Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to do for edge damage (possible beginning of delam)

Hey just got done for the day and notice done edge damage.

Edge seems to be separated from the sidewall maybe 2-3mm can feel the base having been pushed down.

Must have hit a rock or tree stump.

Will post a pic in a second.

Really you can take that to a shop and they can probably epoxy the delam back together. Are you saying that the base though has a bump in it, like something split? Can't say 100% without seeing it yet though. May I also ask what you were riding? Just curious... :P

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170227_181504.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	575.0 KB 
ID:	201207

It's a 2014 or so Blizzard Bodacious, bomber ski. I think it might have happened on a traverse, it's the inside edge so I think I might of caught it on a branch or rock.

Would I just need to clamp and expoy it or what?

You can repair this at home, but your ski will never be flat again unless you let a shop stone grind it.

Home repair:
    1) Let ski dry really well
    2) Insert slow set 2-part epoxy
    3) Clamp the piss out of the operation. You cannot have too many clamps. Use lots of clamps.
    4) Let it dry for a nice long time.

If you take it to a shop, they'll do steps 1-4, then put your ski through a stone grinder to make the base flat again. Might as well stone grind both skis as long as you're going through the effort.

It'll be fine to ski on them for like a day before I fix it though?

I'd add that using a hairdryer before hand to make sure it's dry in there is good. Use it again to keep the epoxy runny so it really gets in there.
    Use a C clamp and some kind of pressure plates to distribute the force. Metal scrapers, if you have them.
    Also, that pic kinda makes it look like there's still some wood (not the core) in there? Definitely get that out. Xacto knives are good for cleaning out ski wounds and removing the jagged edges, if necessary.
    Good luck!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    It'll be fine to ski on them for like a day before I fix it though?
    This is why ski hills have demo shops.

99% chance you'd have no issues.
    1% chance everything + femur assplodes.

How long do I need to clamp it for? Would doing it tonight and keeping it clamped until the morning be fine? Skis are pretty dry and I can dry them out with a heat gun (far from the ski and low) I've got lying around.

Edit: Ah fuck, from reading a bit seems that'd not be nearly long enough so kind of a stupid idea.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I'd add that using a hairdryer before hand to make sure it's dry in there is good. Use it again to keep the epoxy runny so it really gets in there.
    Use a C clamp and some kind of pressure plates to distribute the force. Metal scrapers, if you have them.
    Also, that pic kinda makes it look like there's still some wood (not the core) in there? Definitely get that out. Xacto knives are good for cleaning out ski wounds and removing the jagged edges, if necessary.
    Good luck!

I would
    -dry the ski and heat up the hit with a gun or a hair dryer
    - pry it open
    -get a bunch of the best slow set epoxy in there
    - clamp it for 24hrs
    - insted of trying to make it flat or pretending the ski ain't fucked just run that ski so the edge with the hit is always an outside edge and start shopping for new skis
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You also need to flatten out the bottom layer of Titanal which is holding the ski open and clean out any debris before you start using epoxy. I would let it dry for several days after the last time you skied it and let it stay clamped for at least a day (as in 24 hours) after gluing. And start saving up for next year's Bodacious which will ski about the same as that ski.

I mean there's only about 30 days on this ski.... It's pretty much new, picked it up from another mag who basically never skied it.

How much does a shop usually charge for a repair like this, think they'll do any better job than I would cause I really don't want this ski to be a goner in one season

Right now this thing is my daily driver, so it'd suck donkey dick not to be able to shred on it

don't matter how many days on the ski you hit it on a rock so maybe a ski shop could get those metal layers straighter but so could you, otherwise a ski shop is gona charge you $$ , will probably thro it in the rack for awhile and isnt gona do much better than you could do ... it was your daily driver

Trueeee, well time to be on the lookout for a new set of sticks.

Anyone have a good guide for pressing a delam for now though?

When you think they're dry...Let them dry more. When you think the epoxy is set..Let it set longer.

The steps have been listed in pretty good detail above. Give em a slim grind and keep that edge on outside. Bet you'll be fine for longer than you think.

$50-$75 for repair at the shop, including the stone grind. Mostly you're paying off the loan on their stone tuning machine. Which is pretty useful in this case.

I can get a grind for $25, I'd rather fix the ski myself and then pay for a grind. Plus I can always buy the c clamps, use them, and return them to make my repair basically free.

I can get a grind for $25, I'd rather fix the ski myself and then pay for a grind. Plus I can always buy the c clamps, use them, and return them to make my repair basically free.
    Naw, keep the clamps. You'll need them again, judging by your user name.

True. Good news is I worked at it a bit and I got the titanal layer flattened out, gonna let it dry out and hit it with the heat gun then clamp it in the morning.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about this, it's not actually delamed that bad and it was mostly sticking up because titanal was pushed up.

I'll probably still get a base grind but we'll see.

True. Good news is I worked at it a bit and I got the titanal layer flattened out, gonna let it dry out and hit it with the heat gun then clamp it in the morning.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about this, it's not actually delamed that bad and it was mostly sticking up because titanal was pushed up.

I'll probably still get a base grind but we'll see.
    Google up 'PSA: fix your own fucking edge compression'. Might be useful info in that thread

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    returning the clamps after using them would lame.
    Yup. My mom owns more C-clamps than OP.

Its hard to tell with your pic but you might not need a base grind, it might be pointless cuz if you always use that damaged edge for your outside edge you would not ever be using that edge so why thro money at a grind ?

Didn't bother trying to hammer it out, casue it was pretty flat once I bend the titanal back as best I could.

Threw the epoxy and clamps on and now I wait.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170227_233512.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	924.8 KB 
ID:	201269

I might have used a longer stiffer piece of something to spread out the pressure of the clamps but basically you got it going

Two pieces of 1/8" plate steel and 4x the amount of clamps + some blue painters tape on the base and topsheet would help on cleanup, but looks like your already ahead.

Figure I'll just keep an eye on it, if it starts to get a little screwy I'll cut out this repair and redo it.

Probing it with an x-acto knife I the delam was only about 2 inches long and about half the blade length deep.

Coming to terms with the way I like to ski I'm just going to keep trashing skis, so getting good at repairs like this will just be the name of the game.