Upgrade from my Yeti SB95?

Playing around with the idea of getting into a new ride.

Current bike is a 2010-or 11 aluminum SB95 with a few upgrades.

Looking for something lighter, that climbs/descends better-maybe more nimble feeling?

I ride in Colorado, Utah-mountains, desert-nothing too crazy- no downhill bike parks- mostly XC trail riding single track. I like climbing just about as much as descending.
    I consider myself an advanced rider, 5,10", 180 lbs, been mountain biking 25 years.

Bikes I've looked at so far:
    Yeti sb 4.5- or 5
    Ibis Ripley LS or Mojo HDR3?
    Pivot Mach 429 carbon

Other things to look into?
    Last edited by bovine; 03-16-2017 at 06:48 AM.

transition scout, Santa Cruz 5010, devinci django.

I'd go 429 sl, this is a 100/120 bike but very capable!

if I wanted more travel the ripley ls, not the 429 trail!

The 429 SL looks like more of a XC race bike....super light and fast but, wondering if it'll take big hits?

I like smooth, flowy single track but, also ride stuff like the sovereign trail near Moab, Gooseberry Mesa area down by St. George plus all sorts of chunky stuff near where I live.

I want something that I'll use a dropper post with for steep stuff, technical ledgy terrain, and fast "point and shoot" descending- kind of a one bike to rule them all.

You may want to take a look at a knolly endorphin, that being said I have never ridden one. I don't think you can go wrong with any kind of trail bike these days, FWIW. Im on an sb66 and going through the same scenario. Really good problem to have!

Upgrade from my Yeti SB95?

Mojo 3
    Jeffsy 27
    SB5
    Bronson

Here's the honest answer, since everyone has their favorites: Pick a few bikes and see if you can throw a leg over them. Choose whichever bike you can get the best deal on that fits you in size and riding style.

In all honesty, there are SO many bad-ass bikes out there that you really can't go wrong these days.

If you're ever in the Boulder area, I'd be happy to let you hop on a few bikes from Ibis and BMC.

Do you like DW Link suspension? The Ibis and the Pivot are basically the same bikes, with the exception of specification and minor tweaks to geometry. IMO...DW Link is great in Colorado, but there are better options. Both Ibis and Pivot's platform are otudated...so the past few years (4-5) have really just been improvements from the shocks and componentry.

Spot Rollik will blow you away if you enjoy getting up tech climbs

Don't improve your skills. Blame the bike's "shortcomings" compared to "modern ___________."

Quote Originally Posted by bobsdesk View Post
    IMO...DW Link is great in Colorado, but ....
    Yeah I heard it's critical to choose a suspension design based on where you live. Weagle couldn't possibly design that dw-link to be good as a suspension system, he had to choose a region instead.

We all know the bike is particular about where it's ridden and will perform differently depending on where you ride it. Bikes are emotional that way. So be sure to get an "aggressive" bike if you want to be ROWDY!

Tires must be regionally designed too, that would explain the constant stream of "what tires should I run at ___" threads on mtbr

You should at least *try* a Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol.

Full disclosure: I don't work for GG, nor have I tried a Pistol, 'cause 29'ers are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post
    Current bike is a 2010-or 11 aluminum SB95 with a few upgrades.

Bikes I've looked at so far:
    Yeti sb 4.5- or 5
    Ibis Ripley LS or Mojo HDR3?
    Pivot Mach 429 carbon

Other things to look into?
    If you're looking at the SB4.5 it seems like the SB5.5 would be an obvious addition. That said, smmokan's answer should be your next step.