Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    WD40
    Maybe that would work. My friend didn't seem bothered by it, so it probably isn't an issue. Maybe I am just a creature of habit, but I just like the T2 arm better.

One other thing I forgot to mention which could be much more serious is we had to keep tightening the expansion mechanism where the rack goes into my receiver, as it kept loosening. Driving up Shafer at the end of our Moab trip the whole rack had backed halfway out of the receiver. For the amount of driving I do on forest roads I need something more reliable than this. Friction doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Maybe that would work. My friend didn't seem bothered by it, so it probably isn't an issue. Maybe I am just a creature of habit, but I just like the T2 arm better.

One other thing I forgot to mention which could be much more serious is we had to keep tightening the expansion mechanism where the rack goes into my receiver, as it kept loosening. Driving up Shafer at the end of our Moab trip the whole rack had backed halfway out of the receiver. For the amount of driving I do on forest roads I need something more reliable than this. Friction doesn't cut it.
    Wait, does the 1Up not have a pin?
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

Your friend must be doing it wrong. I've had my 1UP for 3-4 years now. 0 issues with the release mechanism. 0 issues with the expansion mechanism (on 4 different vehicles.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Wait, does the 1Up not have a pin?
    Nope. Basically the same system as the Kuat racks with an expansion ball that tightens with a big hex wrench.
    I admit, mine has loosened a couple times after longer trips with a lot of dirt roads. I recently started using an old handlebar to get it tighter (per a phone call with 1up) and that solved the problem. It's definitely not the perfect rack, and as evdog said personal preference will always play into your choice. But there are very few minor issues and customer service is top notch.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Nope. Basically the same system as the Kuat racks with an expansion ball that tightens with a big hex wrench.
    I admit, mine has loosened a couple times after longer trips with a lot of dirt roads. I recently started using an old handlebar to get it tighter (per a phone call with 1up) and that solved the problem. It's definitely not the perfect rack, and as evdog said personal preference will always play into your choice. But there are very few minor issues and customer service is top notch.
    Say whaaaaaat?!?! I can't believe they don't use a pin just in case (the Kuat does). A standard pin is basically foolproof. A complicated mech like that isn't. Ugh.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Yeah, that's weird. Why would 1up NOT use a pin? Doesn't seem like there's any downside.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

I am curious how the Kuat arms failed did the ratcheting mechanism fail allowing the arm to extend and the fall down. I dont really see any other way for it to fail if installed properly. That said I just sold my NV to purchase a 1up. Nothing wrong with the Kuat I actually really liked it and had several years of use without any serious problem. I would have to put a little WD40 on the ratchet mechanism in the arm every once in a while but other then that it was a very solid rack. I also used the work stand several times. It is not great but works if you need to do a quick job.

I only went to a 1up so that I could use the hitch add on and run it on 2 different cars. Most the time I am only hauling one bike but the modular style allows me to move trays from one car to the other if needed. Now that we have kids my wife and I seem to be going different directions all the time so having a rack on each car was the deciding factor. Our daily cars are also small cars so the compactness and clearance of the 1up helped make the decision. I dont understand why no hitch pin is used, for the money a locking hitch pin is simple, secure and should be included.

My Kuat racheting arm failed on two of the arms. I called Kuat and they sent out replacements (just the plastic insides that have the teeth to engage) each time no questions asked. Fortunately I wasn't able to get them to engage when putting the bike on and was able to use the other tray while I waited a few days for the new one to show up.

The failure on my Kuat arms was that the ratchet would sometimes fail to engage, so that you could just pull the arm in and out without having to press the button to release it. If this happens when you're driving with a bike on the rack, the vibration causes the arm to slowly back out until the bike isn't held in place anymore at which point it topples off the rack and drags along (since it's still held to the rack by the rear strap).

