Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    As a longtime Norcal local I can say I like SoCal. Traffic is no worse than BA at this point. If the sun weren't so darn intense I could live in some areas there. I just can't take that desert sun.

If you never plan to have kids in school, Salt Lake has great everything and is a 1-day drive from everywhere. I get the idea that the outdoor scene is good.
    Serious all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Why wouldn't you just move to a real ski town?
    I did and it worked out pretty well, spent 10 years dirt bagging it, enjoying being a bum with no goal in life but to ski and mountain bike, lived in tents, cabins, couches, it was a boss time in life

Then I spent 10 years getting my shit together and trying to get people to take me seriously, it's working out pretty well. real well but I get bent out of shape occasionally when I have to take life seriously and so many people are having a good time

To answer the question I'd move to santa gay nm or sedona az if I was going to move, will reassess life in ten years

I'm originally from the UK, after 10 years in France & Switzerland I followed a lady to North Vancouver (via Toronto).

I love it here but it is insanely expensive. I tell anyone that will listen that if you are not making the most of living in Vancouver - i.e. taking advantage of the skiing / biking / water that we have on our doorstep then do yourself a favour and go somewhere where a living wage means living and not struggling. It sounds like you would enjoy it here.

I was 32 when I packed everything up from Europe. It was easy. Had no plans, no responsibilities and no worries. 8 years later, married with two kids and a job I love. At some point life will catch up with you, if you don't have great income potential in Vancouver then focus on other places.

The double taxation thing would piss me off.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post

IDK SoCal, buti would think coming from there I would have a tough time dating in an area that wasn't a major metropolitan city- I very much value a smart educated woman who can speak about current affairs, business, etc, and has a sharp wit. Frankly, from my few years of experience in a couple of the cities you mention (Bend, Bellingham, Reno) it is very, very difficult to find that kind of lady. Those citys lean towards having the more crunchy, dirtbaggy, rough around the edges adventure gal. NYC/CHI/SF etc would have the overly urban, career driven, super educated and smart kinda ladies, and IMO Seattle has more of the perfect middle ground between the two. there are exceptions everywhere obviously.
    The dirtbag ladies in my ski town are far more intelligent, both scholastically and in real life matters, than any of the girls I dated back in urban CA. YMMV.

Maybe OP likes dumb chicks.

Have I ever told you the joke about the Texan, the Californian and the Washingtonian?

Three people sitting around a camp fire - a Texan, a Californian and a Washingtonian.

The Texas pulls out a bottle of whiskey, opens it up and chugs it down then he throws the bottle into the air, pulls out his gun and shoots it proclaiming: "We got a lot of whiskey in Texas"

The Californian not to be outdone pulls out a bottle of wine, uncorks it, chugs it down and he too throws it into the air pulling out his gun and shooting it. "We got a lot of wine in California" he says.

The Washingtonian jumps up, pulls out his gun and shoots the Californian! As he's holstering his gun he says "We got a lot of Californians in Washington"

I moved from SF to Seattle a few years ago for likely similar reasons as you. I am late 20s, single (though currently taken), and certainly enjoyed the dating scene in both areas.

IDK SoCal, buti would think coming from there I would have a tough time dating in an area that wasn't a major metropolitan city- I very much value a smart educated woman who can speak about current affairs, business, etc, and has a sharp wit. Frankly, from my few years of experience in a couple of the cities you mention (Bend, Bellingham, Reno) it is very, very difficult to find that kind of lady. Those citys lean towards having the more crunchy, dirtbaggy, rough around the edges adventure gal. NYC/CHI/SF etc would have the overly urban, career driven, super educated and smart kinda ladies, and IMO Seattle has more of the perfect middle ground between the two. there are exceptions everywhere obviously.

If ladies aren't a huge priority, but you do want a cool culture in your town, I would look into Santa Fe as well. Its a cool funky city with a decent population base, Taos is less than 2hrs away, and fuck places that do not have good Mexican food (im struggling with that here in seattle ).

Basically, I am super happy I made the move. Our parents and grandparents moved all over the country all the damn time. Only during the last 30 years or so have we as americans stopped moving around the country. You are young without things to tie you down. Move to what you think is a cool place for a few years and experience something new. Variety is the spice of life, and until you find a family to settle down with, keep tasting spices to develop your palate.
    You traded one overcrowded, expensive megalopolis for another one with more greenery, worse drivers and a population with annoying passive-aggressive behavior.

There's plenty of passive-aggressive behavior E of the crest.

. . . fuck places that do not have good Mexican food (im struggling with that here in seattle ).
    Have you tried South Park?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    You traded one overcrowded, expensive megalopolis for another one with more greenery, worse drivers and a population with annoying passive-aggressive behavior.
    I cannot argue with this at all haha.

But, Its not quite as crowded, not nearly as expensive, and one helluva lot closer to by hobbies Plus it retains almost all of the good things about the Bay Area. But yeah, the drivers. Fucking woof.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post

No. But one place in the whole Seattle metroplex isn't exactly convincing me that the Mexican/taqueria scene is good here haha.

No. But one place in the whole Seattle metroplex isn't exactly convincing me that the Mexican/taqueria scene is good here haha.
    Pro tip: South Park is a neighborhood with numerous authentic Mexican restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post

You live in a bedroom community of Seattle Metro.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Vancouver is expensive. And you realize that Canada has immigration requirements? You can't just show up at the border with a moving van and expect them to let you in.
    .r.
    Maybe if you are brown and can claim refugee status, or you are a high priced computer professional, the industry is expecting a lot of them coming north since Trump got elected
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Golden, Colorado is up on the list for sure. Still feels like a nice small town with Boulder and Denver close enough by if I wanna either fly or just have some more options. Also has a nice variety of outdoor activities for sure. Just wish that the skiing was closer...

Eastern Washington is full. We are no longer accepting any more residents. DIYSteve was literally the last person allowed, due to his useful camper windscreen fabrication skills.

sincerely,

The people who moved here before it was cool

I would not choose any of your three. My situation is different semi retired seasonal relocation. My advice look at places that are further than an hour from the nearest Wal Mart.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    ....before it was cool
    For fucks sake, when did this happen? Those folks in Lincoln county are going to cash in.

Grizz, holy shit ^^^. Kids, if you need a lesson, that is how you lurk.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Eastern Washington is full. We are no longer accepting any more residents. DIYSteve was literally the last person allowed, due to his useful camper windscreen fabrication skills.

sincerely,

The people who moved here before it was cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    For fucks sake, when did this happen? Those folks in Lincoln county are going to cash in.
    Probably before LS was born.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Edina, MN.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Grizz, holy shit ^^^. Kids, if you need a lesson, that is how you lurk.
    No shit.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Zennan View Post
    Golden, Colorado is up on the list for sure. Still feels like a nice small town with Boulder and Denver close enough by if I wanna either fly or just have some more options. Also has a nice variety of outdoor activities for sure. Just wish that the skiing was closer...
    What the hell are you smoking? Dude wants to cut loose, doesn't care about job prospects, and you're suggesting the front range?

I agree with the earlier post (shredhead?), why aren't you looking at ski towns? Why only the northwest?

If I win the lottery, I'm moving to Durango, FWIW.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Whistler. Or maybe Nelson or Revelstoke. Let the exchange rate be your friend if you're not working.

Kalispell