Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Stop with the teases, I am getting too happy in the pants.

Is it worth while to bring a alpine harness?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I'm in - cause I don't put cover sheets on my TPS reports.

Just trying to figure out the payment - I thought the PayPal number was number of guests being paid for, didn't realize it was the actual cost, so I've sent him $1 so far, cause I'm interweb savvy like that I doubt they'll accept that as full payment - though I could bring bacon to make up the missing funds. I fired Lars an email to see how to proceed getting him the rest of his $.

Hutash, if the logistics work, I'd love to hitch a ride.

Stoked for this!
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

If is is $1 US, that should just about cover it with the exchange rate

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

From today

Wow! Save some please.

iscariot

Boom. Paid and in. Looking forward to this trip.

Who's bringing bacon?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

giddyup! I'm joining with two other friends. Thanks for posting this Lee!
    Hutash/Shafty/Lee -- mind if I start up a PM discussion to get some more info re: logistics?

No problem. I am flying into Van on Sunday the 9th.

iscariot

Might as well just post the questions here Johnny. Hutash feel free to add the info we already exchange via PM

Some notes as I know Lars is all over the place right now travelling

Gearlist is circulated with trip info by hut owner. Shar and I will bring in ski crampons as there are alpine objectives with S facing approaches. Skis in approx 110mm width. Maybe a rudimentary glacier kit (light glacier harness etc) but if the eastern duffy is any guide the snowbridging is well over 4 - 5m and is thick at present). Lots of sunscreen

Will probably ski on the Monday the 10th too before going into Whitecap.

A good place to stay in Whistler is the Fireside Lodge. Has good bus access and walkto access to Creekside. Aava Hotel in Whistler village has spring deals right now if you don't mind sharing a room and is even more convenient.

If you want to ski in Pemberton up duffy there is the Hitching Post motel which has awesome Duffy access. Also really good deal if you don't mind sharing a room

I'll be coming from the island sometime between Sunday afternoon/evening and Monday evening - doing tear down at Mt Cain over the weekend here. What's people's timing like for travel? Hutash is Sunday afternoon-ish? My ferry gets in just north of Vancouver - it's called horseshoe Bay ferry terminal
    Last edited by shafty85; 03-27-2017 at 02:31 PM.

whoops, initiated pm conversation before I checked here. standing by for notes from hutash.
    I'm either driving up from Seattle Sunday/Monday or flying into Vancouver Monday night from work. TBD.

No problem. I am flying into Van on Sunday the 9th, noonish. Renting a car and driving to Whistler That afternoon evening . I go right by the ferry terminal, so could easily pick up Shafty85 if desired. I plan on skiing WB Monday to get my ski legs and get on my ski boot combo which I have limited time with this season. I am flying so have weight issues, but will probably bring a few things like an alpine harness and whippet. Ski crampons for sure +/- boot spikes. Maybe a 50cm axe???

Will try to bring some California red wines if weight allows.

I have two full days after the hut to ski, travel, visit friend, or hang in Vancouver strip clubs. I fly south on Tuesday.

Word from the website is the cabin/yurts are heated, so I am planning on just a light bag and sleep sack, also for Whistler hostels.

iscariot

It sounds like the hut has filled up. How many maggot?

Me (hutash)
    Lee Lau and spouse
    Shafty85
    Johnny Utah

Others? Add to the list, kind of a BC mini, eh!

iscariot

When I asked Lars, he mentioned we wouldn't need glacier gear. Doesn't mean that if enough of us bring it, we wouldn't be able to do something like that, just reporting what he said. What does the collective say about it - do we bring it or no? Sounds like ski crampons are a given.

Ideally, my schedule would be to get picked up Monday afternoon/evening, then crash somewhere in Whistler/Squamish/Pemby and go from there. If people will all be passing through Sunday, I can try to get off the mountain ASAP and head for the ferry. The Hitching Post/tour Duffy option sounds stellar to me, rather than skiing the resort. Haven't been in that area before, but would love to check it out. Thoughts from those coming from afar?

I won't have glacier gear. Ski crampons for sure.

Still TBD on when I'll arrive, but looking more like Monday night. If I get in earlier, a Monday tour would be in the cards. Flight out on Saturday night from SEA.

Think you'll have room in your vehicle? Be great if I could catch a ride from and back to the ferry with you guys.

Suggest waiting till approx a week before to make a final decision re accommodations. I know someone at Aava who can make a group booking if its Whistler. If its Pemberton either the Hitching Post or the Pemberton Valley Lodge will not be busy on Sunday night..

Rely on Lars re glacier gear. Less ropes, less farting around.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Think you'll have room in your vehicle? Be great if I could catch a ride from and back to the ferry with you guys.
    Seems probable. I'm not familiar with the area, and will be catching a ride from friends, but only three of us. We can take that conversation to email for those guys.

Blackcomb today

Attachment 203565

What are people currently thinking of bringing in terms of skis? Debating between the Hojis and the Praxis Freerides...

Pretty big dump of snow in wx models and FLs staying at 1300m week coming up.

Having said that I bring 105 underfoot

what are the typical ski models that you see on a trip like this, Lee?
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    what are the typical ski models that you see on a trip like this, Lee?
    Depends on time of the year. I'd say a tech setup. 100 to 115 underfoot. Medium weight boots. All the randorace shit is marginal in hut trips (unreliable). All the super heavy TGR aggro skis are also marginal in hut trips (have to ski 7 days straight). Of course there are exceptions but they're few and far between

I follow Arc'teryx on instagram and it looks like they were at the lodge last week. Looked all time. Good snow, great coverage and stability.