They sent replacement arms, but they're identical to the originals that failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Yeah, that's weird. Why would 1up NOT use a pin? Doesn't seem like there's any downside.
    I don't believe you can get close to the same fit with a pin as you can with the threaded rod and ball that 1up uses. Having used one for a few years and living 5 miles out on a sometimes barely passable dirt road, I can confirm that the system works. I give it a little tightening every couple of weeks, but it's pretty bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    I don't believe you can get close to the same fit with a pin as you can with the threaded rod and ball that 1up uses. Having used one for a few years and living 5 miles out on a sometimes barely passable dirt road, I can confirm that the system works. I give it a little tightening every couple of weeks, but it's pretty bomber.
    Kuat uses the threaded rod/ball AND a pin. The pin is just a failsafe, in case you haven't tightened it enough. It's also a convenient place to attach a cable lock.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    So you can definitely buy the brass bushings for the Thule, I've replaced mine. Get them at home depot, about $40 for a set.
    Thule will send you new ones for free. At least last summer they were doing that. They sent me some other small parts at no charge as well.

Another T2 owner here who can't seem to kill this rack. I think I'm going on 5 years or so now, 0 issues, lots of rough roads.

Kuat uses the threaded rod/ball AND a pin. The pin is just a failsafe, in case you haven't tightened it enough. It's also a convenient place to attach a cable lock.
    Didn't know that. Redundancy is always a good thing. I do have a lock on the 1up as well that hides the Allen head, but would enjoy having a pin as well fornsure

Yea, I had the Kuat and for whatever reason the thing just never got even close to being as tight on the receiver as the 1up does. So to that extent the pin was nice. But it always wobbled like a motherfucker and I definitely didn't like crawling underneath the car to access the "convenient lock" that was integral with the pin. The velcro strap on the 1up is silly at first glance, but does what it should do, which is keep the thing from migrating out while it sinks into your brain that the rack has been wobbling more than it should and then get a chance to tighten it. Again, once I started using an old handlebar to get more leverage on the bolt, no more loose rack.

Seriously though, these are all passable products. If they weren't, the companies would die in our culture of people who don't hesitate to cash in on liability and warranty issues. Really it's just a matter of preference and living with whichever one you settled on in the first place. What I can tell you is, there are very few anecdotes of people moving from a 1up rack to another rack.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Who is selling their NV and upgrading to a 1up? Bonus points if you are located between Jackson and Burke.

I did but not because I didn't like the Kuat. I really liked the Kuat as well and it had some features i wish 1up had. I had the ratchet mechanism get stuck every once in a while but all it took was a little wd40 to keep it working smoothly. I don't see how the arm would release if it locked down against the tire while loading the bike. Just like anything mechanical it will need a little maintenance when exposed to rain/snow/dirt/road grime/etc.

I converted to 1up for the modular design. We use the add on hitch for a second car for when my wife and I go different directions with the kids.

I think the Kuat would last for many years. I had it for 4ish years and it showed very little signs of wear. Time will tell with the 1up. It looks and feels like it will last even longer but you never know.

Great review on Pinkbike of the 1up Quick Rack and a comparison of the Kuat and NV 2.0 and the Thule T2:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/1up-us...view-2017.html

Has anybody played with the wilco hitchswing? https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchswing/

It seems to provide a solution to my "problems": clearance/departure angle, likely clearance of tailgate w/o swingout, and full clearance of back with swingout.

Thoughts?

WD40 works great for the 1UP. Mine was a little sticky when I got it. The tiniest squirt of WD40 on a couple moving parts, and it's been fine since.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Has anybody played with the wilco hitchswing? https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchswing/

It seems to provide a solution to my "problems": clearance/departure angle, likely clearance of tailgate w/o swingout, and full clearance of back with swingout.

Thoughts?
    Bueller? Bueller? Wrong thread?

How would this happen while driving. Mine would sometimes do this but I would have to push the bottom in first then the spring mechanism on the ratchet would get stiff and not catch the teeth. If the ratchet worked when you closed the arm on the wheel I don't see how the ratchet would fail spontaneously while driving. I would just apply a little WD-40 when the ratchet got stuck, or about once a season if I was being diligent and trying to be preventative.

The failure on my Kuat arms was that the ratchet would sometimes fail to engage, so that you could just pull the arm in and out without having to press the button to release it. If this happens when you're driving with a bike on the rack, the vibration causes the arm to slowly back out until the bike isn't held in place anymore at which point it topples off the rack and drags along (since it's still held to the rack by the rear strap).

They sent replacement arms, but they're identical to the originals that failed.