Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kuat NV 2.0 vs Sherpa 2.0

Anyone out there with an opinion on one over the other? I like the idea of the extra robustness of the NV, but I also wouldn't mind saving some money with the Sherpa.

Main bike will be a Santa Cruz Bronson. Car is currently a Honda Element, but that will probably change by then end of the year to something with a little more ground clearance and more power under the hood.

love my nv, never tried the sherpa. I think nv is the best out there besides 1up, cc/bc were selling the kuat nv at 35% not too long ago, you might try to score a deal with them

I'm also considering 1up USA, though I'm not sure I can get as good of a deal on those as the Kuats.

Anyone have a NV 2.0 with a bike with WB > 1215m? Kuat says that's the max length. Will it take 1225-1245mm bikes with 2.4 tires?

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Anyone have a NV 2.0 with a bike with WB > 1215m? Kuat says that's the max length. Will it take 1225-1245mm bikes with 2.4 tires?
    I'm curious there, as well. The main bike I'd have in it (size medium Bronson) has a 47" wheelbase, which is right at the edge of their 1215mm/48" listed max wheelbase.

I had a Sherpa before I went to the 1up rack. I literally tell people the 1up was one of the best mtb upgrades I've ever made. It makes every ride a better experience.

The Sherpa has a horrible wheelbase limit. I had bikes fall off the rack multiple times on highways and gravel roads. Way way more movement of the rack itself and of the bikes. The arm that clamps down on the front wheel would chew up the front brake hose clamp on the fork.

Seriously, long term value with the 1up is off the charts compared to any steel & plastic rack. So solid. So easy to use. Run 1-2-3 bike mounts. Move 1 or 2 of your bike mounts to a buddy's car for road trips. Wife got rear ended, got insurance to replace rack and was able to buy just the affected parts and its good as new.
    Decide you don't like it? You'll literally be the only person in the country with one for sale on Craigslist and can recoup most of your cost regardless how old it is.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I had a Sherpa before I went to the 1up rack. I literally tell people the 1up was one of the best mtb upgrades I've ever made. It makes every ride a better experience.

The Sherpa has a horrible wheelbase limit.
    Thanks for the info. I think that pretty much disqualifies the Sherpa for me, then, and leaves the 1-up and the NV. I'm in saving mode as I'll need to replace my car before the end of the year and can get a much better deal on the Kuat than the 1-up.

Kuat racks are grossly overrated and overpriced. You're paying a premium for a blingy looking rack with no more functionality than the competition. The repair stand is usable but mostly a gimmick. My Thule has been kicking it for five rough years with a little maintenance, for a lot less money. Doesn't look as cool but just as functional. The 1UP is vastly superior to all other tray racks but you get what you pay for. Best value, and probably durability, is the North Shore. Won't carry road bikes though if that's a factor.

My first preference for a new rack would be one up followed closely by North Shore.

Edit to add, this:
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post

The Sherpa has a horrible wheelbase limit. I had bikes fall off the rack multiple times on highways and gravel roads. Way way more movement of the rack itself and of the bikes. The arm that clamps down on the front wheel would chew up the front brake hose clamp on the fork.

Seriously, long term value with the 1up is off the charts compared to any steel & plastic rack. So solid. So easy to use. Run 1-2-3 bike mounts. Move 1 or 2 of your bike mounts to a buddy's car for road trips. Wife got rear ended, got insurance to replace rack and was able to buy just the affected parts and its good as new.
    Decide you don't like it? You'll literally be the only person in the country with one for sale on Craigslist and can recoup most of your cost regardless how old it is.
    For the money, I'd seriously consider a Thule. Cheaper at retail and better and more abundant deals.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Whatever you do, don't get a Thule. They break when you look at them funny. I've seen numerous arm hooks break, I know people who have had the trays slide off the backbone while they were driving down the highway, and they're sloppy as all hell. The old Sportworks design was great in its day, but it hasn't held up over time. Plus Thule sucks for small parts availability. You used to be able to buy individual parts, but now they only sell assemblies in some cases. For instance, when your pivot goes bad, which it will, you have to buy a whole new backbone instead of just buying new pivot bearings and/or parts.

My NV is much much sturdier than my old Sportworks/Thule rack. I even had a car back into mine in a motel parking lot on a road trip and it managed to get 4 heavy bikes home over several hundred miles despite the fact it was significantly bent and cracked in places. Thankfully, it was brand new and I got to replace it for free with purchase protection. The lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either. It's not all roses though. The NV is great if you run only two bikes. If you run the extension though, you have to move the trays closer together which creates all sorts of problems with bar/seat conflicts. With the new wider bars, you'll have problems with the bars on a bike two trays over. It's annoying as all hell.

I sold mine, got a North Shore rack, and I've never looked back. It's really nice not having to deal with the bar conflicts anymore. The North Shore is stout too. Plus, it carries 4 bikes compactly.

