Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What the hell is there to do in Cleveland?

I am heading to Cleveland in the morning for 6 days of work. When I am not working what is there to do? What should I see? Where should I eat? Any good music venues?
    FYI I have tickets to tomorrow nights Cavs game, so I have that covered. Also I assume I should visit the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? I thought about walking by the stadium where my Cubs won their first World Series in my lifetime (thought I would rub it in a little)
    Thanks for any ideas!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Do you mountain bike at all? Spend a few hours at Ray's MTB one evening, they have DJ bikes you can rent.

Hastily made Cleveland tourism video tells you everything you need to know.

Drive down to Cincinnati and we can go for beers (and hookers and blow, of course).
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Got about 4 months to say "How about those Cavs?"

That Cleveland promo video is great.

Last edited by Vt-Freeheel; 02-26-2017 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add props
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    That is fucking fantastic!!!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Was only there once, a good while ago, saw Larry Coryell somewhere down on the Flats....

Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears

options at the Music Box
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I am heading to Cleveland in the morning for 6 days of work. When I am not working what is there to do? What should I see? Where should I eat? Any good music venues?
    FYI I have tickets to tomorrow nights Cavs game, so I have that covered. Also I assume I should visit the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? I thought about walking by the stadium where my Cubs won their first World Series in my lifetime (thought I would rub it in a little)
    Thanks for any ideas!
    Been a couple decades since I've lived in NE Ohio but I get back to see family often, let me touch base with a few people to make sure my recs are still up to date and I'll post below. It's a fun town that's definitely seeing a long deserved resurgence.

Forget the old jokes (or embrace them) and enjoy the city it's pretty great if you aren't locked into bi-coastal stereotypes from people who have never been there. Is it Paris? Fuck no. But it's not supposed to be. You're going at a tough time of year too but it looks like you'll be in for some good weather glancing at AccuWeather.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Do you mountain bike at all? Spend a few hours at Ray's MTB one evening, they have DJ bikes you can rent.
    I don't bike but this place is insane. http://www.raysmtb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    While these are about 15 years old they still kill me. Part 2 is even better in my opinion. "At least we're not Detroit! WE'RE NOT DETROIT!"

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Drive down to Cincinnati and we can go for beers (and hookers and blow, of course).
    Cincinnati is a 3.5 hour trip that will only net you heroin and opiates. But there is better acces to bourbon. Could be a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Got about 4 months to say "How about those Cavs?"
    World Champions Cleveland Cavaliers; down 3 games
    To 1 in the greatest comeback in Finals history. say it with me
    I still call it The Jake.

The Cleve!

Thanks for any ideas!
    Should ask. Where's work and where are you staying?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Should ask. Where's work and where are you staying?
    I need to find out where my meetings are, i suppose that would be important right? Im staying at a Holiday Inn on Euclid (right downtown)

I need to find out where my meetings are, i suppose that would be important right? Im staying at a Holiday Inn on Euclid (right downtown)
    Ha! Yeah, but it's not too big of a city that getting around will be any trouble.

Here's some initial thoughts. I'm far from the only native NE Ohian here so I'm sure you'll get many more. Holiday Inn on Euclid at the Clinic? Enjoy the finest healthcare facility in the world in my opinion. Even if you're not doing business there, stroll over to the main buildings to check out the world class art collection the Clinic has on display all over the place - they can point you around and I think there's even audio/video aids.

You got Cavs game on the list so there's a big one. You can see the home of the AL Champion Cleveland Indians about 50 feet across the street from there where the Cubs nearly escaped a fantastic extra innings defeat in game 7 of the World Series last year thanks to a conveniently timed rain delay and Joe Buck's homoerotic infatuation with Kyle Schwarber.

Eats/Drink:

E 4th St is a great hub downtown. Pedestrian only street. Michael Symon's flagship Lola is there - yes, it's incredible, and James Beard winner Jonathan Sawyer's Greenhouse Tavern is out of this world good. Here's what I had last time I was there:

(not my pic, but holy fuck was it great.)

It's really a great food city. Lot's of insanely talented chefs that either came from there or came back to there after being in other great spots. Shit, Michael Ruhlman lives there and it don't get much better than him when it comes to deciding what is and isn't good with food.

Head across the bridge to Ohio City and the West Side Market, http://westsidemarket.org/ over 100 years old and truly great. So much good food and a beautiful building. I'd recommend Steve's Gyros. Bourdain and Ruhlman love this stall. So did that guy from man vs food, I think he ate a few of em which is hard to believe because they're huge.

While over in Ohio City/Tremont Area check out Velvet Tango Room for excellent cocktails.

