Anyone Fly KLM With Skis Recently?

Thier baggage policy says 1 pair of skis and 1 pair of boots in place of a regular piece of checked luggage. Skis should be no issue I would think - I have 2 pair but they'll both be in the same bag and they're stupid light touring setups. My boots and day pack will be carry on even if I have to wear the boots through the airport (actually had to do that one once).

The question is: what constitutes boots in the free allowance? Will I be able to get away with filling a largeish boot/smallish duffel bag with other stuff? I do this all the time on other carriers but haven't flown KLM before.

Flying out of Calgary on the way out and Geneva on the way back FWIW.

Just be prepared to pay a luggage fee for the boot bag, if they open it up, because your boots are slung over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Just be prepared to pay a luggage fee for the boot bag, if they open it up, because your boots are slung over your shoulder.
    Yeah, that's the annoyance. It's easier to get away with on carriers that word their policy as 'one ski bag and one boot bag'.

I suppose the other option is to take advantage of the 300cm max length and just find a nice long ski bag that fits everything. For $120 cad each way I really, really don't want to pay that extra baggage fee.

Strap your boots together and sling them over your shoulder.
    Get a ski bag that will double as a suitcase.

At least you had the sense to fly KLM.

weird. LH and AC allow you to check the ski bag for free in addition to the one piece of free checked luggage (I paid $0). Watch the 50lb weight limit. carry on the boots in a bootbag/backpack. Then with a daypack, you have just as much carry on as the wankers with the double-decker roller bag setups. Try to win the battles for overhead space.