Most effective sit-ups/Ab work out?

After seeing all the commercials about ab loungers and super magic equipment for that perfect ab workout, it got me thinking... do they really work, or are good ol' get down on the floor and grunt sit-ups just as good? What are some of your ab routines? Equipment or no equipment? How often do you do them?

I was actually considering an ab lounge. I checked one out at Gart's once and did a couple reps. It seems to really get you going and it's nice that you can lay back more than 180 degrees to get a good stretch. I usually ignore stuff like that as gimmicks, but this one intrigues me. Anyone have one?
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Get on an exercise ball and let him rip.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

most effective sit-up regimen?

DOING THEM EVERY DAY.

After my morning shower (avoid visualizations, plz), I do straight crunches to failure, then obliques / diagonal crunches to failure, then alternating elbow to opposite knee (looks like i'm pedaling a bike)

keeps the gut taut.

or just buy a Men's Journal. they seem to offer articles every issue.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Get on an exercise ball and let him rip.
    I second TS's rec. Exercise balls get the job done. Good for reverse lower back crunches as well.

bklyn is online now who guards the guardians?
    I got a thigh master for sale....

The exercise ball is more difficult for me than the ab roller that's become a clothes rack in my house. I need to give it a couple of weeks before the final verdict is in.

Might as well give it a try, it's cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    ... do they really work
    no.

use an exercise ball, or nothing
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

Use a combination of crunches/sit-ups for upper abs and some kind of leg/knee raises for lower abs. And make sure to concentrate on letting the ab muscles do the work
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

[QUOTE=Tap]most effective sit-up regimen?

DOING THEM EVERY DAY.QUOTE.

I've heard different theories on whether to work the abs everyday or give then some rest like other weight training.What's the concensus out there?
    Calmer than you dude

A couple things I've heard:

after you start doing 30 reps without being sore, you need to add weight which can be done with a dumbell over your head.

the bicycle pedal ones are supposedly significantly more effective than the standard crunch

always keep your head looking up at the ceiling

Six Minute Abs

I picked this one up from one of the guys on my crew a couple years ago. It hurts... you'll be sore for a couple days the first few times you try it.

Here is the original exercise: 6 Minute Abs

We modified it a bit for simplicity.

Start off with 30 seconds of Scissors Leg Lifts (keep your feet about 6" off the ground). Then do 30 seconds of reverse crunches (from leg lift position pull knees in towards chest, then extend legs towards ceiling and lift lower torso off the ground). Follow with 30 seconds of Side to Side crunches. And 30 seconds of Pikes (laying flat with arms and legs extended lift both arms and legs together to meet at midline). Repeat 3 times without stopping for maximum pain. Does that make sense?

I usually do this every other day. I think abs, like any other muscle tissue need time to repair between workouts.
    "College degree. Good job. Big house. We all make mistakes..."

www.lizmarshall.zenfolio.com

And of course, don't forget that you have oblique muscles as well. Any kind of twisting excercise works well for those. For any kind of strength training I would highly recommend Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding as a great reference.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Start training for a front lever. One of two things will happen:
    You get hideously strong abs and are able to do a front lever.

You get hideously strong abs even though you still can't do a front lever.
    A lot of people earn their turns. Some just get bigger checks.