Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Didn't bother trying to hammer it out, casue it was pretty flat once I bend the titanal back as best I could.

Threw the epoxy and clamps on and now I wait.

Attachment 201269
    Shops use 4mm steel scrapers for this, not acrylic . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Shops use 4mm steel scrapers for this, not acrylic . . .
    You're right... and I just used what I had lying around. Odds are it'll either hold or I have to redo it which isn't the end of the world

Needs more clamps. Clamps!

Threw the epoxy and clamps on and now I wait.
    Attachment 201269

Dude, 1 of those right on the middle and 2 steel scrapers on either side is what you want. Tighten it down hard.
    All that stuff comes in handy for other things too: base repair, doing your brakes, etc.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

The OP keeps saying he'll just try again.

This strikes me as something you only get one shot at.

Been reading this thread on a small screen, and (viewing on a large screen) I just caught the use of a plastic scraper. If the OP used enough clamping force, he would have cracked the plastic. Why do people insist on taking shortcuts? I don't get either rushing the repair, or compromising it to save a couple of bucks when you take into account the price of replacing a pair of skis.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Feel free to Jong me

Should I have went and found a piece of metal to do it with... yah probably (had a thick metal ruler I used on the back), in retrospect yah should have used more clamps and more pressure... Though I did clamp beyond both ends of the damage but still yes probably should have.

That said this is a learning experience and what I've done is done (I'll be more patient next time), we'll see how this repair goes though. The edge is displaced down about a little less than a millimeter or so...

Here's a pic from right now as I just filed off the epoxy on the edge, going to try and ski it tomorrow

Obviously you can clearly see where the titanal is still a little bent, and where yah it probably could have used more compression, shitty job was a shitty job but I'll just hope it holds for a while. Buying new skis post-season anyways so let's hope I can finish it out with these
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170301_211239.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	782.9 KB 
ID:	201371

yeah thats sticking up a lot so you would be grinding a lot of base/edge to flaten that so I don't think you wana grind it ...just run it on the outside

I would have probably tried to take out that bend in the edge by putting a screwdriver in the crack 1 " either side of the hit and then cranking down on the hit with a clamp to possibly (easy to say from here ?) straighten out the edge and then yeah some longer/stiffer metal to clamp on the seperation

but its done SO ...good try!!
    '
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You don't get anywhere without failing a few times first haha.

Straight up fucked it, but we'll see how long it lasts. Should always have the option of just cutting out that area of the base / edge and replacing. This is why I need to get a quiver going, won't be so damn impatient with my repairs

You don't get anywhere without failing a few times first haha.

Straight up fucked it, but we'll see how long it lasts. Should always have the option of just cutting out that area of the base / edge and replacing. This is why I need to get a quiver going, won't be so damn impatient with my repairs
    Shoulda checked out that thread I told you to google

Repaired hundreds of delams of all sorts over the years and I gotta say I've used metal for clamping(hot patches) slightly more than lexan(never).

Most of the suggestions are on point, I would also recommend swapping skis so it's now the outside edge.

I mean there's only about 30 days on this ski.... It's pretty much new, picked it up from another mag who basically never skied it.

How much does a shop usually charge for a repair like this, think they'll do any better job than I would cause I really don't want this ski to be a goner in one season

Right now this thing is my daily driver, so it'd suck donkey dick not to be able to shred on it
    Shop would probably charge around $40 or so for the fix is my guess, while your there they are gonna try and sell you on like a solid $80 worth of more fixes that are pretty much worthless too.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Shoulda checked out that thread I told you to google

Repaired hundreds of delams of all sorts over the years and I gotta say I've used metal for clamping(hot patches) slightly more than lexan(never).
    Yah I fucked up and did it before reading the thread, great knowledge there.

As to Zennan saying the shop would try to uprchage me, they've mounted my skis for $25 and done around $200 free work on my boots because I bought them there, not worried about them fucking me ever. Serious shoutout to Sports Den in SLC.

We gave you exact instructions and you fucked it up. I feel like that should be called "Pulling a Dunfee," but an alternate meaning to straightlining is also possible.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.