That said, if you're married to the tray design, definitely go 1up. It's sturdy as hell and you won't have bar/seat conflicts due to its tiered design.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Starts shipping mid May - No wheelbase issues, fits everything, $299 - http://www.swagman.net/product/sitkka-2/

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Starts shipping mid May - No wheelbase issues, fits everything, $299 - http://www.swagman.net/product/sitkka-2/
    Gotta say, that thing looks pretty chincy.

Liking the design of this one, no idea what quality will be

https://www.rockymounts.com/products...orm-hitch-rack

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Fits everything except 4 bikes. There are a lot of really good 2 bike racks. The problem is when you start adding bikes. The Kuat NV is great for running 2 bikes. No seat/bar issues, great spacing, etc. It's when you run 4 that things get interesting. The only two racks that address this effectively are the North Shore and the 1Up.

Oh and if this comes off curmudgeonly, that's because it's budget season and I'm grumpy. Need to ride...
    Last edited by Arty50; 03-15-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Whatever you do, don't get a Thule. They break when you look at them funny. I've seen numerous arm hooks break, I know people who have had the trays slide off the backbone while they were driving down the highway, and they're sloppy as all hell. The old Sportworks design was great in its day, but it hasn't held up over time. Plus Thule sucks for small parts availability. You used to be able to buy individual parts, but now they only sell assemblies in some cases. For instance, when your pivot goes bad, which it will, you have to buy a whole new backbone instead of just buying new pivot bearings and/or parts.

My NV is much much sturdier than my old Sportworks/Thule rack. I even had a car back into mine in a motel parking lot on a road trip and it managed to get 4 heavy bikes home over several hundred miles despite the fact it was significantly bent and cracked in places. Thankfully, it was brand new and I got to replace it for free with purchase protection. The lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either. It's not all roses though. The NV is great if you run only two bikes. If you run the extension though, you have to move the trays closer together which creates all sorts of problems with bar/seat conflicts. With the new wider bars, you'll have problems with the bars on a bike two trays over. It's annoying as all hell.

I sold mine, got a North Shore rack, and I've never looked back. It's really nice not having to deal with the bar conflicts anymore. The North Shore is stout too. Plus, it carries 4 bikes compactly.

That said, if you're married to the tray design, definitely go 1up. It's sturdy as hell and you won't have bar/seat conflicts due to its tiered design.
    So you can definitely buy the brass bushings for the Thule, I've replaced mine. Get them at home depot, about $40 for a set. And they last A LOT longer than the originals. As for the trays sliding off the backbone, this problem has been addressed a long time ago with a simple bolt that goes in the end, preventing it. I also repleced the shitty bolts holding the trays on with hardened steel ones because they stripped. Never seen a wheel arm break but I'll take your word for it that it can happen. There also plenty of stories of bikes coming off the Kuats as well. In my own personal experience though, the Thule has been a great value. I'm telling you, thinking about it now, I realize I bought the original T2 NINE years ago, then added the other two trays the next year. I've beat the piss out of this thing since and just keeps going. Granted, I should replace it soon just on principle.

Overall though, I agree that either North Shore or One-Up are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I'm telling you, thinking about it now, I realize I bought the original T2 NINE years ago, then added the other two trays the next year. I've beat the piss out of this thing since and just keeps going.
    Same here, it just won't quit. I did have to replace a couple of the brackets that hold the crossbeams on, but that was due to a reversing incident of my own doing and they were readily available cheap from etrailer.com. I'll replace it when it breaks, until then I have other priorities, but when it does die it will be NS or 1UP.

I've had a sherpa for several years. I like that it's light and easy to put on/remove, and it converts from 2" to 1 1/4" hitch easily (I swap it between my Toyota Highlander and Subaru Impreza regularly and it fits easily on both). And I got it basically free by cashing in REI dividends (REI doesn't carry 1UP, unfortunately).

BUT, I had one of the arms that holds the front wheel fail and drop my bike onto the highway doing 70mph. To be fair, Kuat stood behind it, paid to fix the bike, and sent me new arms to replace the old ones. But the new arms are the same design and don't seem to solve the basic issue that caused the original failure. The guys at my LBS said it wasn't the first time they'd heard of it happening. It's also pretty wobbly, and my 29er seems a little too big for it.

Bottom line - if I was doing it again I'd get the 1UP. I may replace it this year, though it's currently functional and I hate dropping $500 if I don't need to.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

So you can definitely buy the brass bushings for the Thule, I've replaced mine. Get them at home depot, about $40 for a set. And they last A LOT longer than the originals. As for the trays sliding off the backbone, this problem has been addressed a long time ago with a simple bolt that goes in the end, preventing it. I also repleced the shitty bolts holding the trays on with hardened steel ones because they stripped. Never seen a wheel arm break but I'll take your word for it that it can happen. There also plenty of stories of bikes coming off the Kuats as well. In my own personal experience though, the Thule has been a great value. I'm telling you, thinking about it now, I realize I bought the original T2 NINE years ago, then added the other two trays the next year. I've beat the piss out of this thing since and just keeps going. Granted, I should replace it soon just on principle.

