Dynafit speedskin tail clips - don't try to rivet them!

So a while back I bought some Dynafit Speedskins for my wife's Baltoro skis, and being cheap I got a set on super-sale that was a little too long. No problem, I thought - I'll just take off the tail clip, cut the skin down to size, and re-rivet the clip back on.

First attempt: looks great, but on the first trip with them the tail clip rivets rip out of the back of the skin and the clip gets lost.

So I pick up a Black Diamond STS kit, cut the shredded end off the skin, and use the kit to rivet on the new tail clip with the rubber strap. Next trip out, the STS kit rivets rip off the back of the skin.

Turns out that Dynafit skins are apparently so thin, rivets won't stay in them to attach a tail clip. The factory tail clip is elaborately stitched in - that's apparently what you need to do. Wish I'd realized it before I destroyed a set of skins trying to get this to work.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Pics? It may have sheared out due to the type and direction of the weave. I've machine-sewn skins. No problem with an industrial machine.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    No problem with an industrial machine.
    If you have an industrial machine, it works well to cut the tip shorter and re-sew the plastic thingy to the skin. Kind of a pain because it's not flat, but works great.

I have some 5 old dynafit skins for my Stokes and some new skins for my Denali

The newer denali skins have the tail hooks sewn in which I had never noticed

The old stokes skins have the Tail hooks riveted on

The skin material on both versions looks exactly the same to me so i measured them with calipers and sewn or riveted both skins are 1/16th of an inch thick and both are working fine

if that dynafit tip stretcher no longer has enough adj for you or it is broken I use a 2" aluminium roofing nail and a piece of 3mm bungy with a loop tied in it ... works great and its cheap
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Wish I'd realized it before I destroyed a set of skins trying to get this to work.

what??
    a pair of skins without a tail clip isn't destroyed.
    It's actually an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    what??
    This. Or, next time try using a speedy stitcher awl. I have used that quite successfully on 3x pairs of thin rando skins.

I got tired of the OEM dynafit clips bending every time I ripped my skins. Drilled out the rivets and installed these:

https://www.wildsnow.com/15893/conto...hark-tailhook/

3 tours in and they havent ripped out yet, definitely an improvement, we will see how long they last
    If carrots got you drunk; rabbits would be fucked up.

- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I got tired of the OEM dynafit clips bending every time I ripped my skins. Drilled out the rivets and installed these:

https://www.wildsnow.com/15893/conto...hark-tailhook/

3 tours in and they havent ripped out yet, definitely an improvement, we will see how long they last
    The original clips were stainless steel and worked great, the newer aluminum ones bend very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The original clips were stainless steel and worked great, the newer aluminum ones bend very easily.
    the shark tail hook or the Dynafit tail hooks are aluminium?

both my riveted and sewn in dynafit tail hooks are SS, maybe once a season I bend them back a little but it needs pliers so they aren't soft

I have some buds with the same skins including theguide who breaks trail 8-10 weeks a year and its just not something we have had trouble with, not the clips bending or the rivets pulling out or anything ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My Manaslu, Stoke and Huascaran tail clips were steel, Denali were aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    what??
    Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    This. Or, next time try using a speedy stitcher awl. I have used that quite successfully on 3x pairs of thin rando skins.
    I've never had a problem with using no tail attachment. I like the simplicity.

Also experienced issues with rivets on the speed skins (though mine were actually La Sportivas... same skin, different color). The factory rivets on the tip pulled out, so I cut the whole tip assembly off and sewed the dynafit rubber dongle thing on. No issues since. A speedystitcher made it fairly fast