Mentioning backcountry/snow science expeirience as a qualification for techincal job?

Would any of you mention an understanding of snow science, or lets say, experience doing other technical things, like the ability to fly/land an aircraft, or read a river, as possible qualifications for a technical manufacturing job?

I'm a well read, smart, underachieving, aging college dropout ski bum, and being broke but having time to ski every day doesn't sound quite as appealing as it did when I was 20.

I'm looking at manufacturing jobs, nothing too fancy, but writing a cover letter mentioning that I know about snow science or how to land a plane/glider with slip/crab in a heavy crosswind feels a bit odd. Obviously I'm not going to put these things on my resume, but should I include them in a cover letter, or just mention them in an interview, if I get one?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Do you have credentials or self taught? I think various credentials, put in the right context, could help.
    e.g. if you have avy level 3 you could say something like "achieved the highest level of technical certification in ...." or complete a multiyear technical training course in

I've got avy 1, but maybe just lie and say I've got avy III? Never lied on a resume/application/interview before, but plenty of people seem to do it, perhaps I should start?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Perhaps avoid specific discipline terminology, but perhaps incorporate wording that describes your strength at collecting and stratifying data from and within a dynamic environment. Elaborate on your skills at the analysis and presentation of that data. For your flight skills, emphasis you ability to react to or predict highly variable conditions under stressful circumstances or environments.

If nothing else its an interesting conversation starter that makes you seem well rounded. The end of my resume lists FireFIghter, Avy 1, Whitewater Kayak Instructor, MiT Supply Chain Management, etc certs and without fail every interviewer likes to latch onto one and bring it up.

Thanks guys, that helped. I think I mostly just needed a little validation that mentioning those things wasn't going to make me look like I was just completely coming out of left field.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I've got avy 1, but maybe just lie and say I've got avy III? Never lied on a resume/application/interview before, but plenty of people seem to do it, perhaps I should start?
    I'm sure you were joking, but this will almost guarantee that the interviewer is aaire instructor and they'll want to know who your instructor was. Risky.