Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me decide - Praxis Protest (196cm) or DPS Lotus 120 Spoon (197cm)

Hoping to find some knowledge from folks on their opinions if they've had time on both - looking at the longest models from both these manufacturers. I've had some discussions with Keith who recommends the #4 flex for me on the Protest. Various reviews make both sound appealing; I'll be using them primarily around Tahoe, Utah/Colorado and British Columbia.

-Thanks, Todd
    Last edited by tallandmanley; 02-28-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Tough call. I may be the only person that didn't really like the DPS 120s (non spooned, hybrid version). I blame it on the pintail, which was cool only in the deepest of light powder, but I didn't like how it reacted to any heavier/wetter snow or variable conditions.

May not have been the ski's fault though. They were too short for me (184's), and were mounted with Dynafits, and I think the ramp angle may have contributed to me never feeling quite right on the ski.

To me, the protest seems a little more versatile, and could probably handle inbounds conditions a little better. I've never been on them though.

EDIT: Thought I'd throw in skis I've really liked. ON3P Jeffrey 110 has been my go-to do everything these past 4 ish years. In the BC I'm a fan of the Praxis BC. I would guess that means I'm a little more of a centered stance, playful skier, not a TGR super hardcore charger dude. Definitely charge when conditions call for it though.

We need more info. Height/weight, style, inbounds only vs touring only vs split, other skis in your quiver, other skis you've liked/disliked, etc.

Otherwise you'll just get a bunch of people telling you which one they liked better, which may or may not have anything to do with what you'll like.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    We need more info.
    6'9", 230lbs - been skiing for 40+ years (advanced/expert). Current quiver is small - 193cm Nordica Enforcer 100's (these have been a good all-mtn ski for me this season). 90% of my time is inbounds/side country skiing. Unfortunately I haven't had any experience demoing much on the market as putting myself on shorter length demo skis just seems to defeat the purpose for me.

I love the hybrid lotus 120 so much I bought 2 pair, got em in 184 for touring with verts and 190 with barons for the hill

I'm only 160lb but 190 is easy enough to ski everywhere, basicly you can do big turns or starve down completly sideways
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by tallandmanley View Post
    6'9", 230lbs - been skiing for 40+ years (advanced/expert). Current quiver is small - 193cm Nordica Enforcer 100's (these have been a good all-mtn ski for me this season). 90% of my time is inbounds/side country skiing. Unfortunately I haven't had any experience demoing much on the market as putting myself on shorter length demo skis just seems to defeat the purpose for me.
    FWIW I'm 6', 185lbs and skied the non-spoon 191 Lotus 124 Foundation at a WWSRA Demo at Snowbasin in absolute saturated shit snow conditions. I thought the tail seemed kinda short but that was the only complaint, could have been the snow, could just be me. They're super playful and intuitive compared to the Enforcer 100 which I also skied.

Never skied the Protest I but own a 2017 Beechwood GPO MAP #4 which I really really like, but plan on adding a Wailer 106 as a daily driver/slackcountry ski.

I had a pair of Lotus 120 Spoons in 189 and have a pair of Praxis Protests in 192. The L120s were the worst powder ski I have been on. I absolutely hated those skis. I am 6'1", 160lbs and found that I was continually folding the tips in deep powder. The stiff tail was very hooky and probably contributed to the feeling of tip fold. I am sure my issues with the ski are due to my weight vs height plus my propensity for driving the tips of my skis. At your weight, you might get along with the L120s just fine. Not so much for me.

The Protests are pretty nice and after I remounted them at -1cm they have been a fun ski. Their flex is a lot more uniform as opposed to the L120s which only seem to flex at the tips. The Protests are mounted up with some Vipecs as my BC setup. Since they are the UL Core and veneer top sheet they are pretty light for such a big ski. They are great in deep snow but get knocked around some when skiing in-bounds chopped up crud.

My daily driver for lift served skiing is a pair of ON3P Billy Goats in 186 and, for really deep days, the C&Ds in 193 which are an absolute blast! Both of these skis are just plain fun. If I was looking for one ski to rule them all it would probably be the Billy Goats in 191, or whatever they changed the length to this year, and mount them at back 1 to 1.5cm.

I have Praxis BCs (180, UL, stock/#2 flex) and 189 120 Spoons, both set up for touring. I'm 5'8" 160#. I haven't noticed the tip folding/diving Bfly has, but I tend to ski neutral/back. For your size, if you do get the Protest, I think the #4 flex would be right. My biggest gripe with the BC's #2 flex is it gets pushed around by Sierra cement. I only have a handful of days on the 120s, but have not yet had a day where I said to myself, "Damn, I should have brought my BCs instead." That might be different if they were longer/stiffer (i.e. skiing chop at resort), but take that as you will.

http://www.dpsskis.com/en/skis/brows...-mountain.html

I don't think the 124 Lotus is anything like the original lotus or even the present day 120 lotus becuz it would appear^^ that now Lotus is not just a ski ... its a family
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The dps carbon will be scary with cut up pow in Tahoe and leftovers elsewhere. The protest in std is a good resort ski. Carbon in that also got deflected for me.

Hybrid lotus 120 is the only DPS that is straight.

There are a lot of good pow skis too but if these two consider if it's more trees or open faces. Trees is protest and open faces more lotus unless your really good at directing a straight ski.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    http://www.dpsskis.com/en/skis/brows...-mountain.html

I don't think the 124 Lotus is anything like the original lotus or even the present day 120 lotus becuz it would appear^^ that now Lotus is not just a ski ... its a family
    Lotus has always been a family. The Lotus 120 and Lotus 138 were the two skis using that name to denote the more powder specific skis. They added the Spoon to that family and they've just added another one called the Lotus 124 and it is a departure from the Lotus 120 just as the Lotus 138 was back in the day it was introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    The dps carbon will be scary with cut up pow in Tahoe and leftovers elsewhere. The protest in std is a good resort ski. Carbon in that also got deflected for me.