For a really, really great Tiki Bar experience you should go to Porco Lounge not far from there too. The drinks are fucking awesome and will put you on your ass if you're not careful. (The bar is a thousand times better than their website apparently)

You can't get much better beer than at Great Lakes Brewing Company, and their brewery/pub is around the corner from the Market too. https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/ They're one of the oldies in the business for sure and really good beers, no doubt.

Oh, before I forget, NoodleCat: Jonathan Sawyer's noodle/ramen bar by public square is really good. Although there's lots of really good shit not far from the Clinic where you are in Asia Town. http://www.stclairsuperior.org/neigh...ts-in-asiatown

They just remade Public Square at the heart of downtown. You may have seen it full of 1.3M people for the Cav's championship parade or the uneventful RNC. I believe ice skating and eats will be happening there now.

I've never been to the Rock Hall but I hear it's definitely worth it.

In terms of culture you will be no doubt impressed with the Cleveland Museum of Art. The recent recipient of $100M in renovations and endowments I have to say it's stunning. Well worth a stop. The entire area called University Circle (surrounding Case Western Reserve University) is worth checking out. The Art Museum, the architecture, the university, the eats (L'Abatros is oustanding french, Trentina great Italian) and if you can, check out a performance of the Cleveland Orchestra - consistently ranked among the world's best (and I know fuck all about symphonies, just that I've heard them a lot growing up and they're amazing) and Severence Hall went under some ungodly million dollar renovation recently that made it even more gorgeous.

The thing to keep in mind in that whole area is the industrialists that made Cleveland what it was at it's height. Rockefeller, Carnegie, Mellon... they all made this city home and dumped tons of resources into it. (also Millionaire's row is the birthplace of our nation's zoning laws! only interesting to dentistry scholars). If you've got a car and time to kill keep driving uphill from University Circle to Cedar-Fairmont then to Clevland Heights then to Shaker Heights to admire neighborhood after neighborhood of insanely gorgeous old mansions.

Close to you too is Little Italy. Definitely worth eating/walking around. Everyone loves La Dolce Vita but I recently ate at Nora and it blows it away.

Back towards downtown, if you want to meet douchebags there's the Warehouse District, although I'm sure there's normal people too. Last summer I saw that the Flats have been resurrected! Hallelujah! At least the East Bank. While it's not the nightclub, yachts rafted off 4 deep, people dying in the river from alcohol toxicity halcyon days of my late 90s youth, it was great to see rail service and new residences and restaurants all over the Flats. If the weather is good it might be worth heading down. Definitely more enjoyable being on the water in nicer weather in my opinion.

Entertainment; just off the top of my head there's no comparison to the Agora Theatre/Ballroom. This is OG historical https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agora_...e_and_Ballroom and worth catching just about anyone there.

My last trip up I caught a show at The Beachland Ballroom, a really cool small space east of downtown. And looking at the website it looks like mothafuckin GZA of the Wu Tang Clan! is plaing there tonight! Fuck, I'd check that out!

Cleveland actually has a really great music scene. Pick up a Scene newspaper anywhere and see who's playing. The Grog Shop on Coventry usually gets some fun shows too. Also two doors down is a great wine bar called La Cave du Vin underground. - Cleveland Heights.

Been since the holidays since I've been in the area but normally this time of year I'd say go check out the shoreline of Lake Erie in wintertime. It's truly bizarre and looks like that frozen planet from Star Wars. This year, not so much. You may be able to head out on a charter and catch yourself some tasty ass walleye or perch. Wave to ice fishers closer to Canada depending on how far out you go.

I'll add more as I get tips from my fam and in-laws in town I reached out to to see what's going on.
    Last edited by BmillsSkier; 02-26-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Cincinnati is a 3.5 hour trip that will only net you heroin and opiates. But there is better acces to bourbon.
    Well, hookers and bourbon, then. And 3.5 hours?! You've never driven with me.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Well, hookers and bourbon, then. And 3.5 hours?! You've never driven with me.
    I like your style. Personal best from my hometown (southeast of CLE) to Cincy was 3 hours flat. Let me see if I can find a Delta deal and an acceptable rental car in CLE and you've got a deal to meet you in Cincy for some Skyline.

That is fucking fantastic!!!
    Oh man. Hardest I've laughed at the internet in a long while.

I like your style. Personal best from my hometown (southeast of CLE) to Cincy was 3 hours flat. Let me see if I can find a Delta deal and an acceptable rental car in CLE and you've got a deal to meet you in Cincy for some Skyline.
    I'll pass on the Skyline. Otherwise, we're fuckin' on!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Oh man. Hardest I've laughed at the internet in a long while.
    You must see the sequel then. As old as they are I still laugh my ass off at em.

