Jong steerer tube length question

I am building a custom bike for the first time and need help trying to figure out my steerer tube length. I am building on a budget and hoping to get a decent used fork.
    I have an XL Niner Jet 9 frame with a 145mm tapered head tube.
    Is there a general rule of thumb on how much room you need to leave for the rest of your stack up?
    Ideally I would find an uncut fork long enough to use or allow me to cut down. But, I am finding most are cut between 6.25" and 7.5".
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

what he said. it's best to add the actual stack of the headset cups and stem you choose, and allow for a few mm of spacers to ensure the stem is completely on the steerer tube.

I'm not aware of any zero stack headsets with actual zero stack height. It's usually at least a few millimeters for an internal style headset, some are as much as 10mm or so.

All decent headsets should specify their stack height, which you add to your head tube and stem heights to figure how much steerer you need. The steerer tube should be within 5mm of the top of the stem. I prefer it to go above and put a spacer or two on top. You should really also give your self room for at least 10mm of spacers, imho.

Thanks. I guess I misrepresented my question. I knew I could physically add all the components, but, I wanted to know about what proper overshoot for spacers and if anymore is needed. All of which has now been answered.
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

145mm is a really long headtube. I think you'll be cutting it really close with anything less than a 7.5" steerer.