Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skinning on treadmill - anyone done it?

Perhaps this is ridiculous, but someone here must have tried this? With treadmill on full incline?

I'll try it with someone else's setup. Any takers?? I promise to be careful.

I've seen it done, good specific training, might even work without skins.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    I've seen it done, good specific training, might even work without skins.
    This is what i was thinking about, as i bet skins would melt if you used proper technique, and either way i bey you'd get no glide. Make a dedicated pair of beater skis trainers.

Any mag want to take a hit for the team and try?

As a reluctant city slicker this approach could help when midweek turns aren't viable.

Fantastic idea to prepare for the uphill skiing revolution. Or why even go outside? Seriously, F- it.

Throw on some virtual reality goggles and get your uphill on without ever leaving your home.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Man this is really upping my hopes for my uphill skiing resort concept!

I'm lining up investors now to build a resort with fantastic skin tracks and a gondola to take you down from the top so you don't have to do any of that pesky downhill skiing.

Who wants to go in with me! Guaranteed 10x on your money, this is a BIG BIG opportunity. Uphill skiing is going to be the next big thing, mark my words!

I'm in. It's going to be yuge, the greatest, biggest thing ever.

Maybe have an uphill treadmill gym at the base area for the off season?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Will you be in an airplane?

'Nother fucked up thread to keep kooks occupied...... and yes I have shredded a treadmill

It sounds dangerous, I'm in preservation mode for the rest of my skiing life. But you're definitely on to something ya..
    Last edited by tango uniform; 03-18-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Fantastic idea to prepare for the uphill skiing revolution. Or why even go outside? Seriously, F- it.

Throw on some virtual reality goggles and get your uphill on without ever leaving your home.
    Oh man I hope you're right. The next big thing. Gonna be yuuuge!
    Empty slopes FTW.

god i hope that happens, every dingfuck in the world seems to slopshowing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

The GSA allegedly Trained for Alaska on a step machine with his skis on his back. In ski boots.
    Life is not lift served.

We have Flagstaff locals that are going to some sort of randonee championships in Italy this year. I guess it might even qualify as an Olympic event? I don't really know if that's true but it's the rumor.

These folks are great at exercising, no doubt. But they ain't skiers, that's for sure. In fact, they pretty much suck at going down the hill on skis. I sort of hate the fact that people that have the time to become this good at exercising can be rewarded in relation to skiing when in fact, they ski like shit and don't have a clue how to move through the back country. jus sayin.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    FTW, with tech toe pieces on the wood "skis." Seems better and cleaner than treadmill idea.

I knew when I posted this that it wasn't a mainstream TGR question, but I'm surprised and actually amused by the mad and consistent hate for all things rando/skimo on this board- and would love to see anyone posting ski for a day with the top rando guys. The best rando skiers can absolutely shred anything on the up and down, probably ski a minimum 70-80 days a year, and live to be in the mountains. All the racers are good guys, and the competitive aspect takes a second tier to having a good time and enjoying the process, even at the highest levels.

Also, honest question- why is it OK to train for trail running, swimming, cycling, whatever- but all of a sudden if you train for skiing you're a jong? Rando does have a number lot of cross-over athletes, e.g., cyclists who can shred the up but can't ski down. In the highest level of the sport they will ALWAYS lose as the best skiers can ski 50-60 mph on rando gear, any conditions, any terrain. And why does it bother anyone that someone is a bad skier but a good skinner in the first place?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dark_star; 03-19-2017 at 07:01 AM.

I've heard of it being done. tape your ski edges so you don't wreck the belt. Or use roller skis?

Why the hate? Makes sense to me. get some midget size skis and put a binding on and have fun. Maybe glue carpet on the bottom to miminize damage and friction on the treadmill.

the XC ski nordic track will not give you any incline, and if you jack it up it will have no resistance to backsliding. those are meant to spin a flywheel for kick and glide action.
    the treadmill makes more sense. get a cheap one off craigslist - its not like you need to go fast. Would probably have to jack it up to get a skinning angle?
    . . .

Lou Dawson put tech toes on an elliptical so he could use it with ski boots on.....

I'm sure if someone had the time they could dig it out on wildsnow.com

These folks are great at exercising, no doubt. But they ain't skiers, that's for sure. In fact, they pretty much suck at going down the hill on skis. I sort of hate the fact that people that have the time to become this good at exercising can be rewarded in relation to skiing when in fact, they ski like shit and don't have a clue how to move through the back country. jus sayin.
    I actually think a lot of those guys know how to move fast and efficiently in backcountry. Like if I could move that fast, I could ski more and safer because I wouldn't have to race the sun as much.

I agree a lot of skimo guys don't look pretty on the down, but a lot of them ski some gnarly shit and don't die so I count that as good skiing because lets face it, few of us look good skiing 50+ degrees on a firm bed of snow or skiing down a narrow couloir.

I think all of the hate towards skimo is jealousy. I'm definitely jealous of the speed those guys travel in the mountains. Here in the wasatch, I just call it getting "dorais'd" aka when you are working towards a peak, almost to the top and out of nowhere comes these two asian doctors just flying up the mountains and beat you to your line. it used to piss me off, now I just laugh and admire how fast they can move.

We have Flagstaff locals that are going to some sort of randonee championships in Italy this year. I guess it might even qualify as an Olympic event? I don't really know if that's true but it's the rumor.
    Yeah, Rob Krar. Your right, he's a runner that sks. Same with Kilian I guess.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Ya, none of my post was very serious, it was more of a drunken ramble. I poke fun at the uphill scene mainly because I'm jealous of people that are that motivated. It's not very serious though and although the drunk me sounds often like a complete asshole that's not the sober me. The truth is that a I actually admire that sort of thing.

I tried to get into running last year but I have zero motivation for just exercising. I wish that weren't true but that's me. The only reason I've ever been strong is because I like adrenaline and speed so I climb (skis or bike) but it's always been about the down. The older I get the it's become harder to find motivation as well. I think I rode my bike like 5 times last year, I got bored with that too.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Yes, i have done it.

I think I saw a video of some athletes at Mountain Athlete doing this. I'd third the idea of using a nordic track. Id compare the weight of the "skis" with your skis and adjust accordingly.