Used car value's Which book???

Just had our only kid move out. She didn't go far just a couple of miles away to be just off campus and away from her parents. She has been using our cars as needed but since she's not at home any longer that is a bit difficult. I would like to pick up something for her drive around locally (small town) and to come get her dog that is staying with us. Probably going to get an Acura MDX or similar. I have found a couple but the prices seem to be all over the place.

Kelly blue book (KBB.com) shows book value about $2000 less the what NADA does on most of what we have looked at. Which one to use???
    Don't mind paying a fair price but just not sure the best way to find out what that fair price is.

What does the wisdom of TGR have to say?
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

NADA is more conservative with having complete data for a particular model or trim. BB tends to be more conservative with price. Both use pricing models that are proprietary, so comparing them accurately is difficult.

So, aim for the bb price, but be aware that it may not account for e.g. an unusual trim package on a late model car, unless it is spelled out specifically on their web site.

RShea

Edmunds and KBB both allow you to get used car estimates- based on mileage, color, options and accessories included, and finally region of the country- used for things like body and rust, etc.

NADA has always been more realistic for us. Have a buddy that owns a dealership and one that works at a different one, NADA seems to be the standard. KBB Is apparently old school. Disclaimer - I haven't bought a thing from either one of them.

Assuming your local market is big enough, search the local market (Craigslist, etc) for comparables and go from there.

As a buyer or seller, use all 3 (NADA, KBB, Edmunds). Nobody, and no book, can tell you what a particular car is worth in a particular market (even though each guide supposedly accounts for location), and yes, the 3 guides will be all over the place. So use them as a bargaining tool, not as a tool to determine if something is priced correctly. IOW, if you see a car you like and think you might want to negotiate for it, use the one with the lowest value and present that to the seller as the basis for your offer.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

search ebay for "sold" vehicles of the type you are looking for
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

6 or 7 years ago I served as arbitrator in a case in which vehicle value was at issue. Both expert witnesses relied on NADA as a starting place, provided comps per AutoTrader, etc. and testified re condition of the vehicle. Both experts testified that KBB was a piece of shit (although they did not use that specific language in their testimony).

KBB is full of lowball numbers. Not realistic.

Daddy never bought me an Acura and I turned out ok.