Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VPN

VPN

Any recommendations for a home VPN service? Potential FCC regulatory changes, my own interest in limiting the info out there on me and security have me looking at how to get something going for my household. Is it possible to get this set up for phones as well?

Just buy a proxy service. Many out there. Route your Torrent traffic over that all other through ISP. That's how I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Just buy a proxy service. Many out there. Route your Torrent traffic over that all other through ISP. That's how I do it.

Not super savvy on this stuff, so evaluating services is difficult. What are you using? Looking at NordVPN, VPN Unlimited, and privateinternetaccess.

Mostly looking for easy use, I don't torrent. Wife won't use it if it isn't super simple, MAC compatible, etc. She is in a potentially lawsuit happy field and want to limit the amount of info showing up in background checks or future sales of information by ISP's aside from obvious privacy and security concerns.

I second these guys. Personally use PIA and it is almost the same speed as without VPN and never had an issue or warning from my ISP. The annual fee is reasonable and gives 5 devices, and theres "an app for that."

[QUOTE=...and privateinternetaccess [/QUOTE]

also use PIA. No issues and good speeds. Can mask your IP and access from pretty much any country you want. Good for overseas streaming.

i've been happy with PIA. i only buy service in chunks when i'm traveling but service has been solid.

I use ipvanish. There's an app too. No complaints. You can pick your servers too if you need to be from somewhere.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

ExpressVPN so far this past year. Lots of servers around the world for streaming BBC, Netflix and the like, TOR access, and the account is based on the British V Is. A bit pricey, but no issues on a router, or app on devices. Speeds depend on the server, but so far so good.

PIA works fine for me. Do a lot of torrent downloading and have no issues. Cheap too.
    The Sheriff is near!

PIA here too. To accommodate all the wired and wireless devices at the house, everything runs through a modified router with PIA installed. No limit on devices. If you are not in to modifying your router, I have had a solid experience with these guys- http://www.flashrouters.com

Are you guys talking old school torrents or via Kodi or both? I assume splitting off a vpn like pia for kodi is no problem. It's been on my to do list for too long.

I have similar concerns as the OP. Have been looking at a few different options and am leaning towards PIA. Would be using it at home, mobile, as well as at work. Work is a small office 4 computers, two employees (not in the office at the same time) plus me. My biggest concern is using QuickBooks w/ payroll over a VPN. According to the Googles they don't like to play nice with each other. Most of what I have found info on however has been for network setups with multiple users and many with remote access. I am the only one with QuickBooks on my computer (is connected through a LAN) and I don't take my work home with me. Anybody have any experience with this? I already have a mostly hate relationship with Quickbooks and don't want to make things anymore time consuming then they already are.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Another +1 for PIA at home. The only thing which can be a very minor annoyance is all the home page and random advertising in Finnish when you're routing traffic through there

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    I have similar concerns as the OP. Have been looking at a few different options and am leaning towards PIA. Would be using it at home, mobile, as well as at work. Work is a small office 4 computers, two employees (not in the office at the same time) plus me. My biggest concern is using QuickBooks w/ payroll over a VPN. According to the Googles they don't like to play nice with each other. Most of what I have found info on however has been for network setups with multiple users and many with remote access. I am the only one with QuickBooks on my computer (is connected through a LAN) and I don't take my work home with me. Anybody have any experience with this? I already have a mostly hate relationship with Quickbooks and don't want to make things anymore time consuming then they already are.
    I have QB on a computer and access it using UltraVNC. It's a remote desktop solution. The QB computer has a VNC server running and you access it remotely using a VNC client. It the same as using Citrix but free.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

You can mount a pfsense instance on a virtual private server for $5/mo. Tunnel from openvpn client on your lappy to your vps running pfsense.
    (This is exactly the same thing as mounting an openvpn server on Azure or AWS, only it costs less because you know the magick vps word.)

Now you control both ends of the tunnel for $5/mo + $10/yr to Network Solutions or Godaddy for a domain name.

Depending on your level of paranoia or criminality, you can spoof all your registration info through chains of emails and disposable credit cards. This won't stop a federal investigation, but you'll enjoy a level of anonymity you don't have now, as all your isp will see is 128 or 256-bit encrypted traffic back & forth to your vps, and your vps host will have to match logs to see anything other than ssl-encrypted traffic to and from the internet, ntp, and dnssec queries to root nameservers from your vps end.
    Last edited by highangle; 04-29-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    You can mount a pfsense instance on a virtual private server for $5/mo. Tunnel from openvpn client on your lappy to your vps running pfsense.
    (This is exactly the same thing as mounting an openvpn server on Azure or AWS, only it costs less because you know the magick vps word.)

Now you control both ends of the tunnel for $5/mo + $10/yr to Network Solutions or Godaddy for a domain name.

Depending on your level of paranoia or criminality, you can spoof all your registration info through chains of emails and disposable credit cards. This won't stop a federal investigation, but you'll enjoy a level of anonymity you don't have now, as all your isp will see is 128 or 256-bit encrypted traffic back & forth to your vps, and your vps host will have to match logs to see anything other than ssl-encrypted traffic to and from the internet, ntp, and dnssec queries to root nameservers from your vps end.
    Okay. Got it. But my screen is black right now. Just black. So how do I turn it on?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Go to the ip address your vps provider gave you. Follow his procedures to start your virtual machine and/or install pfsense. (Some providers have turnkey pfsense instances.)

If you're limited to 1 nic on your instance, set up a vlan. Otherwise your wan nic goes to the internet and an Opt nic gets the openvpn (gif) tunnel tofrom wherever the client is.

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Op..._Access_Server

what if it was a she?

#womenintech

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dog View Post
    I have QB on a computer and access it using UltraVNC. It's a remote desktop solution. The QB computer has a VNC server running and you access it remotely using a VNC client. It the same as using Citrix but free.
    +1 on this. We use a different remote-desktop solution, but the best option we've found for remote QB access is to remotely control a local machine with QB on it. QB over a high-latency link (e.g. VPN), where it's actually running remotely, seems to exacerbate existing weaknesses in the QB solution.

PIA still the recommendation for home VPN? Looks like $70 for 26 months.

It's cheap, but for accessing geolocked content, there's much better VPNs these days.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    It's cheap, but for accessing geolocked content, there's much better VPNs these days.
    I'm looking for something to access geo locked stuff, what works?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Would love to hear what's much better than PIA?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

There is a ton of choice right now. I use windscribe, because they recently had a killer deal, but mullvad is currently considered overall the best. They both work well on Macs if that is an issue for you. AirVPN is supposed to be good too. PIA is still good but considered a tier below those. Try and search around for coupons on the internet or reddit, there is usually a sale for ~80% off on one of those at all times.

IPVanish and Nordvpn are good but do have privacy issues as they are owned by a company who collects data.