I'll pass on the Skyline. Otherwise, we're fuckin' on!
    No Skyline? Fuck you man! I thought this was shaping up to be a Smokey and The Bandit type Run south.

I guess it still can be. Just for hookers and bourbon. I'll eat the chili, you don't have to. It's cool.

You are a couple of days late weather wise to hit up Boston Mills for their vast (300 vertical feet) of skiing.

Warehouse District for food choices still pretty diverse.

Great Lakes Science Center, Cleveland Museum of Art and Cleveland Museum of Natural History if the Rock and Roll is not your thing for Museums.

No Skyline? Fuck you man! I thought this was shaping up to be a Smokey and The Bandit type Run south.

I guess it still can be. Just for hookers and bourbon. I'll eat the chili, you don't have to. It's cool.
    Hey, I grew up in Los Angeles, Mexico. Completely different standard of chilli and spice out there. Plus, we don't throw that shit on spaghetti. WTF's up with that. No wonder USC always beats Ohio State- the Buckeye players always have the shits.

Lemme know when you're driving down.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    carp
    they live in beautiful places and the ghetto too
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Ha! Yeah, but it's not too big of a city that getting around will be any trouble.

Here's some initial thoughts. I'm far from the only native NE Ohian here so I'm sure you'll get many more. Holiday Inn on Euclid at the Clinic? Enjoy the finest healthcare facility in the world in my opinion. Even if you're not doing business there, stroll over to the main buildings to check out the world class art collection the Clinic has on display all over the place - they can point you around and I think there's even audio/video aids.

You got Cavs game on the list so there's a big one. You can see the home of the AL Champion Cleveland Indians about 50 feet across the street from there where the Cubs nearly escaped a fantastic extra innings defeat in game 7 of the World Series last year thanks to a conveniently timed rain delay and Joe Buck's homoerotic infatuation with Kyle Schwarber.

Eats/Drink:

E 4th St is a great hub downtown. Pedestrian only street. Michael Symon's flagship Lola is there - yes, it's incredible, and James Beard winner Jonathan Sawyer's Greenhouse Tavern is out of this world good. Here's what I had last time I was there:

(not my pic, but holy fuck was it great.)

It's really a great food city. Lot's of insanely talented chefs that either came from there or came back to there after being in other great spots. Shit, Michael Ruhlman lives there and it don't get much better than him when it comes to deciding what is and isn't good with food.

Head across the bridge to Ohio City and the West Side Market, http://westsidemarket.org/ over 100 years old and truly great. So much good food and a beautiful building. I'd recommend Steve's Gyros. Bourdain and Ruhlman love this stall. So did that guy from man vs food, I think he ate a few of em which is hard to believe because they're huge.

While over in Ohio City/Tremont Area check out Velvet Tango Room for excellent cocktails.

For a really, really great Tiki Bar experience you should go to Porco Lounge not far from there too. The drinks are fucking awesome and will put you on your ass if you're not careful. (The bar is a thousand times better than their website apparently)

You can't get much better beer than at Great Lakes Brewing Company, and their brewery/pub is around the corner from the Market too. https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/ They're one of the oldies in the business for sure and really good beers, no doubt.

Oh, before I forget, NoodleCat: Jonathan Sawyer's noodle/ramen bar by public square is really good. Although there's lots of really good shit not far from the Clinic where you are in Asia Town. http://www.stclairsuperior.org/neigh...ts-in-asiatown

They just remade Public Square at the heart of downtown. You may have seen it full of 1.3M people for the Cav's championship parade or the uneventful RNC. I believe ice skating and eats will be happening there now.

I've never been to the Rock Hall but I hear it's definitely worth it.

In terms of culture you will be no doubt impressed with the Cleveland Museum of Art. The recent recipient of $100M in renovations and endowments I have to say it's stunning. Well worth a stop. The entire area called University Circle (surrounding Case Western Reserve University) is worth checking out. The Art Museum, the architecture, the university, the eats (L'Abatros is oustanding french, Trentina great Italian) and if you can, check out a performance of the Cleveland Orchestra - consistently ranked among the world's best (and I know fuck all about symphonies, just that I've heard them a lot growing up and they're amazing) and Severence Hall went under some ungodly million dollar renovation recently that made it even more gorgeous.

The thing to keep in mind in that whole area is the industrialists that made Cleveland what it was at it's height. Rockefeller, Carnegie, Mellon... they all made this city home and dumped tons of resources into it. (also Millionaire's row is the birthplace of our nation's zoning laws! only interesting to dentistry scholars). If you've got a car and time to kill keep driving uphill from University Circle to Cedar-Fairmont then to Clevland Heights then to Shaker Heights to admire neighborhood after neighborhood of insanely gorgeous old mansions.

