very versatile and confidence inspiring. And I'm not one to automatically jump on the indie ski bandwagon, either. I've had some big company skis like the Fischer Big Stix that I thought had excellent quality and held up after hitting rocks, and some indie skis that I didn't like as much despite being popular on this forum. But somehow ON3P managed to perfect manufacturing and ski shapes in a very short amount of time and in relatively smaller batches (though this is thankfully rapidly changing as they're growing). If you can, demo, and otherwise, just buy blind like I did my old Jeffreys - you probably won't regret it and you could easily sell them on this forum if for some reason you feel differently.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Similar weight to you and I've had the 100 enforcer (185) and 98 wren (189). Either one would be a great choice. Wren maybe has a bit more of a top end, and the on3p feel mentioned above; enforcer is quicker and maybe a touch more playful. Both handle crud really well and ski powder above their waist. Haven't skied it, but I think a 193 enforcer would be money.

I use movement sluff for this and love them as an every day EC ski and a non epic pow day WC ski. Although they worked just fine in pow when you need them to, the wide shovel seems soft enough to float a bit. Very durable, as in 4 winters at Magic Mountain durable. Not damp, but lively and not to heavy if you want to occasionally tour. Probably have to find used at this point, can't speak to the new movement midfats, but I'll be looking into them when I need to replace
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Dynastar cham 2.0 97 is on the way...ill let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Do it you won't do it. That's the anti dare dare, so now you gotta leave some thoughts!

Werts- if you want to try out my Icleantic Nomad 105's on what we have left here in MN some day, go ahead and hit me up via PM. They are mounted NTN, so if you still have your Scarpa's- you are good to go. They are 191's, but with the tip and tail rocker, they ski like 185's. Cheers, S
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleskier View Post
    Werts- if you want to try out my Icleantic Nomad 105's on what we have left here in MN some day, go ahead and hit me up via PM. They are mounted NTN, so if you still have your Scarpa's- you are good to go. They are 191's, but with the tip and tail rocker, they ski like 185's. Cheers, S
    Sadly I've never had ntn. I'm still on 75s....I'll be mounting these up alpine though as that's usually what I do out west

Enforcer or wrenegade gets my vote. If you want something more playful but still has backbone Kartel 108 could be s good choice too.

So has anyone skied the Black Crows Navis?

This seems like it would be a solid option also.

102 under foot. rockerd tip. camber under foot. flat, early rise tail....

https://www.black-crows.com/navis-skis

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    The mount is too far forward, they like to turn but not finish, mount -1 or -1.5 to make them more fun, in my opinion.

think i'm curious about a 106 GPO in a 182
    Aggressive in my own mind

Blizzard Rustler 10

Praxis Piste Jib. Super fun on hardpack and is still really good in 6-8 inches. So many build and flex options to tune it just right for you. April custom sale start soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    The mount is too far forward, they like to turn but not finish, mount -1 or -1.5 to make them more fun, in my opinion.
    thanks,,,,,used/already mounted, will ski as-is 1st.....if feeling weird, will know why and move asap

Ptex has the Atomic Vantage 100 listed in GS for $299.

^^ That's a good deal right there.

Good info so far. I was curious about the Wrens too. No love for the E100's eh? Monster 98/108?

I thought I could find some used demo E100s cheap (like how I got the 88s) but haven't been seeing them. Surely some places are renting them, probably the Enforcer too...you'd think.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!