Hybrid lotus 120 is the only DPS that is straight.

There are a lot of good pow skis too but if these two consider if it's more trees or open faces. Trees is protest and open faces more lotus unless your really good at directing a straight ski.

This is a very good assessment. I own several DPS skis and Several Praxis skis, not the Protests but the Powders. A good friend skis the Protests and I have tried them. They are much more damp and pivoty/slarvey than the Lotus 120 and are very competent in both powder and cut up cruddy snow. The 120's have never been great at dealing with those conditions. That makes the Protest much more versatile.

Go read the Praxis Protest thread. Not a single bad review. The Protest is the gold standard of inbounds powder skis. Most powder skis are great in anything over 12" of untracked during your first three runs, but what really matters is the remainder of the day. The tracked and chopped pow is where the Protest will really show you that you made the right decision.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=266534

I love my 196s, standard build.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I love my Protests. Only ski I could never see selling/trading.

If there is no binding hole conflict, snag these .... solid deal on what you're looking for...
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...is-Protest-196
    Last edited by N1CK.; 03-01-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Ez question. Protest. I wouldn't trade that ski for anything. 5 mph or 500 it's comfy

The lotus 120 is the best pow ski I have ever skied. Not skied the protest but have skied the ARG a fair amount.

Get the lotus if you like driving the tips and going fast, the protest if you ski more centred and ski a lot of trees and don't care about hard snow versatility. The 120's aren't good on the hard, but they are acceptable for a few laps-my ARG's were acceptable enough to ski down a run to go home...

I have a few days on the 120, own and LOVE the 191FAT, more so than the 120, just outperforms it everywhere. With that said, my ProTest are my new favorite pow ski! What the ProTest gives up in firm snow performance to the 191, MORE than makes up for it in the soft. It's just so damn easy and stoopid fun. It crushes in low density pow as well as high density cement. Be lazy and just mob around, smash fucking face and smash the pedal, it doesn't give a fuck.
    Like grinch said, 5-500, comfy.

Have both 196 #4 MAP protests and 190 Flex3 pure 120s.

No contest for inbounds action. Ptest every time. I do Like the 120s a lot for pow touring and un molested snow but the Praxis core/build /shape just nails it for both pristine and well used pow. They are my personal hovercraft and far more competent on the traverses or return groomers than say a pow/138/arg

Do you hate fuck the mountain relentlessly without any lube? Lotus. That tail isn't fucking around.

Do you want to work your way into the mountain's warm embrace and passionately twerk her out? Protest.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

At your height and weight, you need by 196s #4 flex Protests. They are too stiff for my liking, but at your weight they should be money. I think most other options will be too soft for resort use.

OK,acknowleding I have a Praxis fetish...

I have not spent time on any of the tip spooned skis. But I have spent time on concave base skis - 3D Powderboards, Garywaynes, and a few laps on Boomerang TBTs. I think something else too - but I do not remember. For my .02, the biggest benefit of a concave base happens near and under foot. So while I won't dismiss the spoon tips - not having skied them - I know where concave bases come into play for me.

On bigger days I sort of toss a coin between 3D Powderboards and Protests. The three other active skiers in the family use Protests almost exclusively on big days. Between us, we've had a decent amount of time on Pontoons, ARGs, 138 redlines, EP Pros, a couple generations of Hellbents, Garywaynes, Bentchetlers, Rocker 2s, Kuros, etc.... And an assortment of random demos.

Without a doubt, the Protest is the most admired ski that has ever been in the family fleet. It is the only ski that everyone has. They ski just fine on anything other than icy groomers. They are actually a hoot on soft spring groomers. The build is tough as nails - and we've used them a ton over the years.

My experience with DPS was some time ago as an owner of 138 Redlines. I liked them a ton. They were among the skis that changed my world. But in the end I preferred both Protests and Powderboards.

Never had a chance to ski the 120s. However, I am a fan of the 124s. Like the comments below describe they are playful and intuitive. However, I don't use them as my resort pow ski- more of a heli/cat/ deep touring ski. I don't find the tail on the 124 unmanageable albeit somewhat short (especially with my mount of -2.5). They have performed adequately on chopped up snow but still a little too light for an inbounds option imo.

Just grabbed a pair of protests that I feel are more suitable for all of the above situations and in bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by jvskinn View Post
    Tough call. I may be the only person that didn't really like the DPS 120s (non spooned, hybrid version). I blame it on the pintail, which was cool only in the deepest of light powder, but I didn't like how it reacted to any heavier/wetter snow or variable conditions.

May not have been the ski's fault though. They were too short for me (184's), and were mounted with Dynafits, and I think the ramp angle may have contributed to me never feeling quite right on the ski.
    I had the same set up and also didn't like it - shimming the dyna toes didn't help either, I just didn't like the ski and how unwilling the tail was to slash out (though I had thought that the dyna heels/play between pins and boot probably exacerbate that).

Still, tail rocker > pin tail IMO

Help me decide - Praxis Protest (196cm) or DPS Lotus 120 Spoon (197cm)

How would the Bibby compare to the protest ?
    I find the bibby to be able to ski fresh and broken powder charge or slarve on demand and carve a groomer really well for a 116 mm waist so much fun and predictable as long as you are centered or a bit forward
    Last edited by yellofin; 03-02-2017 at 06:54 AM.

Thanks for all the opinions/knowledge/feedback - I'm going to give the Protests a try!