Close to you too is Little Italy. Definitely worth eating/walking around. Everyone loves La Dolce Vita but I recently ate at Nora and it blows it away.

Back towards downtown, if you want to meet douchebags there's the Warehouse District, although I'm sure there's normal people too. Last summer I saw that the Flats have been resurrected! Hallelujah! At least the East Bank. While it's not the nightclub, yachts rafted off 4 deep, people dying in the river from alcohol toxicity halcyon days of my late 90s youth, it was great to see rail service and new residences and restaurants all over the Flats. If the weather is good it might be worth heading down. Definitely more enjoyable being on the water in nicer weather in my opinion.

Entertainment; just off the top of my head there's no comparison to the Agora Theatre/Ballroom. This is OG historical https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agora_...e_and_Ballroom and worth catching just about anyone there.

My last trip up I caught a show at The Beachland Ballroom, a really cool small space east of downtown. And looking at the website it looks like mothafuckin GZA of the Wu Tang Clan! is plaing there tonight! Fuck, I'd check that out!

Cleveland actually has a really great music scene. Pick up a Scene newspaper anywhere and see who's playing. The Grog Shop on Coventry usually gets some fun shows too. Also two doors down is a great wine bar called La Cave du Vin underground. - Cleveland Heights.

Been since the holidays since I've been in the area but normally this time of year I'd say go check out the shoreline of Lake Erie in wintertime. It's truly bizarre and looks like that frozen planet from Star Wars. This year, not so much. You may be able to head out on a charter and catch yourself some tasty ass walleye or perch. Wave to ice fishers closer to Canada depending on how far out you go.

I'll add more as I get tips from my fam and in-laws in town I reached out to to see what's going on.
    Great post... i went to school not far from Cleveland and there are some good suggestions here.

I also second the Velvet Tango Room suggestion. They made vintage style craft cocktails before it was cool, and great people to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    You are a couple of days late weather wise to hit up Boston Mills for their vast (300 vertical feet) of skiing.

Warehouse District for food choices still pretty diverse.

Great Lakes Science Center, Cleveland Museum of Art and Cleveland Museum of Natural History if the Rock and Roll is not your thing for Museums.
    My bro in law told me they just completely redid the Museum of Natural history and it's awesome. University Circle area as well.

OP, RShea jogged my memory with the Boston Mills/Brandywine rec (looking at their website it appears they're still skiing, maybe spring carnival?):

If you have a car and want to get out BM/BW are situated in The Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Great trails, glacier rock formations, the Erie Canal Towpath, waterfalls, wildlife... all about 20 mins south of town.

Hey, I grew up in Los Angeles, Mexico. Completely different standard of chilli and spice out there. Plus, we don't throw that shit on spaghetti. WTF's up with that. No wonder USC always beats Ohio State- the Buckeye players always have the shits.

Lemme know when you're driving down.
    Reminds me of the Ron White routine "Cincinnati Chili", hilarious.

Next time I fly up there I'm eating nothing but that shit, the cans you can get in the store don't do it justice.

My bro in law told me they just completely redid the Museum of Natural history and it's awesome. University Circle area as well.

OP, RShea jogged my memory with the Boston Mills/Brandywine rec (looking at their website it appears they're still skiing, maybe spring carnival?):

If you have a car and want to get out BM/BW are situated in The Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Great trails, glacier rock formations, the Erie Canal Towpath, waterfalls, wildlife... all about 20 mins south of town.

Reminds me of the Ron White routine "Cincinnati Chili", hilarious.

Next time I fly up there I'm eating nothing but that shit, the cans you can get in the store don't do it justice.
    It's been quite awhile since I've been to the Natural History Museum. May have to put it on the list again.

BM/BW skiing- Boston Mills is still listed as open, but last week it was warm all week- one day 75 or so at least and a bunch of rain too; really is killing things fast. The webcams show the brown areas (especially the tubing area) with only the main center of the trails they made snow on open and ski-able. Side trails probably are really questionable too unless they blew a ton of snow. http://www.bmbw.com/snowcams.html Today it is probably in the 50's, but sunny. And mid week forecast is more warmer temps and also rain:
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cle...orecast/350127 Season will be short this year with a closing date soon- early March in my opinion.

This week more temperatures above the 40's predicted and it maybe better early cycling season than most years at this time. Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the trail - either hiking it or bike ride would be worth checking out if you wanted something outdoors to do in my opinion compared to skiing.

They probably lost a bit of the polish from the RNC last summer, but still some good times can be had.
    Also forgot to add- say a prayer anytime you go past the First Energy (Cleveland Browns) Stadium, they need all the help they can get.

There's no surf in Cleveland. But it does sound like they're having fun.