Overall though, I agree that either North Shore or One-Up are the way to go.
    Adding the bolt was smart. I'm glad you've had good luck with it. I was skerred off them after looking out the back window of lph's truck and noticing that Mr. Shoelaces' bike had gone missing... Thankfully, we were on a dirt road and the bike wasn't hurt. That could have been really bad on the highway. I've had an arm fail on the Kuat also, but it merely got stuck and wouldn't release. That I can deal with.

Yeah, scary for sure. Just got back from a biking trip and I saw a number of Sherpas. They definitely look a lot cleaner and more robust than the Thule. Anecdotally though, also seem as prone to failure. Still just a rehash of a flawed design.

Some rubber wore through my rack on this trip and it managed to do some work on my fork leg in a few hours. Shitty.

Looking at the 1Up again, it's really the only way to go. Even the North Shore causes a lot of wear to your fork crown. Only cosmetic that I've seen but in theory it could go farther if precautions aren't taken. The 1Up ONLY contacts the tires and it's easily adjustable fore and aft to eliminate all contact between bikes. So well designed. Only drawback is the price. $1150 for A 4-bike in black. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Fits everything except 4 bikes. There are a lot of really good 2 bike racks. The problem is when you start adding bikes. The Kuat NV is great for running 2 bikes. No seat/bar issues, great spacing, etc. It's when you run 4 that things get interesting. The only two racks that address this effectively are the North Shore and the 1Up.

Oh and if this comes off curmudgeonly, that's because it's budget season and I'm grumpy. Need to ride...
    There is also going to be a 3 bike option for $425 http://www.swagman.net/product/sitkka-3/ This is a 2 with a 2 add on http://www.swagman.net/product/semi-4-0-2-bike/ http://www.swagman.net/product/semi-4-0-2-bike-add-on/ The only downside to the Semi is it only takes up to 3" tires so fat is out, if that's not a concern it's a great piece.

I purchased a Sportworks "FR/DH" rack that accommodates 3.0 tires in 2003 and it is still going strong on the back of a friends truck. Does not accommodate 29" wheels however and I think it weighs 60lbs. Now I've got this https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-2 and think it is better. Half the weight, US made, lifetime warranty. They also make a 4 bike version that folds up. Be warned however: Trailhead cred is considerably lower than with a Northshore (PS- have they started including Avid/Sram bleed kits with the purchase of a NS rack yet?)

Looking at the 1Up again, it's really the only way to go. Even the North Shore causes a lot of wear to your fork crown. Only cosmetic that I've seen but in theory it could go farther if precautions aren't taken. The 1Up ONLY contacts the tires and it's easily adjustable fore and aft to eliminate all contact between bikes. So well designed. Only drawback is the price. $1150 for A 4-bike in black. Fuck.
    If I lived near shuttle access trails and was routinely hauling 4 bikes, I'd definitely consider a North Shore style rack. It will definitely handle 4 big bikes on a gravel road better than the 1up. That said, there is no tray style rack that would do better than the 1up for that kind of use.
    From my limited experience with the NS Rack though, it's kind of a pain in the ass to lift bikes way up on to it. I know with certainty that I'd be loading my wife's bike every time. And unless you live in a mountain town, it looks kind of clunky hanging off the back of your rig.
    It all comes down to what you're doing most of the time with your rack. My rack is on the car 100% of the time, and 99% of the time it hauls 1 or 2 bikes when in use. My wife's car has a 1up as well, so I can pull a tray from that if we need to haul 3 bikes. If a friend is coming, they can bring their own tray.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Same here, it just won't quit. I did have to replace a couple of the brackets that hold the crossbeams on, but that was due to a reversing incident of my own doing and they were readily available cheap from etrailer.com. I'll replace it when it breaks, until then I have other priorities, but when it does die it will be NS or 1UP.
    I bought my T2 in 2007. It is getting a bit worse for wear, but still solid. I had to replace one bracket that holds a tray in place a few months ago, and occasionally the ratchet on the arms will loosen a notch or two. Very happy with it, but I have been thinking it should probably be replaced at some point. A friend recently decided to sell his T2 so I snapped it up. $350 for main rack plus 2 bike extension and locks, all in perfect shape.

Some of the other racks look nice but that is too good a deal to pass up. 1up seems ok but I don't like the release mechanism on them, the one my friend has already seems to be wearing out. Nice and compact though, and they ride high for better clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    1up seems ok but I don't like the release mechanism on them, the one my friend has already seems to be wearing out.
    Can you elaborate on this? Do you just mean the lever that allows you to hing the rack up or down?The racks are lifetime guarantee FWIW, and from my experience they're pretty awesome about standing behind it.

Yeah, the lever/release mechanism seemed really temperamental. Sometimes it seemed to get stuck and was really hard to get it to release.

WD40