Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Is the Audi A3 big enough for your group? Euro Hertz rents those.

^^^
    Even smaller than the 3 Series. It's the exact same car as a Golf.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Is the Audi A3 big enough for your group? Euro Hertz rents those.
    I assume you either don't know what an A3 is or are joking. I think the Peugot will work. (I know, that's what every Peugot owner in history has said before getting screwed.)
    [quote][//quote]

You can get a lot into one of these
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clown-Van-Crash.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	202520

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I assume you either don't know what an A3 is or are joking. I think the Peugot will work. (I know, that's what every Peugot owner in history has said before getting screwed.)
    It must be the former, because it's definitely not the latter. I thought the A3 was the same size or bigger than the BMW 3 series?

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    It must be the former, because it's definitely not the latter. I thought the A3 was the same size or bigger than the BMW 3 series?
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    ^^^
    Even smaller than the 3 Series. It's the exact same car as a Golf.

1. Your taking too much shit. Unless you have some frequent flyer status you'll get rolled on baggage fees.

2. The max for that vehicle is 3 ski bags (the big rollers), 2 large duffels & 4 backcountry packs. Said a different way, if you travel lights it is full with four dudes.

3. Are you flying to Paris & driving to La Grave? Do you need a car when you are there to travel or is it just to get too & from the airport? If the former, get a bigger car or take less shit. If the later, consider other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    1. Your taking too much shit. Unless you have some frequent flyer status you'll get rolled on baggage fees.
    If you know a way to have fewer than four bags while traveling with three women I'd like to hear it. I think you also are forgetting about carry ons, and checked bags should be only ski bags and boot bags, which don't count as extra bags. Not sure how you would travel with fewer than four pairs of boots for four people...

2. The max for that vehicle is 3 ski bags (the big rollers), 2 large duffels & 4 backcountry packs. Said a different way, if you travel lights it is full with four dudes.
    Will probably have three ski bags, one checked bag, and carry ons.

3. Are you flying to Paris & driving to La Grave? Do you need a car when you are there to travel or is it just to get too & from the airport? If the former, get a bigger car or take less shit. If the later, consider other options.
    Other options won't work. Staying in Serre Che so a car is necessary, and even if we didn't need the car there I just can't see this working by train--that was fine when I went on my own, but not with the wife and kids. Again, would like to take less shit but that's not realistic.

Also not sure if you're referring to the BMW or the Peugot--I believe since the Peugot is sort of a wagon it could work. I actually think that last time we did have a very similar sized car (to the BMW) and it worked--wasn't all that comfortable for the kids in the back, but it wasn't torture for them either. It did take some creative cramming.
    [quote][//quote]

FWIW, I have a 3-series wagon and it can def hold 4 60L duffels and 4 boot bags in stacked in the back. 5-6 pairs of skis stacked through the pass through would def crate a barrier inside between the two rear passengers, but it could work if the passengers can deal. (Take skis out of, and fold up, 1-2 of the ski bags. Maybe put a bag under front passenger's feet, etc.)

You talking sedan or wagon?

How big are the rear passengers?

I have no idea what a 60L bag looks like compared to ours, but the bags are not very big. Having the barrier between rear passengers could actually be a benefit as they are sisters and quarrel occasionally. They are human size these days, though--but still small compared to average sized guys.

It's the sedan. Much as I like the BMW, I am leaning toward the Peugot for what I assume will be extra room.
    [quote][//quote]

Do they have a picture of the Peugeot? (Or in rental speak, a similarly sized model)

Go Peugeot.

Here's a 60L duffel: http://www.patagonia.com/product/bla...ers/49341.html

I fit everything I need (besides skis) for a 4-5 day ski trip in one of these and a 45L backpack (use the latter as a boot bag). If you need more stuff, wash it or buy it.

[quote][//quote]

Ça marche! Barely...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1190.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1,013.1 KB 
ID:	203245
    [quote][//quote]

Nice.

No fucking way the 3 series would have worked.

Now, go drive the piss out of my. I know my wife just loves it when I drive like a jackass.

I like to immerse myself in the culture when I travel, how about something traditionally french like a 2CV?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I like to immerse myself in the culture when I travel, how about something traditionally french like a 2CV?
    Only if they're out of LeCars.

Or a baguette with wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

almost 10 yrs ago I rented a Renault Wagon that was very impala sized, seemed to have lots of room, I drove it from Toulouse to Paris at 130 kph on the highway, I think it was a 2.3 TDi with 6spd manual ... lots of jam

also a Citroen mini van in England it had a funny gearbox shifting into 2nd with the left hand, tons of room & incredible milage from a 1.9 TDi
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Yeah, I was actually thinking about the issue of having openings where the straps are. Just not sure about that solution.

Earplugs. Real motorcyclists use them daily. Your preference in style may vary. Make some room in there and buy some straps! Does Euro let you strap shit to the top though?
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."