Ski suction/restriction in wet glop

Are there any types of skis that do well in wet glop?

I find my Bonafides get caught up and restricted in the wet glop, especially if it is not as steep, not skied out (I.e. OLD unskied powder). It can be hard to impossible to turn, and of course it is worse if your legs are tired.

But I'm wondering if this has more to do with base structure and wax than ski construction?

(Guess I'm wondering if widths, stiffness, tip splay, sidecut, etc can affect the skiing experience in the very wet glop).

Corn is fine, but wet glop not so much (and as I said above other factors make it easier or harder to ski).

I got some old 2nd gen chinese made BD verdicts that came with heavily structured bases and they defintely get faster in relation to my ski buds as the snow gets closer to zero
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    But I'm wondering if this has more to do with base structure and wax than ski construction?
    This. I had a buddy that used to do a pretty aggressive cross hatch on skis in spring. It works really really well. You kind of have to go deep though so it's not really something you should expect to be able to do and undo every season. More like just the skis you use when it gets warm.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

In xc skiing you can buy a rilling tool it has a little wheel that rotates across the base to put pattern into the base

for alpine you could probably get a special stone grind?

I put structure into a ski using a single cut file, put the file up on edge holding it so the teeth run parallel to the ski edges and drag it along at a 30 degree angle to the base so it doesn't really cut any material thing it just puts an impression in the base

Perhaps too many drugs ( or not enough? ) but I can't remember the specifics so maybe you wana try this on a junk ski 1st?

I joined in 2010, Richard.

Thanks for linx!

Snowboards do well

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Perhaps too many drugs ( or not enough??
    More is always the answer

uh, what were we talking about?

you can get a steel brush from tognar or svst or wherever. steel brush some real course structure, steel scrape it flat, give it a little deburring with the brass brush and//or fibertex and hit it with some swix yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got some old 2nd gen chinese made BD verdicts that came with heavily structured bases and they defintely get faster in relation to my ski buds as the snow gets closer to zero
    Could be some truth to this. I had the original Zealouts (brown version) which were almost unskiable in colder snow due to the course base structure. That same base might have worked well in spring glop.

V shaped base structure. If you're in Utah the Peruvian shop can hook you up right. I agree that I would only do this to my spring dedicated ski if possible.

Buy the red ones and go faster.