Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Sad story and sorry for your loss.

The transceiver, worn in a hip pocket, was found with the switch in the “search” position, for reasons unknown at this time. The victim deployed an avalanche balloon pack, but it was found to have sustained significant damage.
    This makes me wonder if an impact with a tree could have switched the transceiver mode.

I was just up in Canada skiing very similar terrain. It did not sound uncommon for the CMH guides to use beacon pockets instead of harnesses. One noted several of the comments above as to why it was their preference.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

RIP. Condolences to the family and friends of the one who passed away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    This.

And Manuel Genshwein checked for the existence of such a case... and couldn't find one. He made that point at a training I attended in 2010 along with the other points above and that is when I started putting my beacon in my pants.
    I thought of doing this, as quite a few guides I know do it. Then I spoke to one who was swept in an avalanche with his beacon in his pocket and it was broken from some sort of impact, even though he remained uninjured and on top at the end of it all. After some reflection, particularly on one of the stated purposes of using the harness correctly, I decided the negatives I could identify about the harness were outweighed by the 2 ways it minimizes the chance of damage.
    "Sometimes nuthin' is a real cool hand"

Quote Originally Posted by cultvo View Post
    RIP. Condolences to the family and friends of the one who passed away.

I thought of doing this, as quite a few guides I know do it. Then I spoke to one who was swept in an avalanche with his beacon in his pocket and it was broken from some sort of impact, even though he remained uninjured and on top at the end of it all. After some reflection, particularly on one of the stated purposes of using the harness correctly, I decided the negatives I could identify about the harness were outweighed by the 2 ways it minimizes the chance of damage.
    It's just as easy to come up with examples of the opposite. I had a member of my party get swept by a slide while skinning. It was warm, so he was down to his polypro and the beacon was therefore outside all his layers. He was buried up to his chest, so we found him quickly. His beacon was literally hanging by a thread on a boot buckle after the harness broke. It wasn't even that big of a slide. The beacon would have been more protected in a pants pocket. I can't imagine going back to a harness, for all the reasons that have been previously mentioned.

You could always carry a backup beacon: http://www.pieps.com/en/product/pieps-backup
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    It was warm, so he was down to his polypro and the beacon was therefore outside all his layers.
    I was looking at some pictures from earlier this week and busted myself being guilty of this. I know better, but managed to overlook it anyway. I like wearing a harness so I'll likely continue to use it but I'm going to be more diligent about it's placement. I also think I'm going to get some backup beacons.

I'm mostly a lurker in this forum, but wanted to let you guys know I appreciate the discussion and that I'm making some positive changes/improvements based on it. Thanks.

BACKUP BEACON:

I say it's a waste of $100. Plus, where will you wear it?

INSTEAD OF A BACKUP:
    1. Do a TH check every time
    2. Carry your beacon smartly
    3. Activate auto-revert (and understand how it works on your particular beacon).

Beacon transmit failures in avalanche accidents fall into 4 categories (from common to rare):
    1. Preventable by trailhead check
    2. Unsurvivably traumatic slides
    3. Preventable by auto-revert
    4. VERY rare other circumstances that I cannot give you a real-world example of

#4 is where a peips backup will really help
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    BACKUP BEACON:

I say it's a waste of $100. Plus, where will you wear it?

INSTEAD OF A BACKUP:
    1. Do a TH check every time
    2. Carry your beacon smartly
    3. Activate auto-revert (and understand how it works on your particular beacon).

Beacon transmit failures in avalanche accidents fall into 4 categories (from common to rare):
    1. Preventable by trailhead check
    2. Unsurvivably traumatic slides
    3. Preventable by auto-revert
    4. VERY rare other circumstances that I cannot give you a real-world example of

#4 is where a peips backup will really help
    I really like the group check function on the Element I just bought because it's performed on power up in send mode. This should prevent not switching back to send from search at the start of a tour. The automatic auto revert is a nice function too without having to go to a service center like the DSP Sport. I think the switch for power/send/search is smart and easy to use as well.

I've been a DSP Sport user for a couple of months so all this concerns me.

a. I've always worn a harness
    b. Peips recommends the switch goes toward the body
    c. I don't like that the harness switch conceals the "on light" which I feel is a good easy "am I on" self check.
    d. beacon checks are non-negotiable. IMO, many people do them wrong. The last person needs to "check the checker" and then everything should go silent. [I don't like the "everyone go on receive" check for multiple reasons].
    e. I don't find the switch confusing or difficult to operate but I am concerned about the "switch to search or off issue"
    f. Revert to send is a great feature but it requires on increase in awareness/education including, IMO, knowing who in your group has the system enables and knowing how to operate each one of your partners beacon. I consider it an "advanced" feature for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I've been a DSP Sport user for a couple of months so all this concerns me.
    Got a DSP Pro when the Black Diamond 40% code was going round.

Me too.

Combined with the clunkier design than the previous DSP and the worse harness and the fact that leash can't easily switch to work for use in pants pocket.

I'm not really very happy with the thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Got a DSP Pro when the Black Diamond 40% code was going round.

Me too.

Combined with the clunkier design than the previous DSP and the worse harness and the fact that leash can't easily switch to work for use in pants pocket.

I'm not really very happy with the thing.
    Element.