Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

gut check: where would you move and why?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Grizz, holy shit ^^^. Kids, if you need a lesson, that is how you lurk.
    Damn impressive. I'm going to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Chico
    Three hours to decent skiing = no Bueno

Speaking of no Bueno, did I mention that Mt Bachelor season passes cost close to $1000? Another great reason to avoid Bend

I'd move to Italy. Other than the language gap and job prospects, everything you seek will be better in semi-rural Euroland.
    Otherwise, Squamish seems like the obvious choice if you don't want to live directly in Whistler.
    But the OP still hasn't weighed in on his plans for getting a visa outside of the US.
    However many are in a shit ton.

What about somewhere like Glenwood Springs or Carbondale and you can line up some nice Cougar hookups?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Three hours to decent skiing = no Bueno
    Lassen touring is 90 minutes away....

Briancon?
    Durango?
    Innsbruck?
    Santa Fe?
    Bolzano?
    Wenatchee?
    Merano?
    Olympia?
    Annecy?
    Yakima?
    Chur?
    Corvallis?
    Zurich?
    Pagosa Springs?
    Geneve?

Off the cuff, one of the coolest places I've ever been is Briancon.
    It's beautiful there.
    The variety of skiing and mountain activities with 2 hours is pretty amazing.

I've never been to Merano or Bolzano or Innsbruck, but I'd guess they're in the same class, if larger in terms of population than Briancon.

With no real ties, I'd think a lot bigger than the PNW.
    The PNW is a great place as a whole but I can disparagingly drone on about how crowded, expensive and set it is now.

I kind of think I'm over the urban experience, but I might miss being able to go out or see people. I have found smaller towns more friendly and welcoming than the PNW lately.

A lot of these decisions depend on how much risk you're willing to take on and how important the security of friends, infrastructure or 'community' is to you. I took a lot of risks in the past and it more or less worked out for things I like to do and even eventually having a family.

So I'd think that deciding on risk/safety versus the kinds of rewards I want is more important than where I end up.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Flow. Like water.
    You'll end up where you're supposed to be.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

i like that, g.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Flow. Like water.
    meh, not sure I'd use that analogy. Water flows to the path of least resistance....he could wind up living in a real shit hole by that method.

Here's where you could end up if you go with the flow, like the mighty Colorado River:

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

tough crowd

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

So I'd think that deciding on risk/safety versus the kinds of rewards I want is more important than where I end up.
    So, Chicago (the bad side) is out of the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    For fucks sake, when did this happen? Those folks in Lincoln county are going to cash in.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Grizz, holy shit ^^^. Kids, if you need a lesson, that is how you lurk.
    Damn. Long time...

Where's that similar thread from last year? There was some good stream of consciousness in that one. I think Reno and Grand Junction were at the front of the bus with the PNW using the third row seat in the minivan.

As I near possible retirment with a little coin in the bank I had planned on somewhere between sacramento and lake tahoe "lesser expensive." Had planned a while back to rent somewhere for a winter one season, see how it goes. HOWEVER. As stupid and cliche as it sounds, watching big little lies on HBO is really selling me on somewhere more costal well south of the bay area. just stunning vistas. Maybe renting a place in both and shuttling back and forth. what say you all?
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALL TUCKER View Post
    As I near possible retirment with a little coin in the bank I had planned on somewhere between sacramento and lake tahoe "lesser expensive." Had planned a while back to rent somewhere for a winter one season, see how it goes. HOWEVER. As stupid and cliche as it sounds, watching big little lies on HBO is really selling me on somewhere more costal well south of the bay area. just stunning vistas. Maybe renting a place in both and shuttling back and forth. what say you all?
    I grew up near Monterey, where Big Little Lies is shot. And I live in the foothills outside Reno, towards Lake Tahoe (aka less expensive than living in the Tahoe basin).

Any specific questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Norcal is the new socal. 20 yrs ago Norcal was the grungy and laid back half of the state and Socal was full of assholes.

Now it seems like every greedy and self centered bastard on earth has relocated to the Bay Area.

what say you all?

A little coin, won't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    So, Chicago (the bad side) is out of the question?
    There's rewards to the Windy Shitty: The Art Institute, Museum of Science and Industry and the UChi Egyptian Museum. I've spent a little time there. So no, not even in Evanston nor in a Moe condo.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    There's rewards to the Windy Shitty: The Art Institute, Museum of Science and Industry and the UChi Egyptian Museum. I've spent a little time there. So no, not even in Evanston nor in a Moe condo.
    I grew up there. Just was back for a meeting and ate at Yusho, Matthias Merges new yakitori place. Small towns in North America tend to have shitty food.

Something to consider. When I lived in Winthrop: 4 almost decent places to eat, no food delivery, no movie theater, no taxi to take your drunk ass home, etc.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

well what ever you do don't come here

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Flow. Like water.
    Then as it was, then again it will be
    An' though the course may change sometimes
    Rivers always reach the sea

Page and Plant said more or less the same thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Norcal is the new socal. 20 yrs ago Norcal was the grungy and laid back half of the state and Socal was full of assholes.

Now it seems like every greedy and self centered bastard on earth has relocated to the Bay Area.
    No it wasn't, maybe 30 years ago. 1997 was in the tech boom and it was already in decline. The 80s were heady times in the Bay Area.

Bay Area? No one goes there anymore, too crowded.

I'm in Bay Area and I like your thinking. I really like Monterey bay and would consider Folsom, EDH, Etc. No snow in EDH and 100 miles to South Shore.

$2500 a month and blocks to the beach at Spanish Bay.

https://www.elevatetosequoia.com/apa...artment-homes/

If your going to rent. Just rent six months at each.
    Keeping two domiciles and commuting back and forth will blow thru your coin, rather quickly.

I would fly to the PNW rent a van or truck for 3 weeks edit (or just drive up) and do a week at each place the spring when you can do all of the activities. You will know fairly quickly which one you like the best.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations