car tent question.

I am working on a tent to fit the back of my subi. I want to be able to sleep in the car at ski area parking lots. My question is should I use an outdoor fabric like Sunbrella or should I go with a Silnylon? Sunbrella takes serious weather punishment as shown by its extensive use on boats. The potential problems are that it is bulky, heavy, and I fear snow will stick to it. Silnylon is not at durable but I suspect it will not hold snow as much, it is lighter and less bulky. It will have to be inside the car during the day and so it would be helpful to reduce the amount of snow stuck to the tent when it is put away.

Any feedback as to the performance of these fabrics will be appreciated.

Use the fabric suggested in techtalk.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

thanks for the tip. spent 20 minutes finding out nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    thanks for the tip. spent 20 minutes finding out nothing.
    Might be helpful if you post some pics of your wife, girlfriend, or sister's tits.

have you ever slept in a ski area parking lot in a tent? between the wind and the equipment I don't think I'd get much sleep

Dont forget gettin hit by a fn snowplow

Don't listen to these cynical old bastards. Their dreams all died before you were born. I think you're right on with the Sunbrella idea. The durability seems like it'd be worth the weight penalty and you can always park your car so that the tent portion is on the leeward side in order to avoid snow loading on the fabric.

That said, you really ought to send a PM to Rontele. He did a bunch of r&d work for ARB when they were doing a big redesign of their rooftop tent line a few years back. He doesn't check the forums as much these days but I bet if you PM him he could clue you in on some great fabric and design options that you haven't thought of yet.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Since you seem pretty new here, the tech talk comment was to let you know that tech talk is where something like this should be posted.
    And also since you're new 'PM Rontele' might not mean anything. PM is Private Message to the user Rontele. And that would still leave you searching for the user Rontele so you could message him (by right clicking on his username).
    Or you could just follow this link - http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/p...o=newpm&u=4186
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    have you ever slept in a ski area parking lot in a tent? between the wind and the equipment I don't think I'd get much sleep
    Not sure if it was the wind, snow, groomers or the parking lot plows, but they were no where to be found the next morning.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5321.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	548.5 KB 
ID:	202788

Thanks for the advice. PM sent. Luddite out.....